• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

8" filament wound nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Reaction score
Does anybody know where you can buy a 8" diameter 5:1 or 6:1 filament wound fiberglass nose cone? Madcow sells one but has been out of stock for more than a year. I'm starting to plan for a level 3 project (8" diameter 14 foot tall upscale Frenzy).

Last edited:
Have you called Madcow to see if they'll sell you one? I needed something that was listed as OOS on the site and they had them sitting on a shelf.

Have you called Madcow to see if they'll sell you one? I needed something that was listed as OOS on the site and they had them sitting on a shelf.

Yes I emailed him about 6 months ago. At that time he said that they were working to have more made, I assume by Curtis.

Is Curtis Turner the only source of filament wound fiberglass components for the entire hobby?

Nathan,,
Dan from Python is highly thought of and I'm sure will make you anything you want...
I don't know about filament wound though...
If you want filament wound it's awfully easy to drop a dime to Wildman and it'll be on your doorstep in a few days....

Teddy

Last edited:
I'd recommend Python. They worked with us when we built Our Children's Future and needed a 9" diameter nose cone. They're super nice to work with. Although it isn't filament wound (it's fiberglassed foam), they work incredibly well.

Dan at Python did a great job on our 12.75" 5:1 ogive, it was carbon fiber over foam with a 4" PML stuffer tube.

Thanks for the info, I think I will contact Dan at Python Rocketry when I am ready to start collecting components for my level 3 project. His fiberglassed foam nose cones look pretty good.

Nathan,
A base 8 x 40 cone with 8" shoulder would weigh approx 7-8#
With shear pin band it would be $215. The shape doesn't matter.
High temp epoxy, carbon, extra tip weight are extra options.

Dan

Nathan,
A base 8 x 40 cone with 8" shoulder would weigh approx 7-8#
With shear pin band it would be $215. The shape doesn't matter.
High temp epoxy, carbon, extra tip weight are extra options.

Dan

As a comparison, my FWFG Formula 200 NC (inlcuding coupler, tip, and bulkplate) is a hair under ten pounds.

Wow Dan,,
You sure are precise with that...
And yours come out lighter then the FWFG counterpart...
Very impressive...

Teddy

Teddy, just send it all to me and I'll tell you exactly what you have. ;)

hahahah,,
kkkkkkk

it's gonna be one heck of a box though..

Teddy

Ken at Performance Hobbies had exactly what I was looking for. I picked it up at the Battlepark launch on Saturday. The level 3 project has officially begun!

31484355201_8de7eb6d6b_b.jpg

Meanwhile, as a very large shipping container shows up in Matt's driveway .... :wink:

Looks good, Nathan. Looks almost identical to the one from my F200, except mine is black.

Yeah,, I think he'd throw up..lol..
Man is that a big cone,,
I guess there's no probs getting tracking equipment in that thing...

Teddy

Yeah,, I think he'd throw up..lol..
Man is that a big cone,,
I guess there's no probs getting tracking equipment in that thing...

Teddy

No need for a tracker. I rarely fly rockets higher than 4000 ft and one of my goals is to keep it below 4000 ft on my level 3 cert flight. If I stick with the design I have so far it will weigh about 70 lb. I'll probably use something like a M1670 Blue Streak for the cert flight, which sims at 3890 ft.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself, all I have so far is a nose cone . . .

No need for a tracker. I rarely fly rockets higher than 4000 ft and one of my goals is to keep it below 4000 ft on my level 3 cert flight. If I stick with the design I have so far it will weigh about 70 lb. I'll probably use something like a M1670 Blue Streak for the cert flight, which sims at 3890 ft.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself, all I have so far is a nose cone . . .

That's pretty funny Nathan,,
Getting a bit ahead of myself,,
All I have so far is a nosecone,,

get it,, get it,,

nosecone..

awwww ferget it... lol...

Teddy

That's pretty funny Nathan,,
Getting a bit ahead of myself,,
All I have so far is a nosecone,,

get it,, get it,,

nosecone..

awwww ferget it... lol...

Teddy

Would have been,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
funnier with a whole lot,,,,,,,,,,
more commas!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

8"! Do a build thread! Will love to see a 12' tall Nathan paint job.

Back