8" Coupler / Altimeter Bay : Does the Switch Band need to be Centered ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spigalau

Reaction score
We have just taken delivery of a 3" MAC Performance Scorpion XL which ships with an 8" long altimeter bay / coupler and has a 1" switch band.

Is there any hard and fast rule that says the 1" band must be installed in the center of the bay (3.5" from bottom or 3.5" from top) or can we position it say 2.5" from the bottom of the bay / 4.5" from top ?

EG:
oh1jasvo.j5u.jpg

The net effect being to give us an extra inch of space in the booster section and also shifting the center of gravity slightly forward. The payload section will be secured to the altimeter bay.

Thoughts ?

The rule of thumb is one tube diameter exposed on each side of the switch band. 2.5"/4.5" would work and so would 3"/4". I have seen people similarly offset their switch band for extra space in the booster and it seems to work just fine.

I short side all the time towards payload to get more room for chute gear. Really does not matter as that side gets fastener to hold coupler/avbay .

Even though I do center mine, you do not need to. I also run no switch band. I install the pull pin to exit right at the joint.

Attachments

• v 2 repairs 004.JPG
    v 2 repairs 004.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 52
Back