• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found 8” thrust plate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Williamhimka

Reaction score
I know a few guys who could probably machine one for me, but figured I’d ask here first. Thought someone might have one laying around somewhere.

Looking for an 8” diameter (stepped preferably) aluminum thrust plate with a 98mm hole. I would like it to be compatible with an AeroPack 98mm flange mount retainer.

Thanks in advance!

I know a few guys who could probably machine one for me, but figured I’d ask here first. Thought someone might have one laying around somewhere.

Looking for an 8” diameter (stepped preferably) aluminum thrust plate with a 98mm hole. I would like it to be compatible with an AeroPack 98mm flange mount retainer.

Thanks in advance!
Best to sketch up a drawing with actual dimensions you need. Plate thickness also. And material (aluminum?). I've made several and probably have the material around.

And material (aluminum?).
Aircraft grade of course. At least that’s what I thought would be best.

Is there a different/better material you would recommend?
Best to sketch up a drawing with actual dimensions you need. Plate thickness also.
I’ll get on that after a while. I was assuming I’d get a response from someone who had an SC precision plate that was never used laying around. Or just a plate in general that someone made that fits my basic description.

Does it have to be AL?
I just want it to work 😅 So not necessarily i guess. You have something?

I was planning on just ordering one from SCP sometime this weekend, so let me know soon if that's the case and you have something that might fit my interest. Thanks.

No, but I was going to suggest FG. You could fabricate exactly what you need with minimal equipment using a laser cut ply template.

01.jpg02.jpg
05.jpg

Appreciate the idea and will be sure to give it some thought. Thanks for the info!

I use G10/FR4 (fiberglass) for thrustplates on my 4" and smaller birds. I'm with Allen, research using some appropriately heavy FR4. On my CNC router I recently cut a 5.5" thrust plate from 6061 AL for a friend, and my 6" L3 bird had a similarly fabricate thrust plate. If you're interested DM me, although I think just finding an AL one for purchase will be easier.

I would also put my recommendation here to go with SCP for an aluminum plate. I looked at the 8"/98mm plate they have online right now and it is a good deal at ~$88. I have been CNCing all my own wood, composite and aluminum CRs, BHs, and thrust plates for years now and I can tell you the price of aluminum has pretty much doubled (or more) since COVID. I had to replace a lot of my aluminum stock recently - it was eye wateringly expensive. For 8" plates, I usually use 1/4" 6061 stock and I don't know if I can CNC my own 8" plates right now for any less than ~$88, so the SCP product is a great product at a competitive price.

And Scott - I did end up getting a set of the Unistrut airfoils from Kenny - awesome! Hope to see them come back online - great product!

Last edited:
Back