7x38MM cluster rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ether

Reaction score
starting to gather pieces for a cluster rocket.

will use 7 38MM motor tubes as exposed portion of the airframe then transition to a 4" body tube.

have not finalized the design, have focused on the motor tube to airframe connection, aero transition pieces, centering rings for the motor tube and accommodating wiring and motor retention

design inspired by the Saturn 1b SA5 and cool HP rockets of the 80s (Loc TopGun / Tri-Star and NCR Katana)

Have not yet settled on the fin design - torn between the Nike booster style fins or NCR Katana style fins. Biased towards the conical nosecone look.

this project is near the bottom of my build queue, will gather pieces as I order parts for other projects

electronics will be eggtimer protons (dual for redundancy) and horizontal camera - likely will use a AV package that I'm building for another project - trying to make more parts of my rockets modular to share electronics and trackers.

here is a mock up of the major pieces using some spare 4inch body tube and nose cone - plastic bag holding the 38MM tubes at the moment - nothing put together yet

Used fusion 360 to create the STL file of aero pieces for 3d printing

Given the complexity of clusters, going to be rather deliberate in the build and initial flights. Would love to make this a 4 stage with 2 motors ignited at launch, then stage 2 - 2x38 motors, stage 3 2-38 motors and finally stage 4 the central 38, going for a long total duration burn of 20-30 seconds. Not the cheapest way to do it, but if it works should be fun to watch.

20201011_120754.jpg
1602480853437.png
1602480919591.png

Last edited:
LOC Ultimate Max, 4" with 7 29 mm mounts. Flies well on anything from 7 Estes F15's to 7 CTI or Aerotech I motors. Mine weighs 6 lb. prepped but without motors, dual deploy.
7 Estes F15's
H399 and 2 G64's

LOC Ultimate Max, 4" with 7 29 mm mounts. Flies well on anything from 7 Estes F15's to 7 CTI or Aerotech I motors. Mine weighs 6 lb. prepped but without motors, dual deploy.
7 Estes F15's
H399 and 2 G64's

Very nice, that H399 + 2G64s was great. What did you do to get the G64s airstarted in terms of igniters? Dipped ematch? Pyrodex pellet?

I like it. Any updates on acquiring more parts?

Got the internal parts to mate the 38mm tubes to the 4inch body. Will use the electronics and nose cone from another rocket I'm building, will make this a fast build once I get to this project in earnest.

The airstarts will be pretty cool, looking forward to seeing this fly.
I like to use down facing camera for my two stagers/airstarts to see the stages igniting. here’s one I did with 2 sets of airstarts

Back