787 First Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets hope the weather holds. I think they want VFR Weather at the airport.

I'm very excited about this, this aircraft is the first real new technology for airliners in 50 years. I'll be landing in Seattle at 9:46, just to early to see it fly.

Lets hope the weather holds. I think they want VFR Weather at the airport.

I'm very excited about this, this aircraft is the first real new technology for airliners in 50 years. I'll be landing in Seattle at 9:46, just to early to see it fly.

I agree totally. In fact I would say that as soon as it goes wheels up for the first flight it makes all other mid size airliners obsolete. Unless the test flight is totally unsuccessful which I doubt will be the case, the folks at Boeing know what they are doing.

Enjoy . . .

Have been fortunate enough to get the entire tour, inside and out. It's a pretty slick airplane, but for us coach paying passengers, the seating configuration is nothing different than you're already used to. It just feels more spacious due to to the overhead bin configuration and the led lighting. But, you're still going wish that large person wasn't sitting next to you.

In fact I would say that as soon as it goes wheels up for the first flight it makes all other mid size airliners obsolete.

Shame none of the airlines have any money at the moment. ;)

Phil

Have been fortunate enough to get the entire tour, inside and out ...

Troy,

Did they mention the use of composites during the tour? I wouldn't be surprised if Boeing has developed some proprietary methods for processing the composite structures.

Greg

Troy,

Did they mention the use of composites during the tour? I wouldn't be surprised if Boeing has developed some proprietary methods for processing the composite structures.

Greg

Yes, I took both the standard public tour, then was able to pull some strings and get my team the VIP, on ground, tour. We saw the laying of the composites on video. Impressive as all heck.

I think the most impressive feature though, for me, by far was the blended wing concept. If you look at the actual wing, it's a blended wing shape that tapers to a point where winglets are simply not needed.

I will state thought, that as impressive as the 787 is, I was more impressed with the 747-8. 18' longer and the first class cabin, semi-private rooms are to die for. You have your own lounge chair with foot rest and an accompanying twin bed - walled in to a height of about three feet. As opposed to the A380, the 747-8 requires no modifications to any existing airport; whereas the A380 requires extensive modifications at airport or government expense. The 747-8 was made to ensure there was no additional cost to any airport or government improvement funds.

haha i think we killed the server.... :p

Network Error Error Code 503

A communication error occurred: "" The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

It's off an operational! Have a reception team waiting down at Boeing Field in Tukwila, if you can make it down that way.

I've been working on the 787 for a year and a half now, it wa great to see it finally get in the air. :D:D:D:D

It's off an operational! Have a reception team waiting down at Boeing Field in Tukwila, if you can make it down that way.

What time do you want me there! I'm 15 min away. Landing at 2:30?

Estimated landing 1:22pm at Boeing Field, Tukwila. Should have I-5 traffic snarled a bit.

The wings that don't flex are the one's you need to worry about.

The 787 is a beautiful airplane.

Agree agree!!! Being both an R/C and Full Scale (in training) glider pilot, I concurr!

And yes a very beautiful plane. We could have built a large plane like the A380, and we might still for military applications some day, but smaller, faster, and 4 times more fuel efficient than that A380 is a win-win-win in my book!

Jonathan :grinch:

The Sonic Cruiser was still a lot cooler, but mini-vans haul more people than Corvettes do.

Just watched the post flight news conference on the webcast. Sounds like all went exceptionally well except for the weather. Typical, two weeks of clear skies and it finally clouds up and starts raing two days before the first flight.

I had debated about trying to drive over and photograph the first landing, but then they cut the flight short by a couple of hours and I am still working, so didn't get the chance.

OK, but what's that thing hanging off the top of the tail? A drogue chute?

OK, but what's that thing hanging off the top of the tail? A drogue chute?

Someone on another forum said it was a special data-link antenna, which strikes me as entirely reasonable given the nature of the flight.

James

I heard that it was a static pressure cone to provide a reliable static pressure reference, since the static pressure ports were not yet calibrated. As for the antenna theory, I would guess that the antennas would not be difficult to run internally, so I wouldn't think it would need any sort of an antenna hanging off the tail.

CJL is correct and has the correct reason.

It is a static pressure sensor.

The wing flex is totally normal. Nothing that would concern me at all. The C-5 wings flex 13ft in flight!

The engines are VERY clean, add to that, that it burns 20% less than any other aircraft of its size.

That is called flex?

Second thing that stood out. Scary. First was the engine exhaust. Expected something cleaner.

When engines are started, there is a large amount of smoke because there is unburned or partially burned fuel until the air flow increases as the engine spools up. Also some oil burning off.

Once up to speed, very little smoke and much lower emissions that old gas turbines.

One only needs to watch a loaded B-52 take off from a front or rear view to enjoy wing flex. :)

The only thing I noticed on the exhaust was the nice thick thermal distortion made more noticeable by the cold wet weather.

BTW, is the 747-8 getting a similarly designed composite wing? The drawings look similar to the 787 wing design.

Back