75mm Reload Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenman

Reaction score
Is there a SPECIFIC reason that there is a threaded hole at the top of my AMW 75mm reload kit? Is this for an eye bolt?

You'll find that many plugged closures are drilled/tapped for an eyebolt. The theory is that the motor mount is the strongest part of your rocket and you might as well harness to it. Having said that, an eyebolt isn't necessarily the only use. You can also use it for some form of forward motor retention...

Last edited:
You'll find that many plugged closures are drilled/tapped for an eyebolt. The theory is that the motor mount is the strongest part of your rocket and you might as well harness to it. Having said that, an eyebolt isn't necessarily the only use. You can also use it for some form of forward motor retention...

CAUTION!! Some bulkheads have a tiny pinhole (like 1mm) at the bottom of the threaded portion going to the inside where the smoke grain goes. this is to relieve the air and make putting in large smoke grains easier. YOU MUST use aneyebolt in this case or run the risk of burning up your whole recovery area (im telling you this from experience) its can be a costly mistake! If you don't need it for recovery just stick a bolt or piece of threaded rod in there as a safe guard.

Ben

That's a good caution, Ben! Who does that with their casings? I haven't seen it before...

I have a gorilla motor works BH that has it and AMW might since they are (cough) clones :p

It was the flight in my dads nike smoke. 76-7000 Super Polish Rojo. One of the greates boosters. Burned the TAC-9 and 75feet of bright yellow 1" TN into a nasty black ball of nylon. I wish I would have kept it. It was quite a conversation piece lol

Ben

The AMW 75/3500 case has a pinhole. The smoke grain O-rings do seal and it is not necessary to use a bolt in the closure. An eyebolt or threaded rod in the closure is needed to remove the bulkhead after flight.

The AMW 75/3500 case has a pinhole. The smoke grain O-rings do seal and it is not necessary to use a bolt in the closure. An eyebolt or threaded rod in the closure is needed to remove the bulkhead after flight.

It wouldn't be bad insurance. I thought my Orings would seal too! They didnt!!

Ben

It wouldn't be bad insurance. I thought my Orings would seal too! They didnt!!

Ben

Were yours on an EX load? That's not really comparable to a commercial load (which should definitely seal).

Were yours on an EX load? That's not really comparable to a commercial load (which should definitely seal).

why is it not comparable to a commercial load? I used the same exact casting tubes, orings, and bulkhead as a commercial load. and added an 1/8" cap of epoxy.

Plenty comparable.

Ben

Only the bulkhead for the 1700, 2500, and 3500 AMW motor has the pinhole. The 6000 and 7600 does not have one since they use a full diameter smoke.

Back