• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

75mm modular 3D printed sled issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
I own a 3D printed75mm Orange modular sled and a 3D printed 75mm Blue modular sled. The blue one is designed for missile works and the orange is made for all others. I like this product. I use it because it works in a tight spot. The issue I have is this the blue one for missile works in the 75mm configuration only has the one hole for a switch, it does not have the 2 side mounted holes for the screw switches. Sure I could just buy a orange one and drill holes on top for the RRC3 and then drill holes on the back for the RRC2+. Other options are to in the blue one drill the holes in the side for the screw switches but with that the plastic is thin and not built up and I worry about splitting the plastic. I have contacted the manufacturer and I guess they dont do custom. What options do I have?

thanks

I have glued PLA parts with LocTite Ultra Gel Superglue, then tack melted the corners or edges together with my soldiering iron.

There are a few choices, although none are ideal:
1. The simplest solution is that the 2 pole rotary switch sold by MW (SKU-SW2) is DPST, so 2 circuits can be controlled by this one switch. i.e. both would be simultaneously turned on/off. However, although the simplest solution, redundancy is lost.
2. The use of 2 slide pin switches as displayed in the Perfectflite stratologger CF manual can be placed sequentially and both operated on one single pull-pin. However, the dimensions of the switch (~ 1 inch in length) may not fit within the MW blue sled.
3. Call MW and ask if the use of a high speed drill (press) would facilitate screw switch placement or not. Or, acquire a similar thickness of ABS, drill and see if it works or cracks.
4. Mount the screw switch to a piece of plywood that fits the sled. Then epoxy the complex to the sled.

Hope this helps.

Fred, L2
member of ICBM, Camden (SC)
KG4YGP

I've drilled holes in the thin part of those sleds next to the rotary switch hole to mount magnetic switches, and launched it over 75 G. I didn't even back it with a nut. I just drilled it so the 4-40 screw was a tight fit.

I've drilled holes in the thin part of those sleds next to the rotary switch hole to mount magnetic switches, and launched it over 75 G. I didn't even back it with a nut. I just drilled it so the 4-40 screw was a tight fit.

Good to know it works that way.

I thought about calling missile works and asking them to ask the manufacturer to make one custom. Maybe a dealer of his products would get better headway. Manufacturers may listen to their dealers better than a common man.

let me know what your specs are and I can let you know. I have been in the process of designing parts for altimeter bays for my rockets.

best regards, Steve Thatcher
TRA #1424 NAR #54230

I dont have any specs. I just want the 3d printed 75mm modular sled that will fit the rrc3 on top with 2 side screw switch mounts.

I asked for specs because you had mentioned them... :) I guess you meant the specs were adding two switches. My issue is that I don't have a Missile Works sled so I have absolutely nothing to go by. I also don't know what size constraints you have for your ebay. I would be more than willing to work with you on a design for what you need. You may also be interested in the development of parts that I have been working on. It would be easier to take this offline if you want to pursue a custom solution. Let me know.

Best regards, Steve
[email protected]

If you need it printed, I might be able to help depending on the size.

Did you get this fixed or reprinted? I have a 3-D printer and would be willing to print it out for you if you have a drawing or file I can see.

Back