75mm fly-away rail guide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEmery

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to try out the 75mm fly-away rail guide from Mayhem Rocketry (via AMW Pro-X) this weekend. I put this on my Mongoose 75. It was too loose, so I superglued some pieces of the fat rubber bands inside and it gripped the rocket just fine. The first flight was on an Aerotech K560W.

20160528-IMG_0103.jpg

The next day I used the rail guide on the Mongoose 75 again, this time with an Aerotech M1297W. The flight was great.

20160529-IMG_0131.jpg

Unfortunately, the plastic on the rail guide broke. I can not see the part that broke when zooming in on the above picture, so I do not know if it broke from hitting the fin or from hitting the ground.

20160529-IMG_0136.jpg

I really like these so far. Anyone know if you can get a replacement part?

Dale

Last edited:
I think if you contact Bill he will stand behind his product. https://www.rocketryforum.com/member.php?15078-wfcook

I met Bill this weekend and he personally set me up with a 54mm fly-away-guide and even loaded it on the pad for me. I launched twice. First launch was on a 54mm Loki Red J300 to 9000' and the second launch was on a CTI J145 Skid to about 4000'. I was a bit nervous to try the fly-away-rail-guide but it worked flawlessly and I would recommend the 54mm to anyone, I also picked up a 38mm one.

BTW, thanks a bunch Bill, it was great to meet you.

I received a picture from another member of our rocketry group, and his picture was slightly later than mine. It shows the plastic part broken in the air, so it was from a fin strike. The rail guide was as far aft as it could go, I think the M1297W motor was too much.

I broke a 38mm fly-away rail guide on a high-G launch, and Bill replaced it immediately without question. They definitely stand behind the product.

These look interesting. Certainly easier than a tower.

What did you see on the M1297 for altitude?

Gee, is there anything that can be done to lessen the chance of a fin strike? Off-hand...I can't think of anything...

Mayhem Bill is top notch,,,
He'll take care of you...

I really like these fly away rail guides...

Teddy

Thanks for your endorsement, Teddy and others. I will obviously be replacing this set of guides. I try to make them as bulletproof as possible, but things happen. I've seen a few break due to an unusual fin strike angle or ferocity or landing on concrete, hitting the pad, etc. To date I haven't heard of one that failed to send a rocket in a safe, upward direction, and that is my primary concern.

In any case, Dale should get a new set of plastic before his next launch.

I think if you contact Bill he will stand behind his product. https://www.rocketryforum.com/member.php?15078-wfcook

I met Bill this weekend and he personally set me up with a 54mm fly-away-guide and even loaded it on the pad for me. I launched twice. First launch was on a 54mm Loki Red J300 to 9000' and the second launch was on a CTI J145 Skid to about 4000'. I was a bit nervous to try the fly-away-rail-guide but it worked flawlessly and I would recommend the 54mm to anyone, I also picked up a 38mm one.

BTW, thanks a bunch Bill, it was great to meet you.

I enjoyed your flight a great deal and it was a pleasure to meet you guys. Did you get a sense for whether the rocket performed as expected?

Back