75% Earth Forces Starfighter Centuri #5335

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenP

Reaction score
Inspired by another thread here, we are all a bunch of enablers here aren't we, I drew up a 75% size Buck Rogers Earth Forces Starfighter for 13 mm power. I have not built this one yet, but wanted to share the template here. I might find some things that don't fit right during a build and will make adjustments and if so, I will post an updated model later. If anyone wants to give this one a try and finds any problems with it let me know. It will likely need a bit of clay in both nose cones, which you could substitute the Estes BT-20 plastic cones if you prefer. You would need to be familiar with basic cardstock methods like rolling tubes, laminating cardstock in multiple layers, etc, and refer to the original instructions for the kit here:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/cen5335.htm
I pretty much use a glue stick for most of the build, and white Glue All for attaching fins for these LPR cardstock models. Here are some thumbnails of a few pages:

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 3.28.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-10 at 3.28.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-10 at 3.28.19 PM.png

If you want to scratch build one and paint and apply decals, you can use the original scanned decal sheet and print it at 75% size, this is basically how I redrew them here. But I made the color bars a bit wider so they will show up better on this smaller model, since that is really one of the best parts! The Decals PDF has the original sheet from JimZ and my redrawn decals that are used in the paper template.

Attachments

• StarFighter.pdf
    871.6 KB · Views: 46
  • StarFighterDecals75.pdf
    767.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
This is excellent. If you had done this earlier it might have saved me a bunch of money. Of course, I think my thread was the one that inspired you so that wouldn't have happened for me either. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

This is excellent. If you had done this earlier it might have saved me a bunch of money. Of course, I think my thread was the one that inspired you so that wouldn't have happened for me either. Great work. Thanks for sharing.
But there’s nothing like the original kit. I added a link to your thread above, thanks for the inspiration!

Starting with the thicker card sheet, I laminated this 5 ply 110# cardstock, with each layer rotated 90-deg, ie alternating portrait and landscape. Paper has a grain like wood, so this helps to keep the parts stable a bit. This is the last stack of 4 ply glued to the final 5th ply before separating the parts and cutting to final size. Final 5 ply parts are not as thick as original kit full size, I am trying to keep the weight down for this mini downscale, and this will be plenty strong.

C11AAB94-54E4-419A-B8C6-9318F3E39D29.jpeg

I use the big scissors for the straight cuts and the little ones or an X-acto for the smaller curves and details. This is the thin die cut sheet, made with 3-ply 110# card stock, top and bottom portrait and middle in landscape orientation of the paper.

AB7E8B5C-06D1-4CA0-8D39-244E33A31F6C.jpeg

Last edited:
the story so far…. Parts from the thick and thin die cut sheets:

C91DCB81-1674-44E2-8F77-91A2721BE445.jpeg

I also cut out the panels on the lower body plate, the dark shaded regions, there are a couple of plate cover/door hatches on the single ply sheet that will cover those up. I took some artistic license with the shading since this sheet is not embossed like the original.

3D82252A-EE37-466B-BA68-7117D6FFBEFF.jpeg

Last edited:
You're doing nice work. Please keep posting.
What size motor are you going to use?

You're doing nice work. Please keep posting.
What size motor are you going to use?
Thanks! This one has been on my mind for a while, really fun to actually get this build started. Planning for a 13mm mount, rear eject. I am hoping the 75% scale and thinner cardstock parts will keep my weight down. Should not be any heavier than a Lynx or Scorpion, hopefully.

you can laminate these with cereal box cardboard, but I like to use the white cardstock paper so that the cut edges will color match better.

I have recorded some videos along the way, but they seem very slow moving and boring. I may just speed them up 2x and use Yakety Sax as the soundtrack.

Last edited:
GlenP,
I have these drawing of the Buck Roger Starfighter with a little detail drawn into the patterns.
If you like you could reduce the drawing down to match your patterns if you like or build two, one with the detail and one without.
Do what you like just continue up the good work.

Attachments

• canopy-uppertailfinsblack-port-starb White copy_edited-1.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 27
  • lower wings White copy.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • lowerassemblies White copy.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • mainplate-bottom White copy.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • mainplate-top copy.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Port and Starboard White tube Wraps.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Paper nose cones White.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
GlenP,
I have these drawing of the Buck Roger Starfighter with a little detail drawn into the patterns.
If you like you could reduce the drawing down to match your patterns if you like or build two, one with the detail and one without.
Do what you like just continue up the good work.
Thanks for sharing those detailed drawings, those are incredible, do you have any pictures of that model built? Looks amazing, I might try to do another build with those at 75% size. Cutting all those cardstock parts is a lot of work though.

No, I never did. I worked a couple of weeks sizing and drawing the panel lines and coloring things up and then rocket ADHD set in and another rocket project got started and another and so on. Have you ever had that problem? I also did another paint scheme in black to represent a stealth Starfighter. I like to draw.

I cut out the thin cardstock sheet and built up the canopy. This is just one layer of 110# paper. It has the lower body plate and the panel covers also. I might spread a thin layer of white glue inside the canopy for a bit of strength.

To clean up the cuts in those small curves on the thick card parts I just roll up some fine grain sandpaper around a thin skewer or dowel and sand them out a little.

84753DF0-E75A-4853-B6A8-406CDCB4ACB3.jpeg

remaining sheets are for the engine mount and body tubes and nose cone transitions.

Last edited:
sorry to leave this one hanging, but I got involved in another project and this one has been on hold for a while. I hope to resume the build with rolling the tubes soon. Don't mean to leave the three of you in suspense.

To roll the lug, motor mount and body tubes I used a BBQ skewer, a 1/2” dia dowel, and a few 18mm motors taped together. The tape can be easily removed and the engines can be used later, either unburned engines or spent casings work fine. Just a rough dry stack up here:

5D3BA16A-8DDE-4011-A655-5D3CEE36A54A.jpeg

Really starting to look good. I like the looks of the parts marking, sometimes less detail is better than a lot.
Can't wait for the next installment. :bravo:

Really starting to look good. I like the looks of the parts marking, sometimes less detail is better than a lot.
Can't wait for the next installment. :bravo:
Thanks!
I tried to just stick with the original kit decals as much as possible. When you downscale these there just is not a lot of room for much more detail anyway. This is kind of a test build, if any thing does not line up right I may have to adjust and redraw the template.

Nose cones are next…
6BB3AEAA-8A1A-4AB8-ACAD-BB5076D18902.jpeg

Last edited:
It's alright GlenP, we all have rocket ADHD.:questions:
Actually, I was not sidetracked by another rocket build project this time, rather I signed up to play guitar with the school orchestra in a high school musical, and had to learn a lot of new music and attend several practices and performances last week with another set of shows coming up this weekend. That was a lot of work, but great fun. The kids put on a great show.

Great build. That is one that I have always wanted to build.
Thanks! Feel free to try it, this is one you can 2D print!

The rear eject chute was a common failure, pack it too tightly and you would get a double core sample!

Great build. That is one that I have always wanted to build.
Ditto. Back in 2001 the Draconian Marauder was readily available online and I picked one up. The Earth Forces Starfighter was also available, but it consistently sold for double what I paid for the DM, so I passed. My butt is still black and blue from the frequent kickings I gave myself.

Ditto. Back in 2001 the Draconian Marauder was readily available online and I picked one up. The Earth Forces Starfighter was also available, but it consistently sold for double what I paid for the DM, so I passed. My butt is still black and blue from the frequent kickings I gave myself.

I have thought about designing a 3D printed version. I would still use cardboard tubes.

Back