7 M's Crazy Jim Drag Race

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
HI Guys.......on my way back from LDRS first night, will take several days to get back.

How's about anyone with shots of the race posting a few.

I got some good pre-race shots, but was obviously busy watching mine to get any after the button was pushed.

It will be well remembered.

The roar was ear splitting, the flash, bang and upward smoke trails of seeing 7 M powered rockets headed toward the perfect blue, clear sky was a feast of input for the senses. One was overcome by the euphoria of the event!

All were powered by my thermite igniters and ignition was instantaneous for all 7 irregardless of the size difference of the rockets.

Thanks to all who entered and the LDRS crew who let 7 crazy nuts unleash chaos and mayhem for those few spectacular moments!

The bullets lined up for the trip to the away cell.

My rocket "Cherry Bomb " [M2200 skid] attended to by a friendly alien from Kentucky.

Bob next to his M-2200 skid.

The rickety pontoon bridge I had to cross on my mile plus trek to retrieve my rocket after it's 15,350 foot flight. Notice 2 of the pontoons are missing and one of the remaining 2 is hanging by a thread. It was like walking over the rope bridge in a fun house.
The fish were so scared they wouldn't even swim under it!.

100_2839.jpg

100_2850.jpg

100_2853.jpg

100_2882.jpg

Last edited:
Jim hats off to you for the event it looked sweet. Maybe We can get a 4 way O sparky drag at Red Glare ;)

Ben

Yes , Yes, we need to see a launch pictures.

But I also understand why you don't have some, I'm Busy watching too!

now we just need a watcher, any takers?

Don with his Skiddy.....

Paul with his AT KBA M 1450

Mike with his KBA M3500.

He [Mike]was the one that approached me at the launch, and replaced Jim Scarpinie who instigated this race by demanding a rematch on our NSL fiasco.

I was driving to LDRS when my phone rang and Jim was on the other end and sadly due to last minute events could not attend. So a seeming no go turned into a snowball headed down hill out of control.
Some one overheard Mike and I talking about it and asked if they could join in. And so it went until 15 had signed up. But by race day several were no shows, or as I like to call them "MILD MEN NOT WILD MEN"

We had the needed pads and fliers at the ready when 2 more M rockets showed up out of no where and had to be turned down, for it was 2 late to get any more pads to the away cell. [Sorry Guys, Next time!!!]

100_2855.jpg

100_2858.jpg

100_2859.jpg

Charlie and his KBA M1450

The Kentucky Alien [Darryl] with his M-1450.
Who by the way seemed like he was first off the pad and accordingly declared himself the winner. Since he has already worn the infamous "Sunflower dress" I guess it's Ok. At this point he also has the highest flight at 18,000 plus.

But just so you know... the rules for this CJ race stated that anyone who entered could declare himself the winner. Thus ensuring several arguments and many possible rematches.

As far as I'm concerned all of you were winners and it was an honor to fly with you!!

And a shot from the scene of the crime looking back to the flight line.

100_2860.jpg

100_2862.jpg

100_2864.jpg

Last edited:
Here's "ALL THE USUAL SUSPECTS" lined up and ready for inspection and their Hemi igniter's to be installed.

Some one actually had the nerve to ask if I'd ever done this before and was I crazy........Hmmmmmmm.

Finally our Nadine, she's always taking pics of everyone's rocket, at every event since time began [ sorry Nadine LOL] and never get's to see herself in any. SO here ya are darl'n. Look for this event in her next Calendar [2010 or 2011??] release. It will be a doozy

100_2866.jpg

100_2867.jpg

Last edited:
So if you have any pictures of the Greatest Crazy Jim Drag race ever..... or know of anyone who has some.....
.............post them or call them and tell them to post them.

Even better would be some Video.........................

Thanks CJ

IMG_0622.jpg

Really upsets me I couldnt make it. BTW,WHO"S idea was this anyway? Cmon,give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing, Crazy Jim, et al! That must have been very cool to watch in person.

Well here is a try at some pics.

...available in 7.1...

STEREO SURROUND ROCKETS!

...to attendees of said event and only at the time of the event. No warrantees expressed nor implied. blah blah blah!...

Nice photos! Wish I was there for that. The "Yin-Yang" ( 4th pic) of the aftermath deserves some mondo credit! Kudos to all involved!

Last edited:
Jim are you going to be at O'burg this week? If you are I'll bring along a shot that I got for you...I little different persective - I was on the far right hand side of the flight line...

Let me know,

Todd

Here's one;

SkdDragRacemed.jpg

JD

Hey Jimbo!!! I did give you credit read the 4th post......replacing Jim who INSTIGATED this whole thing

Yea,I missed that the first time buddy,sorry about that. In my haste to get to the pictures,I just skimmed over the text. BTW, its Scarpine, not Scarpinie. I really hate it that I missed it. I will see you at the Freedom Launch in Orangeburg.

Last edited:
Yea,I missed that the first time buddy,sorry about that. In my haste to get to the pictures,I just skimmed over the text. BTW, its Scarpine, not Scarpinie. I really hate it that I missed it. I will see you at the Freedome Launch in Orangeburg.

That has a nice ring "jim Scarpinie" ;) nice rhyme :p

You need to start making some launches man. Pauls 3rd launch was an LDRS! Keep up ;)

Ben

The rickety pontoon bridge I had to cross on my mile plus trek to retrieve my rocket after it's 15,350 foot flight. Notice 2 of the pontoons are missing and one of the remaining 2 is hanging by a thread. It was like walking over the rope bridge in a fun house.
The fish were so scared they wouldn't even swim under it!.

I was wondering about that. On Sunday or Monday (it all runs together now) there was an announcement asking for someone with a truck to haul a small boat out into the field to cross a "large" ditch and recover a rocket. Would this be the same ditch and did the bridge break? Is that why they needed the boat?

The Kentucky Alien [Darryl] with his M-1450.
Who by the way seemed like he was first off the pad and accordingly declared himself the winner. Since he has already worn the infamous "Sunflower dress" I guess it's Ok. At this point he also has the highest flight at 18,000 plus.

BTW, I spoke with the Crazy Alien yesterday, and he's disappointed you didn't give him the winner's kiss! :p

-Kevin

Back