7 Ls? One 8" rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClusterWiz

Reaction score
Well after having my Apocalypse (4" rocket with 7 H268R!) for a while I want to do an upscale of it. The upscale would be 8" in diameter, 12ft. tall and for first flight I would like to do it on 4 L1100RR and airstart 3 K975WW. It will have a vertically mounted boostervision camera and a horizontal DVD Handycam. I must use 8" tubes because if I use 7.5" I would not be able to bring the 1/4 honeycomb nomex sandwich fins all the way to the center tube. And to keep it light and cheep I want to lay up my own tubes out of 1/8 honeycomb nomex and fiberglass. https://www.jcrocket.com/honeycomb.shtml
Do you think this will be strong enough if I ever want to use all L1300BB in it? I think the rocket will be between 90-100lbs. fully loaded. Thanks for your input.

Wow! 7 L1300BB=N9100!!!

Don't know about the tubes but that should be real cool. I hope someone with better experience with honeycomb will chime in. PLS post a .rkt file once you got the basic plan!!!

If you guys want a sim file here it is. I dont have the .eng file of the L1100RR or L1300BB yet.

Youll want to put the fins so they arnt going right through the motor mounts in the rsim file like so... And streamers are usually 10:1 lenth to width, so I changed that too... (sorry, I cant help myself, I just like tweakin' rsims... :D)

Though, instead of a streamer... Has anyone ever tied a beadsheet to a rocket for a streamer? Does that work? :D ;)

Or... You could buy 20 yards of ripstop ($100 from Joan Fabrics, with a coupon) and just sew one of the short ends over a few times, stick a gromet in there, and tie your shock cord through it...

OK. Enough theorizing, im sure you already have this figured out. ;) :eek: :D

Oh, heres the rsim I tweaked for fun.

Renamed the motor mount tubes, renamed the altimeter bays, accelermometer bays ETC, plus gave it my fauvorite paint scheme :D With a few extra parts so the paint scheme was possible... Dont mind them... ;)

Originally posted by Neil
Youll want to put the fins so they arnt going right through the motor mounts in the rsim file like so..

I cant see the Rsim, but I am pretty sure that is exactly what you do want

Me too!!! Gotta get off the demo and get the real deal!!!:D

I had the color perfect. And some how you managed to have the fins gowning right though the motor tubes. And you messed it all up! The nose cone is gold leafed of the original and I wrapped the tube in a chrome paper. I will have the body tube chromed in the 8" version. And the nosecone gold plated. You can do it if you spray it with a conductive paint. I would show you the original. but how do you upload pictures that are to big to atatch?

If you are referring to my fun in Rocksim in "repainting" your model, you still have your old rsim, I didnt delete it when I posted "my" version... I was just having a bit of fun... :rolleyes:

I know that. I was just messing with you. But do you seriously think that your paint scheme is better than chrome and gold!?

Well, I hadnt realized that it WAS chrome from the rsim... I was just playing with it, and, since I like that paint scheme, I tried it, and it looked nice to me. But, I have to agree, the chrome and gold DOES look better, in real life at least. In rsim, I still think my paint scheme looks better ;) But rsim cant DO chrome as far as I know, so its a moot point ;)

Pretty rocket, BTW! :D I like those pics...

Originally posted by gerbs4me
sweet looking rocket:)

You don't want to see it out in the sun on a nice day. You will loose your retinas.

EDIT: I'm serious. If it catches the sun right, it is much worse than a camera flash.

Originally posted by solrules
You don't want to see it out in the sun on a nice day. You will loose your retinas.

EDIT: I'm serious. If it catches the sun right, it is much worse than a camera flash.

Polished aluminum acts the same way. Weld fins to the motor casing, polish that bad boy up, and you can see it glinting in the sunlight when it's at 25k over the desert. ;)

--Alex

That rocket isn’t chromed. I got some sticky chrome paper from a sign shop here in Dodgeville. You just peel of the backing and stick it right on the tube. For the larger version I do plan on having it chromed. You paint it with a conductive paint first. Then they do the regular chroming process like any other. Will be kind of pricy though.

Well after playing around with Rocksim a little more I found out that if I make the ID 8.125" I can fit a 75mm in the center. and use an M in the center with the 6 Ls around it. I would get it faster and higher but I still dont know if I like it thought. Not counting it would cost more to. What do you guys all think?

I'd say do it. You could fly it on an M alone if the rocket isn't too heavy. And then you can do airstarts or something. I think it would actually add more versatility and would be cheaper to fly. The only problem is making tubes but it's a good thing to learn. I'm 100% in support of adding an M in there.

Back