7.5" Sonotube rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPatell

Reaction score
This is my other other LDRS project:) 7.5" sonotube rocket. I don't know what the final length will be, but it will be long. The nosecone is hot wire cut foam, then chucked up on one of the lathes to size, then glassed. It has a 3" motor mount with about 42" of motor space:)

I need to work on an altimeter bay soon, as well as figuring out recovery. I plan to make a chute out of one of the childrens gym class parachutes! Cheap, colorful, and ripstop nylon:)

What you see in the picture is about 13#, and the large tube on the right is 48" long.

Here is that long tube fiberglassed. Lots of fiberglass, and lots of resin. I got a little bit of bubbling where I tried to peel the tubes.

My recommendation to everyone. DON'T PEEL! Sand EVERY tube you glass, peeling will cause inconsistancies unless you remove every last part of the layer you want to remove.

stop making bigger rockets than me!

seriously though it looks nice.

Nice rocket Dan.

On the sono tubes, if you do not peel but sand instead, make sure you use 60 & 80 grit paper. You really want to score the outer layer which is a moisture barrier. If the epoxy does not get through the barrier, it will peel off during flight. I've seen this happen on two local L3 attempts.

One more thing. the interior of those tubes have a wax coating as a release agent for when the concrete is cured. You MUST peel this layer or nothing will stick to the interior of the tube.

Mark - I did not peel the inside layer:mad:, although I did sand it. I figure what I will do is locate the three CR's and externally pin them to the body tube. Should this be sufficient?

Dan,

Have been wanting to tell you that it looks like both you and your rockets grew since last year!!! It really looks great and I can't wait to see it go, hopefully at LDRS.

Once again, Great job! :)

Carl

Back