65th Anniversary Estes Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Doesn't seem to have a cylindrical section in the exposed portion. I think the taper is just slight.

I think the plastic version of the nose cone has a cylindrical section before it starts to taper. I wouldn't mind the measurements of that nosecone.

Just musing... anyone else think Estes found a buttload (~300) of these cones in storage and are just using them up? I mean, SPEVs are great fun, right?

Are they producing anything else with balsa cones ATM?
A buttload of nosecones? Ewwww... Brown nosers...

It'snot... 300 is more like a snootful of nosecones.

Last edited:
i think buttload is more realistic. i don't think you could fit 300 of those in any terran 'nose', even an elephants trunk, but i can think of several mammals whose anal cavity might support that number. note: i don't think a whales blow hole should count as a nose.

i think buttload is more realistic. i don't think you could fit 300 of those in any terran 'nose', even an elephants trunk, but i can think of several mammals whose anal cavity might support that number. note: i don't think a whales blow hole should count as a nose.
I'd much rather try to get an elephant to pick up 300 nosecones with its trunk, than to foolishly try to insert them in *ANY* cavity of that animal.

Just musing... anyone else think Estes found a buttload (~300) of these cones in storage and are just using them up? I mean, SPEVs are great fun, right?

Are they producing anything else with balsa cones ATM?

I personally feel like Estes had a local manufacturer make them 300 balsa cones for this run. I wouldn't be surprised if they came from E-Rockets or BMS. Looking at the cone in my buddies kit, the quality and finish looked like something from Randy. I've never seen an Estes Balsa cone that nice before.

I also feel like we're going to see this kit again in the 2024 lineup with the plastic cone.

I also feel like we're going to see this kit again in the 2024 lineup with the plastic cone.

Same here. If I had known it was a balsa cone, I would have processed the one in my cart instead of deleting it. The balsa cone will be the identifier of an original release. My speculation only, no information to support that.

I wanna play with sims and see if this thing is stable with just the rear portion of the fins. Or how much nose weight would be required. My mind sim suggests that with 18mm motors, it would be stable with minimal to no nose weight and fly much higher than the issued kit design.

I've got a 600 DPI scan of the decal still on its backing paper... It has a golden hue due to the backing paper showing through.
The best idea I've got is to remove the decal from its backing paper, and apply it to the white backing paper from another sticker (such as from a vinyl decal) and scanning that.
Any good image editing program would be able to fix that scan.

Here is a cleaned up rendition of the roll pattern decal.

Attachments

• Blue Sapphire Roll Pattern Decal.jpg
    Blue Sapphire Roll Pattern Decal.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 0
Here is a cleaned up rendition of the 65th Anniversary decal.

Attachments

• 65 Anniversary Logo.jpg
    65 Anniversary Logo.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 0
I might stop in and grab a set. I've complained about the size of this rocket since it was released but at $4.99 for the fins, a scrap piece of BT50 that I have miles of and a $1.99 nose cone, I might build one. I find it funny that everyone that is copying the fins is doing them in one piece.
I suspect that they're doing it to make it easier for folks to convert it to a 2 stage rocket (and it doesn't need to be an 18mm powered rocket for that).

Back