60 Acres Park Washington State.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are welcome to come over to TriCities Rocketeers outside Pasco, WA. We have a launch coming up Nov 6th, 2021...weather permitting of course. I know its a good distance (about 3-4 hours) but worth the drive if you want to fly.

I enjoyed getting my L1 at TriCities. Circumstances has prevented me from returning.
I have Nov 6th open, I just may have to book that day off for Daddy activities, and show the 7Y YO what dad spends some of his "spare time" building. (He is wanting to help build now)
It is about a 5 to 6 hour drive for me, and worth every bit of it!

60 Acres is definitely class 1 only. While there are some class 1 H motors, I believe that the site dimensions are too small for H. G’s are lots of fun in the north field though!

I would recommend a maximum altitude of 1500-2000 feet if you don’t want to lose the rocket to horse pastures, trees, or the river.

What @boatgeek said. Sixty Acres isn't big enough for high power. You can't get far enough away from an active road (NE 116th Street, which runs between the north and south fields) in particular.

The Heinen Sod Farm north of Pasco where Tri-Cities Rocketeers fly—as noted by @rharshberger—is your best bet.

The only possible place I know of on the west side of the Cascades is the pasture over by Discovery Bay that PSRC sometimes flies out of. Some contact info is on the NAR web site. But they don't, so far as I know, maintain a regular launch schedule. (Side note: I got my Level 1 at their site in 2012, though it was being used by a different club at that time.)

FWIW that's Sixty Acres in my avatar, not that you can see much of it there.....

Another option that’s about the same driving distance from Seattle is the Gorge Rocket Club field in Goldendale. It’s a wheat field, so not as nice to fly as the sod farm, but it’s also about half an hour from a Greek Orthodox monastery with an attached bakery. They have very fine spanakopita if you go in for that kind of thing.

Another option that’s about the same driving distance from Seattle is the Gorge Rocket Club field in Goldendale. It’s a wheat field, so not as nice to fly as the sod farm, but it’s also about half an hour from a Greek Orthodox monastery with an attached bakery. They have very fine spanakopita if you go in for that kind of thing.
Spanakopita? Is that S&M?

Does this club do certification flights?

Spanakopita is a savory spinach pastry the dessert is typically baklava, which they also have and is very good.
You're right, baklava is more traditional dessert. I was given some Spanakopita as dessert once so I thought it was simply a savory dessert. I have no background in that area so I could be wildly off. They're both very good though!

While everyone here is talking cert flights in Washington (my home state) are there rules about CAR members getting certs at NAR/Tripoli events?

Does this club do certification flights?
I'm pretty sure there's usually enough people around to do a NAR cert. They're a NAR club, so I don't know if there'd be the right people to do a TRA cert. It's always good form to ask before the launch, though.

One other plus--the launch I was at had a grand total of five people show up. No waiting for pads--you just prepped, walked out, and launched. The launch crew said that they sometimes have more people, especially if a college class is coming through.

While everyone here is talking cert flights in Washington (my home state) are there rules about CAR members getting certs at NAR/Tripoli events?
Not sure what the CAR requirements are, but if its like NAR/TRA all it should take are the right people to do the cert. Would definitely be up to the flier to make sure beforehand. AFAIK TriCities Rocketeers has no CAR members, though we may get a few attending launches from time to time.

Back