60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA (Seattle area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I think that’s why Jim moved the WAC one to the 8th.

I know weather over there can be significantly different than weather on this side of the Cascades, but as lousy as the forecast for the coming weekend is here, I can imagine that Pasco isn’t looking great either….and when I look, I see winds at 20 gusting to 29 at noon. Not too great for flying, that.
yes, it is the 8th. I had it in my. Calendar on both dates, forgot to remove the old one. Anyway, it’s pretty darn windy right now, I’m not wildly optimistic about tomorrow. But we will see.

@boatgeek Is that you, or someone you know asking about ignitors on the NW Rocket mailing list? I did a reply, but i'm never sure if my emails get listed. I'm planning on being at 60 Acres tomorrow (Wed.) about 1:30 PM, I don't think I can get there any earlier. I'm happy to provide whatever ignitors I happen to have if you (or whoever) is still there when I get there. I have some ignitors for composite engines, and a whole bunch of MJT electric matches (some of them dipped in nail polish) as well as the usual Estes ignitors.

Ken

@boatgeek Is that you, or someone you know asking about ignitors on the NW Rocket mailing list? I did a reply, but i'm never sure if my emails get listed. I'm planning on being at 60 Acres tomorrow (Wed.) about 1:30 PM, I don't think I can get there any earlier. I'm happy to provide whatever ignitors I happen to have if you (or whoever) is still there when I get there. I have some ignitors for composite engines, and a whole bunch of MJT electric matches (some of them dipped in nail polish) as well as the usual Estes ignitors.

Ken
Not me. I suppose I should sign up for that mailing list. Assume it’s a TARC team?

It was a note from Bruce Buswell (who took the two winning teams to the finals last year).

Ken, I saw your note on the list. They are using, I think, some kind of Aerotech reload, so I don't think your MJGs will do what they need. Bruce got a couple of FirstFire Micros from me Sunday afternoon, but I don't know if they were long enough for his use.

It was a note from Bruce Buswell (who took the two winning teams to the finals last year).

Ken, I saw your note on the list. They are using, I think, some kind of Aerotech reload, so I don't think your MJGs will do what they need. Bruce got a couple of FirstFire Micros from me Sunday afternoon, but I don't know if they were long enough for his use.
Thanks Bernard. If he is still there when I get there and still needs some I’ll give him whatever I have.

As far as I know the Washington Aerospace Club is launching tomorrow at 60 Acres (April 8). If the weather is OK I'll be there. Today's weather is lot better than expected, so who knows, we may get lucky tomorrow!
Here's their launch date calendar: http://www.washingtonaerospace.org/launches.php And @BEC tells me they are planning on setting up early. Hope to see you there!

I've been remiss in posting anything from Bruce's TARC practice a couple of weeks ago, just too busy to edit the videos. But here's a photo I like of one the rockets coming down with the moon in the background.

Attachments

• Rockets 054 moon and rockets.JPG
    Rockets 054 moon and rockets.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Where can I find the 60 acres event calendar and soccer schedule for 2023?
One of the things that went away with the pandemic was the web site 60acres.org which is where this info used to be. I don't think anyone is maintaining a consolidated calendar for the fields any more. Lake Washington Youth Soccer Association has bits on the several Crossfire sites, but that's only a partial view.

Soon it will be weekdays during school hours only for flying up there. Seattle Area Soaring Society has the south field on Wednesday afternoons, but rockets and sailplanes are kind of a sketchy mix and I'm sure they would say the same.

I only got in 2 launches today at the WAC launch at 60 Acres before the weather shut us down. But here's a video from one of the launches.

Yeah... my wife and I should've gotten going sooner. We got one flight each, right after Ken's flight (her Alpha is on the pad next to Ken's FireCat and my Green Eggs was on the one after that in Ken's video.

We sat in the car and ate our lunch after the teardown of the range and my reading out my altimeter data (I was doing multiple altimeter comparisons again). It was still raining after that, as well as after we got some groceries at Fred Meyer across the freeway from the field. So, back home again now.

Today is Holy Saturday. Happy Easter, everyone.

I hope you're having fun. I'm planning to come up on Friday....then the BEMRC launch on Saturday still looks like it will go, though the forecast for Saturday has deteriorated a little.

I hope you're having fun. I'm planning to come up on Friday....then the BEMRC launch on Saturday still looks like it will go, though the forecast for Saturday has deteriorated a little.
It was a fantastic day for it. The wind died down around 5 o’clock. Had a bunch of great flights, but I did lose a AstroCam nose cone and camera.

Still can’t get my sky dart trimmed right, though.

It was a fantastic day for it. The wind died down around 5 o’clock. Had a bunch of great flights, but I did lose a AstroCam nose cone and camera.

Still can’t get my sky dart trimmed right, though.
I am planning on going to the model and hobby show at the Evergreen fairgrounds on Friday and the Boeing launch on Saturday. But if you think the Boeing launch might get canceled due to weather, I might switch and launch at 60 Acres on Friday and model show on Saturday.

I’m a newb trying to go with a couple kids to launch their rocket. This forum has been helpful for figuring things out. Much appreciated. Anyone know if saturdays are out of the picture due to soccer? It’s hard to do weekdays since they’re in school so trying to find a good time to take them.

I’m a newb trying to go with a couple kids to launch their rocket. This forum has been helpful for figuring things out. Much appreciated. Anyone know if saturdays are out of the picture due to soccer? It’s hard to do weekdays since they’re in school so trying to find a good time to take them.
Usually soccer doesn't start in earnest until late May/early June.

Right now the main problem is the weather, not soccer!

Haha. Thanks everyone. Weather ended up great this afternoon and we got to fire off some rockets. There was one other group launching as well as a model plane. Very nice spot and the kids (and supervising adults too) had a blast

Anyone’s crystal ball have info on field availability at the end of the week (4/28-29)? Friday and Saturday are looking promising, with low wind, but I have no idea when the soccer season starts up.

Back