60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA (Seattle area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flew my Big Mamma today for the second time. Got some great onboard video from my Runcam, first time I’ve used it, very impressive quality. Just taped it to one fin.

I knew the swivels that I had on hand wouldn’t be strong enough,so I used two - and they still broke! Partially because the shock cord tangled so it was too short. I’ll be reexamining how I do this. But nothing busted, so all good!
Videography by Alex and Runcam.
What size swivels are they? I'm finishing up one, and wondering if I undersized the swivels.

Hans.

What size swivels are they? I'm finishing up one, and wondering if I undersized the swivels.

Hans.
several different sizes, sorry I don't know the specs. I've ordered these in 220 pound size and now I'm worried that won't be enough - but the solution is a longer shock cord packed carefully so that it does not tangle. I'm not so good at that. Also I may go to separate parachutes. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FN2Q9B5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1

I saw that fly from across the field and thought it was a 2-stage that didn't light. The separation was majestic with the upper body tube heading straight up.

Did you Z-fold the shock cord when you put it in the body tube? That has always saved me from big tangles.
I wandered over in your direction but just then I think you were chasing a rocket so I never did say "hi". I have a lot of trouble with long shock cord, what is this Z fold you speak of? Thanks.

I wandered over in your direction but just then I think you were chasing a rocket so I never did say "hi". I have a lot of trouble with long shock cord, what is this Z fold you speak of? Thanks.
It's surprisingly hard to come up with a picture or video for Z-folding. The best I can explain it, you spread your fingers and thumb of your non-dominant hand out as far as possible. Think a shaka sign but with your fingers not folded in. Lead the shock cord past your thumb, then over to your pinky finger, then back to your thumb, etc. You're leading the shock cord away from you very time you take a half turn around your finger or thumb. That makes the shock cord cross itself every time it crosses your palm. That keeps it all from tangling when it comes out of the rocket. If that doesn't make sense, then I can take some pictures/video.

It's surprisingly hard to come up with a picture or video for Z-folding. The best I can explain it, you spread your fingers and thumb of your non-dominant hand out as far as possible. Think a shaka sign but with your fingers not folded in. Lead the shock cord past your thumb, then over to your pinky finger, then back to your thumb, etc. You're leading the shock cord away from you very time you take a half turn around your finger or thumb. That makes the shock cord cross itself every time it crosses your palm. That keeps it all from tangling when it comes out of the rocket. If that doesn't make sense, then I can take some pictures/video.
Thanks, I can picture that. I also tried the crochet method from Apogee, but found that the kevlar cord can still catch on itself. I'll give your method a shot.

This was probably the best demo for the Z-folding I've seen. Works great with Kevlar but not so much with elastic.

darn, didn't see this in time, I don't do 8:30 anythings and I'm not feeling well, I hope it went well. I hope I'm feeling better for the WAC launch on Saturday.
Unfortunately, I didn't make the launch either as my launch partner came down with a cold. Shame, as the weather was so nice. But soon as he's well and the weather is good, we'll be ready. Morning is a good time to launch as we almost always have the entire field to ourselves.

If the weather holds, I’m going to try to get out to 60 Acres later this Saturday morning (Feb. 11). Have the usual assortment of things to launch, plus a first attempt at a dual deployment. Winds currently look reasonable and no precipitation.

If the weather holds, I should be out Sunday late morning. Several TARC flights, and I'll bring a few of my own.

Back