60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA (Seattle area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're pretty short on natural disasters on that side of the mountains, at least as long as Rainier and St. Helens continue to behave themselves.
Well.....yes and no....we get some huge fires that have been known to shut things down due to air quality or the fire itself....

Wow! Great people and a great birthday present!

Someone found one of my lost rockets from last week and contacted me. I met with them this afternoon and all they'd take as a reward was a venti iced coffee! It was my MultiRoc sustainer (I already found the booster), complete with AstroCam still attached. In addition, since they live behind the park, they told me how to get into the area behind the fence, so that I can look for my Sky Ferry, and they'd also keep an eye out for it. This being my birthday, what a great present!

And for kickers, one of them had grown up in Colorado and in 6th grade they all went to the Estes factory, got a tour, bought and flew rockets, how cool is that?

There is hope for mankind. (and rockets).

That's great! Happy birthday.

I haven't flown from the south field much but last time I was up there with a group (this was a WAC launch several years ago) I was told that anything that went over the south fence was to be considered lost, with no chance of getting it back. This is quite unlike going to the folks that have the horse farm north of the north field, who will help you recover IF you go and ask them first rather than just going over the fences.

I was up on the north field test flying things for Sod Blaster this afternoon....other than some watering (I was asked to move as I was starting to set up as they were gong to move the watering over to where I would have been in the way) I had the field all to myself until about 4 PM when some small groups of soccer activity started to appear around the edges.

That's great! Happy birthday.

I haven't flown from the south field much but last time I was up there with a group (this was a WAC launch several years ago) I was told that anything that went over the south fence was to be considered lost, with no chance of getting it back. This is quite unlike going to the folks that have the horse farm north of the north field, who will help you recover IF you go and ask them first rather than just going over the fences.

I was up on the north field test flying things for Sod Blaster this afternoon....other than some watering (I was asked to move as I was starting to set up as they were gong to move the watering over to where I would have been in the way) I had the field all to myself until about 4 PM when some small groups of soccer activity started to appear around the edges.
Well, apparently not so. These folks were very nice and said that no one in that development would mind us searching for rockets, but of course it only takes one grumpy old fart to make things bad for everyone.

I was hoping for one more launch before the sod farm, but it's not going to be. I'll have several maiden flights there.

And thank you, a great birthday it was, all 'round!

I was there on Friday (9/26) from ~11am-1pm. The north field was full of soccer, but the south field was a few RC airplanes and one other family launching a few RTF rockets. They packed up before I was able to get over to say hello.

Happy birthday @DirkTheDaring
I wish I could have joined you. I hope you had a better launch day than I did!

Wow! Great people and a great birthday present!

Someone found one of my lost rockets from last week and contacted me. I met with them this afternoon and all they'd take as a reward was a venti iced coffee! It was my MultiRoc sustainer (I already found the booster), complete with AstroCam still attached. In addition, since they live behind the park, they told me how to get into the area behind the fence, so that I can look for my Sky Ferry, and they'd also keep an eye out for it. This being my birthday, what a great present!

And for kickers, one of them had grown up in Colorado and in 6th grade they all went to the Estes factory, got a tour, bought and flew rockets, how cool is that?

There is hope for mankind. (and rockets).
Very cool! And good to know.

4 days of flying at Sod Blaster wasn't enough for me, I'm planning on launching at 60 Acres on this coming Tuesday, the 13th. I expect to get there late morning, maybe noonish, in any case while school is in session, meaning it's unlikely to have soccer.

I'll update the the time as it gets closer.

I hope people can join me, the more the merrier!

The weather was perfect with virtually no wind. Many great launches and, wait, did I say no wind? Just enough to land my Arcturus in a tree. Just 12 inches less and it would have missed. But some nice folks flying RC planes managed to get it down while I was driving home to get my lopper to try to reach it. So - wildly successful day. The Arcturus hit 896 feet. I think this was on an E30-4, but I could be wrong.

Video, including stills, on board video (cheap spy cam) and (way too much) slo mo here:

Attachments

• 60 Acres Rockets 045 Arcturus Tree 2 Smaller.JPG
    60 Acres Rockets 045 Arcturus Tree 2 Smaller.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello Seattle Peeps! I'm planning on launching at 60 Acres tomorrow, Wednesday the 5th (Oct). Since the winds will pick up during the day I plan to get there by 11 AM or earlier if I can drag sorry butt out of bed in time.

I always enjoy company! Since the Goldendale launch is postponed, I have a bunch of larger engines to use up. Should be fun.

Any hints on when soccer will be done for the season on weekends and the rightful users of 60 Acres (aka rocketeers) can return to the field?

Monday, October 17th looks like the weather will be perfect with almost no wind. I plan to be launching at 60 Acres Park, arriving between 11 and 11:3 or so. Company always appreciated! I have a bunch of F engines to use up....

Hey All - I have a rare work- and kid-free day on Monday Nov. 14, when it's also looking to be cold but clear. So, at this point I'm planning to head over to 60 Acres around 10:30 or 11:00, stay for 2-3 hours and burn some fuel. Am planning on bringing a gap-staged Estes Loadstar II that I successfully launched a couple weeks back, a twice-repaired Big Daddy, and a Doorknob ready for its first flight. Happy to have some company if anyone else is available.

Friday weather actually looks pretty darn good! I may be there as well. It's Veteran's day, I don't know if there will be soccer or otherwise more crowded then weekdays. Do you have a time you'll be there? I enjoy watching the kids.
Likely arriving around 11 and launching until 2, pending results etc. Based on wind etc., we will plan to be on the west side of the north field. That may change depending on picnic table and field availability.

Likely arriving around 11 and launching until 2, pending results etc. Based on wind etc., we will plan to be on the west side of the north field. That may change depending on picnic table and field availability.
A good day of launching, although a bit windy which led to a tree, which @boatgeek kindly helped me on the retrieval. Thank you @boatgeek!

I plan to be there again on this Monday the 14th.

Attachments

• Rockets 050.JPG
    Rockets 050.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • tall boy removal.MOV
    38.1 MB
  • Rockets 045.JPG
    Rockets 045.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Tall Boy Tree_1.mp4
    44 MB
You're welcome!

I had a near loss of my beloved Fafnir across the river. Fortunately, I took the standard rocketry recovery advice and went as far as I thought it could possibly be, then went 25% further. There it was, draped over a blackberry patch and not too hard to find.

BTW I'll probably be out launching with the TARC team most any Sunday midday with good weather. I should have a retrieval pole with me if you need it.

Cool! Hopefully Monday will be sunnier with not much wind. Still planning to be there around 11:00.

@boatgeek - I'm curious: what's the retrieval pole? Sounds handy. ;-)
I think it's one of these, 3 section, I think 18'. The only thing you have to really keep on top of is not pulling too hard on the end. I've pulled the top extension out of the lower sections before. That involved a lot of swearing since it stuck up in the tree.

I threaded a paint roller frame or or less like this on the end so there's a big hook to grab shock cords with.

Back