60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA (Seattle area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washingtonian, I have a 9° comfort zone ;)

If anyone is familiar with the katabatic wind characteristics of 60 Acres do speak up.

I'll keep things posted in this thread as the date gets closer.
Not sure if it's katabatic, but good-weather wind at 60 Acres is usually from solar heating. It'll typically be calmer in the morning than the afternoon. Of course, if there's weather blowing through it might be different.

Got to 60 Acres today (Saturday) around 5PM and there was a major soccer turny in progress. They were even charging 20 bucks just for parking! I’m guessing it was a one-off and the camps haven’t started yet and hoping we get another week of weekdays.
we turned around and went to Magnuson park (cricket fields), and had a great time. The weather was perfect and a good time was had.

we may try Wednesday afternoon this week.

Here is the site for most soccer tourneys at 60 Acres. Good luck parsing it! They also have camps, again, good luck figuring it out. Plus, I think there is one other soccer organization using the park, but I'm not entirely sure they are separate. I'll post what I can I figure out, as best I can figure it out.
Here's the Crossfire site, tourny page: https://www.crossfiresoccer.org/tournaments/

Last edited:
By "tomorrow", do you mean "today"? Monday? Hmm, wasn't planning on it, but I could go, just to annoy you, er, I mean because you enjoy my company :) Let me know if you're actually going.
Yes, Monday. I expect I'll be heading up noonish or a bit later. I only have three or four flights I "need" to do, but of course will bring more.

Also, you might want to add the actual link you're referring to in the post just above.

Yes, Monday. I expect I'll be heading up noonish or a bit later. I only have three or four flights I "need" to do, but of course will bring more.

Also, you might want to add the actual link you're referring to in the post just above.
Oh whoops I’ll have to go fix that. I’m out right now. I’ll do it when I get home. I won’t be there before at least 1:30. I’ll get it out there as quick as I can. Hopefully you will still be there.

I'm thinking of breaking in my new pad & controller at 60 Acres on Father's Day with some LP & MP birds (I can do rod & rail). Shot there with a friend two years ago and there was no soccer.

Probably later in the afternoon/early evening. Only mad dogs and Englishmen launch in the mid-day sun ;) If anyone is interested let me know and I'll keep it posted.
I am holding that time open. Please let me know if you’re still planning on going.

I am holding that time open. Please let me know if you’re still planning on going.
look like rain is moving this afternoon. I think I'll celebrate father's day by taking my daughter to see Guardian of the Galaxies III instead. Let me know if you do go, or when you might reschedule. Heck, if you're there after the movie, I'll join you! But really, the weather don't look so good.

Yeah, looks nasty.

Monday was looking promising, but the latest forecast looks like more of today.
Looks like patience is the name of the game. I don't want to load motors only to find I can't launch :(

I'm thinking about going to 60 acres on the 4th of July to launch some rockets. Histsorically, do soccer teams use 60 acres on the 4th of July?
EDIT: Corrected the date and noting that I might go to Magnuson Park instead of 60 Acres on Friday the 30th.

I wish I knew. But I’d be happy to join you. Let me know when you think you might be there. If it is occupied we could go to Magnuson park cricket fields.

Meanwhile I’m thinking of launching on this Friday the 30th (NOT the 29th). Most likely now at Magnuson instead of 60 Acres, but I could be talked into it.

Talking to one of the groundskeepers, he thinks maybe mid July before things get busy, but even he didn’t know and he was frustrated about it as well.

Last edited:
I don't think soccer is a thing at Sixty Acres on the 4th of July, no. For the past several years a few of us have gathered to fly on the 4th. I will be at the WSMC this year so won't join whoever does celebrate the 4th with non-exploding (hopefully) rockets. I'd expect Jim Pommert and Larry Kennedy and a few others to do so.

I’ll be there!
I don't think soccer is a thing at Sixty Acres on the 4th of July, no. For the past several years a few of us have gathered to fly on the 4th. I will be at the WSMC this year so won't join whoever does celebrate the 4th with non-exploding (hopefully) rockets. I'd expect Jim Pommert and Larry Kennedy and a few others to do so.

Did you mean Friday the 30th?
Oops, yeah, but change of plans - now i'm more likely to be launching this Friday (the 30th) at Magnuson park (cricket fields), and then at 60 Acres on the 4th. For various reasons. But if you can be at 60 Acres on Friday then I can go there instead of Magnuson. I wouldn't be able to arrive before 1 PM (part of the reason why I'm changing to Magnuson).

Maybe this picture of my freshly repainted tall rockets will inspire people to come to 60 acres tomorrow and watch them fail in style.

From left to right: Big Mamma (scratch), ASP Tall Boy, Rocketarium Richter Wrecker (3 24 mm cluster) which I’m going to fly on 10 year old Ester E9s, which may lead to a spectacular CATO.

Attachments

• IMG_6797.jpeg
    IMG_6797.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Maybe this picture of my freshly repainted tall rockets will inspire people to come to 60 acres tomorrow and watch them fail in style.

From left to right: Big Mamma (scratch), ASP Tall Boy, Rocketarium Richter Wrecker (3 24 mm cluster) which I’m going to fly on 10 year old Ester E9s, which may lead to a spectacular CATO.
That's some crazy stuff. Get pictures.

Hans.

Latest posts

Back