6 foot 1/4" Rod.??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can get a 6' launch rod.?? Or, tell me if the rod that comes with the Mantis launch pad is sufficient for mid-power. I'm reading 48" from the standoff to rod tip. Seems short to me.

I don't think this is a very good idea.
The Mantis pad has a fair amount of flex under loading that will only make the rod whip potential even worse.
Beyond 4 ft. a launch rail is a much better choice.

John Lyngdal
TRA 9257 L3
NAR 69264 L3
NAR L3CC

Seems from the above you can definitely get the rod. You will still need a pad that can handle it.

To me, once you get beyond 3/16”, mini buttons and rails are the way to go for mid power. I don’t do high power but I assume most of them are on buttons as well. Still need a pad that can handle it.

Not that 1/4” lugs and rods aren’t do-able, just a bit anachronistic. Also likely more prone to rod whip, that to me is the big rail advantage.

I use both rods and rail. The rods are attached to tripods and the rail to a pvc base.I use the 1/4" rod for some of my larger oddrocs. Here are pictures of the pads and an oddroc that uses a rod.

Attachments

• 20201217_072909[134].jpg
    20201217_072909[134].jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201217_072816[131].jpg
    20201217_072816[131].jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20201112_205427[29].jpg
    20201112_205427[29].jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 44
Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with what I've got for now. I do remember reading that a longer rod will have more whip. Also that a longer rod will catch more wind. I'm not launching a rocket with more than a 5 to 10mph breeze

I get a lot of stuff like this from Zoro.com. Their generic 1/4 stainless steel rod is pretty cheap. Same for 1/8” and 3/16” SS rod. They also have aluminum 8020 extrusion rail for a good price. And shipping is only $5.00. Plus as an added bonus you could use the cardboard shipping tube for a scratch-build rocket body tube if you were desparate.

The 1/4" x 6' rod that I have does rust, so I need to sand it down periodically. I screwed a 4" x 4" block of wood to a piece of plywood and drilled a hole through that for the rod. For my N-1 rail buttons was not a doable option. I agree that whip lash is a concern, but I have launched twice successfully.

Attachments

• N-1 on pad.jpg
    N-1 on pad.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 26
  • lift off.jpg
    lift off.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 24
When I became a BAR 24 years ago I started out with the Mantis pad with the included launch rod. Used it for years including launching the Aerotech Mirage (7ft. long) and the G Force (4in. dia.) with never a problem. Would agree that a 6 ft. rod for the Mantis pad is not good.

I picked 3 up on clearance at the local building supply last year. I think they were around $1.50 each.
Zinc coated steel, kind of soft and could get bent easy.
But I couldn't resist at clearance price for 3 they had in stock!
They also can be cut into 1" lengths and used for shelf pins in cabinets. (Oh wait, I don't make cabinets anymore...)
Multi pad needs to be build to house the rods when not in use to keep the straight and bend free....someday.
My To Do list grows fast than I can check things off. Darned old age...

I have some FG 1/2" 8' long rods. Never used them. Discovered rails by the time I got rockets big enough to use 1/2" rods... :rolleyes:
They're pretty stiff, but not as stiff as SS. BUT... They don't rust... :D

6' is long for a 1/4" rod, once you get beyond 4' rod whip starts to be a problem. 5' is really the maximum you should go, any rocket that needs more rod than that is probably too heavy for a rod and needs a rail. If you shop around you can get a 6' piece of 1010 rail and a Rockwell jawstand for about $75.

Got one from Home Hardware. Make sure to get the correct "finish". Threaded the bottom 2 inches of the rod and it screws into a custom base.

Back