6" Diameter Mercury Redstone, was this a kit at one time? Look at the Bell with Astronaut and Tower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjstech

Reaction score
Hey All,
I was just given a 6" diameter cluster HPR. Made with PML Phenolic, really nice/smooth primer/paint ready fiberglass job. Its a Mercury Redstone Rocket.
I haven't done anything besides a quick visual

First, the motor mounts/fins. 1x central 38mm and 4x 29mm outer with screws for z clip or Madcow style motor retention. Fins are thick sanded smooth fiberglass covered wood sanded to point on leading edge, There are little bits (no picture) that will go on the outside of the fins for more of a 'scale look', they are fiberglassed too, but seem to have fallen off already.
IMG_20190317_123909.jpg

Then right side up. I know my angle sucks. Kinda can see the fin taper. I didn't really have a bunch of time to get the best pics. Don't have tube length yet. It is 6" diameter, the tube is baby smooth. Probably came from PML, thier pre-glassed phenolic.
IMG_20190317_123934.jpg

The Bell with astronaut/seat and console and clear window, there is a missing window/hatch?. It is flat black, not sure if the bell painted or made of black plastic, but it is strong and matches up perfectly to the airframe. It seems weighted already in the base of this thing, not sure how much. In the picture it is just dusty. The console is clear plastic with white plastic mount/seat. The astronaut is white and not made of hard plastic, it is like flexible. It even has a clear visor for the helmet. Seems he was glued to the seat at one time, but now has some wiggle, but don't see him falling out even loose. The wood in this picture the backing for a small eyelet that epoxied into the bell.
IMG_20190317_123954.jpg

The bell top (antenna base).
IMG_20190317_124028.jpg

The bell height at ~10 inches.
IMG_20190317_135158.jpg

The red plastic molded antenna pieces. Seems to be all there. But some broke bits. Epoxy and a coat of red spray paint and all good. May try to make some extras with wooden dowels too to have backups. This is just hanging out inside a couple tube for its protection, and a bulkhead that has not been glued yet.
IMG_20190317_124038.jpg

It even has a full set of decals from Tango Papa. That I didn't take a pic of.

Anyway. I will try to get more pics Monday afternoon/evening.

But does anyone know if this was kit at one time?
The bell, astronaut, seat, helmet with clear visor, clear console, window, and antenna seem professionally made with lots of details, No way someone did them at home.

Thanks,
Mark

I have a 6 inch Redstone and used a MRC Mercury capsule model. It sort of looks like your capsule. I built mine with a single 54mm motor tube. It flies well but I take the Escape Tower off before launch, its way to fragile.

I flew this 6" one at NSL 2008. I usually flew it on a J330. I have since built a 5.5" some what closer to scale using a modified Atomic City MRC capsule that is dual deploy.

Attachments

• NSL2008-046445.jpg
    NSL2008-046445.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 100
  • NSL2008-046448.jpg
    NSL2008-046448.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 100
Back