• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 54mm Minimum Diameter Retainer & 38/54 adapter tailcone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfunk

Reaction score
Too much rocket stuff, too little storage space! I machined an extra set of this hardware when I was making my own WM Mach 2 rocket. I have flown these designs in my own Mach 2 rocket, twice to ~22k' AGL after a 38mm H130W shakedown flight, all without issue.

54mm minimum diameter retainer = SPF
  • Similar to the AeroPack MD offering, but instead of glue in, it mounts with four #8-32 set screws through the air frame, so it's easily removed or moved. You could glue it in, but that'd be silly. 3 sets of holes allow a little Z- position adjustment if needed. Blue loctite recommended on the set screws!
  • You must drill 4 evenly spaced holes through the air frame to mount the retainer.
  • Fits perfectly (i.e. snug slip fit) in WM fiberglass and MAC canvas, 2.150" OD
  • 5/16"-18 UNC threads to attach to AeroTech threaded forward closures (you supply a chunk of 5/16"-18 threaded rod of appropriate length for your application)
  • 1/4"-20 thread for recovery eye nut (comes with the pictured "M5" SS eye nut which has been drilled out and tapped to 1/4-20). Eye nut and short set screw must be red Loctite'd before flight.
  • CNC'ed 6061 aluminum, Type II black anodizing
  • If you don't know what all this means, then it's probably not for you. ;P
38 to 54mm minimum diameter motor adapter / tail cone kit = SPF
  • This adapter was not my idea, I just made my own after CJ shared his, all credit to CJ. Not offering a product for sale here, just the one extra I made.
  • Comes with a 7" piece of WM 38mm motor mount fiberglass tube and phenolic CR
  • Tailcone adapter retains AeroTech 38mm motors with a snap ring. Loki definitely doesn't fit, CTI might fit (not sure)
  • You'll need to glue (epoxy or JB weld) the phenolic 1/4" centering ring and machined tailcone onto the fiberglass motor mount
  • Similar to the MD retainer, it mounts in the air frame with 4 #8-32 set screws (so you drill another 4 holes).
  • You can get fancy, use both the MD retainer and this tailcone together and mount a rail button on each for a 38mm rail button'ed shakedown flight before moving to the 54mm tower. I can include the rail buttons and 8-32s for this if you want.
  • CNC'ed 6061 aluminum, Type II black anodizing
  • Snap ring pliers not included (and yes you should wear safety glasses when using snap rings)
  • This adapter is specific to 54mm minimum diameter applications, no it won't work with your aeropack screw on retainer.

MD_54_retainer.jpg MD_54_retainer2.jpg

54-38_kit.jpg snapring1.jpg snapring2.jpg

Last edited:
Can you point me to a link of that tail cone adapter set up? I’d like to make one

Back