54mm Deuce's Wild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
I am sure I will get some comments on # of projects but I actually have most of the parts for a 54mm Deuce's Wild. I haven't started any building on it yet but I am going to get some Soller sleeves and cloth that are the CF/FG hybrid and get them in black/yellow and black/blue for the different colors of the Deuce.

More to come........

Ben

3 deuces at once?

(Not that I'm complaining :D)

3 deuces at once?

(Not that I'm complaining :D)

well the 54mm is the only one thats needed to be built 100%. the 38mm just need some Fg on it and the nosecone finished. The 29mm just needs new tubing and some fins reattached.

The 54mm is 100% unstarted :eek:

Ben

BIGGER IS BETTER....:D. Can't wait when you start this project.

well, 6" tubes and coupler are ordered and 54mm MMT. I am laying out the CRs in 2D cad.

Can't wait to get going!

Ben

You should make the MMT long enough for K700s.

It definitely makes for a spectacular flight :D

If I do any commercial loads in it it will be the 2 AMW J357's I have or 2 Pro 54 2g's if they can lift it.

Ben

My Deuce is unglassed LOC tubing, light enough for the long burn motors. Largest case size is 54/1706. I had to reduce the cant angle to 11 degrees to accomodate this size motor, 54/5560's would have needed an even smaller angle. I can put tape thrust rings at 13" on 54/2560's and let them hang out. K270's would work but j700's would be a definate shred :(
Here it is on EX K160's: https://www.tripolisc.org/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/albun18/Tom_K160.wmv
My Tres likes them too :D https://www.tripolisc.org/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/albun66/Binford_K160.wmv

I can't remember the exact angle on mine, but IIRC, it's around 10 degrees. Definitely enough for a good flame separation. I also modified the geometry of the mounts slightly to make it look right - there is actually a bulkplate at the bottom of the tube that is flush with the tube (no cutouts for the motors - they are actually completely out of the tube at that point, but only barely). It worked out surprisingly well - it looks fine as a Deuce, and accommodates the 2560 case (barely - I have about a half inch of clearance when I use them).

I can't remember the exact angle on mine, but IIRC, it's around 10 degrees. Definitely enough for a good flame separation. I also modified the geometry of the mounts slightly to make it look right - there is actually a bulkplate at the bottom of the tube that is flush with the tube (no cutouts for the motors - they are actually completely out of the tube at that point, but only barely). It worked out surprisingly well - it looks fine as a Deuce, and accommodates the 2560 case (barely - I have about a half inch of clearance when I use them).

How long is the 2560 case? the 2550 that I was going to make it fit is 30" long. I was going to make the MMT long enough to hold the 19.5" 2000 case and then just use a 54mm spacer tube when I fly the 2500 (which won't be as much as say a 4 grain)

Ben

Shorter than 30" for sure - something like 23" or 24" IIRC.

How long is the 2560 case? the 2550 that I was going to make it fit is 30" long. I was going to make the MMT long enough to hold the 19.5" 2000 case and then just use a 54mm spacer tube when I fly the 2500 (which won't be as much as say a 4 grain)

Ben

AT - 54/2560 with out aft closure 22.422 inches
AMW - 25/2550 28.66 inches
Loki - 54/2800 28.6 inches

BUMP!!

Time to get moving on this!! Tubes and couplers have arrived. I am going to order some honeycomb material to make the fins out of. i origionally was going to use foam and plywood but after seeing CJL's at LDRS i like the composite idea better.

Pics to follow.....

Ben

Mine worked pretty well, didn't it :D

The GLR 3/8" honeycomb with a couple layers of T2T CF works great. It's surprisingly lightweight, but holds up quite well - I've flown mine as high as Mach 0.7 without any issues at all (I'd push it faster, but I've already tried the biggest motors that fit).

Last edited:
Actually, one project that I've wanted to do for some time (though not for a while, due to expense and experience level) is a decent sized (1/36 perhaps, around 10' tall?) Saturn V with all 3 stages powered. If that happens at all though, it'll be a while.

OK, we need a TRF chapter of the Deuce-aholics Anonymous here! This is good stuff. :D

Actually, one project that I've wanted to do for some time (though not for a while, due to expense and experience level) is a decent sized (1/36 perhaps, around 10' tall?) Saturn V with all 3 stages powered. If that happens at all though, it'll be a while.

I have a 1/38th scale at 10.5 feet tall. Already got the 5 in the bottom. Id be game for modification ;)

Ben

I have a design I was doing for Jay Marsh for a 1/100 scale Saturn V with 3 working stages and a 4th stage (the CSM). Not sure if it ever got built, but I still got the drawings :) (3 stage Saturn 1B too)

Back