54 mm Deuces Wild!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
I've begun construction of my 54 mm scale up of the Deuces Wild!

Scale factor is 3.38
Main body LOC BT-5.38
Nose Cone is LOC short PNC-5.38
Fins and centering rings 1/4" plywood
Dual deployment.

I've reduced the cant angle to 10 degrees. This allows a maximum motor of 1700 N-s instead of 850 N-s.
I'm building this as light as practical as I intend to use long burn motors such as K185 (or EX K160). Initial flight will be on a pair of Pro54 J280SS.

Dude, that thing is awesome. what a beast! the motor mount tubes are almost as big as the regular Deuce.

uh o, Carl is being outdone! ;) :D

Uh oh... what's Carl gonna have to say about this? :p

Dangit Tom, ya beat me to the 54mm version! Oh well, I'll just have to do the 75mm then... :)

Looks great! Keep the reports coming!

You just gotta love the fact that the motor mount is as big as the original!

<b>
Uh oh... what's Carl gonna have to say about this?
</b>
Actually, I applaud anyone that tries to upscale this rocket as it is both a challenging and rewarding experience. It's a great hobby guys and builds like this make it even greater; as far as I am concerned, there is no room for ego's here, just having fun and doing what you love...building and flying rockets!!! ;) Personally, I have a tendancy to build heavy, so I would be curious to see how a big and lightweight Deuce performs. It looks like you are fast on your way Rocketjunkie and I wish you the best of luck!!! :)

Please let me know what plans you have for getting White Lightnings to ignite consistently. I had some special dipped matches from Ken Allen that would do the job, but ran out. They lit everything up to a M1419 without a problem, but were too big to try on my 38mm Deuce. That's why I went with the Smokey Sams...I have had several launches now and everytime both motors lit perfectly...I stuck with what works. The 54mm SS motors would be awesome!!! I am willing to bet they would ingite fine...I have seen the big K650 go and it is cool!

Rocketjunkie, keep us up to date on how you are progressing and I will be curious about your final launch weight. Way to go and pics...we need more pics!

BTW...the 54mm MMT is actually 2.1" in diameter...about 1/2" bigger than the stock1.6" dia Deuce tube...jeez it's gonna be cool!

Carl

Those motor tubes are so *big*, you could put stock fins on them and it would look like someone shoved a pair of Deuce's up the tail end of your HP rocket! LOL

great stuff!

Now we only have the 75mm and 98mm to go...

Deuce on a pair of P motors...

...man, I got a shiver just *thinking* about that....

Originally posted by jflis

Now we only have the 75mm and 98mm to go...

Deuce on a pair of P motors...

...man, I got a shiver just *thinking* about that....

So what have the Gates Bros. been up to lately? :D Has anyone contacted them yet?

Rocketjunkie, this is in no way to say that your version isn't sufficient. As a matter of fact, the sight of your upscale in flying will be jaw dropping. As I build my 29mm version I just imagine the labor you guys are putting into your larger versions.

This should be fun. Very nice progress.

mmmmm, P motors, big deuce, drool:D

So lets see, 75mm, 98mm, and 150mm, can we get some volunteers, or should i start picking names?:D

Which one shoud we build David?;)

More progress made. Here's the fins.
Notice the corner cut away to miss the motor tube.

Another shot of the fin unit.

Next is to fillet the joints, then start cutting the main body tube to fit.

Lookin' good, Tom! I can't wait to see this one fly...especially on one of your long burn K's.

Please let me know what plans you have for getting White Lightnings to ignite consistently.

Carl,
I think some nicely dipped Magnelites, or Davey 28F's dipped in Magnelite pyrogen should do just fine. Thermalite tipped Daveys would probably do just fine, too, if ya have thermalite. Also, I always go by this: secure the igniters too the rocket, and allow the launch clips to be able to fly free. If you do this, both igniters should go at once, but if one motor is slow to light, the launch clips will fall free allowing the igniter to stay in the late-igniting motor so it can ignite.

Construction continues.

Here's the nose cone, the short LOC 5.38 that's used on the Mini-Magg. I've added a forged 1/4" diameter eyebolt.

This bulkhead plate and cable assembly is the anchor for the booster recovery. Apogee separation is drogueless, with 50 feet of tubular nylon connecting the booster to the payload and nose cone. It's epoxied into the booster with a short section of coupler on each side.

The payload section with altimeter bay is from my Ultimate Max. It's the correct size and even the correct color. This shot is into the altimeter bay. The altimeter is mounted on a wood plate with a lug that fits over the center aluminum rod. The small hole at the 1: O'clock position is the feedthrough for the e-match to the main ejection charge.

Once the altimeter is installed, the bottom plate is installed and held in place with the eyebolt the booster shock cord attaches to. The eyebolt threads into the aluminum rod in the center of the bay.

Here's the booster section of the rocket. The body tube has been cut, installed, and filleted in. The 98mm motor case is to weight the front so it doesn't fall off.

Finally, here's the whole rocket assembled. I'll post another picture after it's painted.

I'm planning on flying this at the Feb. 7-8 Orangeburg launch on a pair of Pro54 J280's.

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
Finally, here's the whole rocket assembled. I'll post another picture after it's painted.

I'm planning on flying this at the Feb. 7-8 Orangeburg launch on a pair of Pro54 J280's.

Are there gonna be any other TRFers out there? If so, you'd better be holding a video camera or still/digital camera! :eek: :)

Great work on that massive Deuce. I truly cannot imagine one bigger than this. One word of advice - if you really want to hide that Deuce from your wife/girlfriend/mother you'd better find a bigger drawer! :D

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie

Great lookin rocket Tom......... Can't wait to see her fly........... I will be there for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've completed the rocket.
It weighs 11 lb. with everything but the motors loaded.

Again, the stock Deuce rides on it for scale.

Back