54 mm Deuces Wild!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good weight, much lighter than I expected. Did you glass the fins on...just curious?

Carl

Originally posted by CTulanko
A good weight, much lighter than I expected. Did you glass the fins on...just curious?

Carl

The fins are 1/4" plywood with 1/32" G10 laminated on both sides. Strips of glass were used in the assembly of the fins to the motor mount assembly. There is not any additional glass on the fins to body joints. There is a coupler reinforcing the tube between the top motor centering ring and the bulkhead containing the recovery system anchor. This rocket is electronic deployment only - no connection between the motors and the recovery bay.

Originally posted by jflis
now *i'm* curious... Carl, what is the dry weight of the 38'Special?

jim

Now Jim, you know Carl puts all that polished rod, bolts, nuts, chains, steel avionics, rivets, weld joints, etc... Gotta be at least 40lbs! ;) :p

o definantly. Couple pounds of noseweight too....just for good measure

LAUNCH!

She flew today, a successful flight on a pair of Pro38 J400's.

However, you see something new every day. This is the first time I've seen a Cesaroni motor take time to come up to pressure.

Just after liftoff, only one motor is burning. Although you can't see it here, the other motor is producing about as much smoke as a delay.

One second after liftoff, the second motor is getting going pretty well but still not up to full thrust.

And finally, descending under full canopy.

I will be posting a boost video to our web site within a day.

Now it's time to start the Tres and some K160's :D :D

Very Cool Pictures! Where both J400's from the same batch? Maybe one of them was older than the other. Maybe one of the motors ignition pellet got damp, slowing its burn rate down.

or maybe the ematch didnt get all the way up inside the starter pellet, or maybe it went to far.

Either way. of course the first time you see it is on your rocket lol!!!

awesome flight, cant wait to see the vid, or the Tres!!

Tom,

Congrats bro...excellent launch and good report! I am glad it handled the stress ok and the pics are great. Hopefully you can make it to Whitakers next month for the big fly...I wanna see it. :)

Once again, great job man!

Carl

Thanks for the excellent pics. It was kinda interesting to see the 'progress' of the second motor as it came up to pressure. I'm glad the flight was successful. I bet your heart was pumping after that flight!

Isnt it great how Dueces can survive 1 motor flights?:cool: ;)

Great pics!!!! Are you going to launch it at LDRS?:cool: Howbout some green gorrilas in that baby? J370GGs.... THAT would be pretty....;) :cool:

Did you get a video of the flight?:cool:

Originally posted by Neil

Both motor fired, one just took a split second longer to come up to full pressure.......

It was a great flight!!!!

Originally posted by Neil

Great pics!!!! Are you going to launch it at LDRS?:cool: Howbout some green gorrilas in that baby? J370GGs.... THAT would be pretty....;) :cool:

Did you get a video of the flight?:cool:

yeah dude, both motors fired

Green gorrilas are really hard to start, the barium makes them hard to light, this makes them motors that are not so optimal for clustering.

I once saw an M1850 take about 5 seconds to come up to pressure, the guy had sanded the grain and then covered the igniter with fast burning grains (like BT).

Dougs J370 took forever to light, he even surrounded the ignitor with Redline and you could see the red flame out the bottom of the motor but the green didnt light.

how bought 2 K1100s....though I dont think they will fit ;)

Ryan beat me to it. I was going to say don't cluster Green Gorillas. One interesting thing to note about those motors... they take a while to get up to full thrust. That produces intersting flights though... slow liftoff with rapid accelleration.

What would be cool is a couple Skidmark motors... using a bulkhead igniter to ignite the motors... Skidmark is another one of those hard to start motors.

Okay okay okay..... Is this better:;) "isnt it great how Dueces Wilds will still fly if only one motor is up to pressure?" ;) :rolleyes: :p

Didnt this same thing happen with someones 38MM one? I think it was with redlines or something, and just as one burned out the other lit.:cool: Skidmarks would be the best.... I agree. Doesent sound like they would light at the same time, though.:(

Yep. Thats the one. Very cool rocket. :cool:

Is teh person who made it a member of TRF???;)

Originally posted by Ryan S.
yeah dude, both motors fired

how bought 2 K1100s....though I dont think they will fit ;)

The largest motors that will fit is a 4 grain 54 mm. K1100's would tear the fins off, I plan for long burn. I'll have to mix up some K160's (10 second burn :D ) The J400's will probably be the highest average thrust motors I ever fly the Deuce on.

incredible flight! I just love it (and thank you for sending me the vid :) )

That makes 3 upscale Deuce's out there. I'm just tickled pink :)

jim

Theres a whole lot more than 3!!!!!! Theres at least 16 people with upscale Dueces (or at least thats how many cones Sandman says he has made for upscale dueces.). Do you mean 38MM+ upscales?:confused:

Back