54 mm Deuce Rebuild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you're talking! ;)

If I were a betting man, I would imagine that Cjl was able to inhibit a 38mm delay, not a 54mm or 75mm... That's speculation on my part. I have empirical data from my experiences from roughly (12) K-700's and (8) M-1315's ALL with heavily caked delay faces. I'm 20 for 20.

Justin

I've done it successfully on a single 54mm and several 38s. I've never tried it on a 75, though I wouldn't be that surprised if it didn't work. Oh - and I didn't intend to call you a liar. I was saying that it was incorrect that you would never be able to inhibit the delay.

Actually, I'll be flying a 75mm in a month or so, and I may decide to try the delay grease as an experiment.

What is the reasoning behind greasing the delay in the first place? The best thing I have ever done in my EX motors is machine bulkheads to accept smoke delays. No more "Now you see it, now you don't" flights. It seems kind of dumb to grease something that's instrumental in visual tracking of a flight.

What is the reasoning behind greasing the delay in the first place?

I got in the habit many years ago because I wanted ease of cleanup on the bottom face of the forward closures on 54mm and 75mm. If you cake it well, all the mess just "slides" right off.

I was saying that it was incorrect that you would never be able to inhibit the delay.

Understood. As previously stated:

Please note I did NOT say EVERY time you grease the face of the delay, it will still burn. I learned many moons ago that blanket statements are generally not the best practice.

Actually, I'll be flying a 75mm in a month or so, and I may decide to try the delay grease as an experiment.

Go for it. It'll clean up easily, and it wont have any adverse affects on the motor burn. I'll post a pic or two of my 75mm forward closure face after Airfest this weekend. It's on queue to fly Friday in a minimum diameter bird.

Justin

Me thinks it burned...

With a quick wipe of a paper towel with no cleaner, the face of the closure gets cleaned quickly and easily.

ForwardBulkheadPostAirfest15Flight.jpg

Justin

How has this rebuild stood up over time? Any changes or modifications you would recommend? I am starting to collect the parts for a night launch Deuce for LDRS and I like the materials and techniques used for this. Have the engine tubes stood up to the stresses of landing? I am going to a launch next week with a blue tube dealer in attendance and I am leaning toward using it for the 4 inch 38 mm Deuce that I am planning.

Last edited:
How has this rebuild stood up over time? Any changes or modifications you would recommend?
The rebuilt Deuce has 6 flights on it now. The original was built from LOC parts, no glassing. I did have some concerns about the epoxy bond around the motor tubes - a weak spot on the original - and laid 2 layers of 3 oz glass across the body and up the fins about 2", all 4 sides. The glass formed nicely around the motor tubes without having to slit it to fit down around the motor tube - main body valley. The Blue Tube version is much more durable, both against damage to the motor tubes and fraying at the top of the main BT where the rocket separates at apogee. My only complaint was the close fit of the coupler and the fact that as conditions change the fit got a lot tighter. I had to sand the coupler and ID of the body a lot several times. This was the original version of Blue Tube. My Goblin is Blue Tube 2.0 and the couplers are a much looser fit - almost too loose! Epoxy doesn't soak in but does seem to stick well. I have found that LOC tubing needs to be replaced every 15-20 flights as it just gets too beat up to fit and fly well. I expect the Blue Tube to survive well beyond this.

Yes the new proprietary adhesive on V2.0 does a far better job of keeping vf's only negative attribute at bay. Regarding the coupler fitment on Blue Tube 2.0, yeah there was some tweaking on my part there.. GLR / PML bulkheads fit perfectly in the coupler, but since there's no "post construction" shrinkage on the new product to factor in, yeah ID's increased a hair, so we need to tweak back down and get it dialed in. Regarding epoxy, just rough up the surface a bit, it'll penetrate through for an awesome bond, but if you don't, it isn't going to come off anyway. :)

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns and thank you!

Sincerely,

Randy
ARR
www.alwaysreadyrocketry.com
[email protected]
813-484-1298

Back