5100 feet - from a baseball field

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help a brother out here, what was illegal about his launch? Because unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing the issue with the flight. Heck, I'm more offended by the slo-mo video than I am the claimed flight log. :questions:

Did this flight include a tracker? Did you have sight of it for the entire flight? Did you see it land on the 3rd base line? (I don't think I could follow a small, black rocket to one mile in overcast skies with the naked eye.)

The JLCR is cool and all, but a tiny rocket like that is still going drift a ways even in mild winds before the JLCR releases the chute. That it still landed in the baseball field is pretty amazing.

Did this flight include a tracker? Did you have sight of it for the entire flight? Did you see it land on the 3rd base line? (I don't think I could follow a small, black rocket to one mile in overcast skies with the naked eye.)

The JLCR is cool and all, but a tiny rocket like that is still going drift a ways even in mild winds before the JLCR releases the chute. That it still landed in the baseball field is pretty amazing.

I could NOT see the rocket for most of the flight. Saw it on the way down at maybe 2000 feet? The only reason for this post was I thought it was pretty cool that it landed in the same baseball field.

Are you incapable of having a disagreement without getting all bent out of shape? Grow up and, no, I’m not your dad.

I'm 56 years old. I have what I consider to be an awesome job that allows me to be online much of the time. I learned a LONG time ago that there is no bigger waste of time, no larger waste of my brainpower, than to get into a disagreement with someone on the internet. I watch with humor as this post to say "thanks" to JL went totally pear shaped.

But am I going to engage? Hell no. I'd rather go to one of my wife's flower shows, and anyone who has ever been to a flower show knows that is saying a lot.

Bent out of shape? Not at all. Just have better things to do than argue about facts I already know.

That was the fly away rail guide at the end of the video - I'm still learning on video editing. The rocket landed at the end of 3rd base line.

The rocket is a scratch-built 38mm booster I use for testing electronics. I just threw a cone on it & flew it on a G80-13, my go-to motor

View attachment 460534
Nice, I need one of those fly away jobs... Try a lower thrust, longer burn motor for even more altitude!

Flyaway rail guides are great for longburn motors... not so good for high-thrust motors like VMax or Super Thunder. I've destroyed a few of them while trying it... if you really need to streamline your rocket, nothing beats using a tower.

Man these guys are savage on here lol. so i use an app that tracks all air traffic in the area and i also use my eyes, seems to work 100% of the time. Nice launch and recovery, i think these guys are just jelly.

Could someone please explain this to me.

How may we assist ? The rocket was well under the 3.3 lb and 125 gram limit . Does it matter if it lands on the same field , absolutely not . Payload was simply saying it was a great flight and it landed on the same " field " although that looks like a loose term.

Seems like a few of the people in this thread are jealous he accomplished what he did while they're just couch potatoes and keyboard warriors. There is nothing illegal about flying a G80 in a rocket weighing less than 3.3lbs. Waivers and altitude have 0 effect on low/midpower launches.

True , but even with NOTAMS in place , there are alot of ignorant people in this world
Every time we have a high power launch with a NOTAM in place, we still get idiot pilots that think they're above everyone else and fly literally over the area. It's almost pointless to even have one.

Every time we have a high power launch with a NOTAM in place, we still get idiot pilots that think they're above everyone else and fly literally over the area. It's almost pointless to even have one.

I think NOTAMS attract small private planes. We always joke about it though, no harsh feelings against them, they still have the right-of -way. That's why it's ears and eyes to the skies before pushing the launch button.

How may we assist ? The rocket was well under the 3.3 lb and 125 gram limit . Does it matter if it lands on the same field , absolutely not . Payload was simply saying it was a great flight and it landed on the same " field " although that looks like a loose term.

According to what I know:

Installed Total Impulse (N-sec)Equivalent Motor TypeMinimum Site Dimensions (ft.)
80.01–160.00G1,000

"https://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/#sitedimensions"

But the baseball fields I know of aren't 1000 feet wide. So I things I don't understand are:
  • whether that particular baseball field was in fact 1000 ft x1000 ft (part of a bigger, non-baseball field),
  • whether "legally" means according to the code, or according to some actual law,
  • how the (NAR, Tripoli, etc.) Codes relates to the actual law.
Other things I might be missing:
  • Was this a stroke of luck that happened to be "legal"?
  • What guided the rocket back to the field?
  • How the launch direction was chosen?
  • Are Code guidelines different wiith a Jolly Logic Chute Release?
  • Maybe Code guidelines should be different?
  • Are the Codes different with a JLCR?
  • Can I legally launch from a smaller field if I get myself a JLCR?
  • Would a RSO let me launch from a smaller field if I got myself a JLCR?
  • Wouldn't it be easier for a club to find a field if everyone at the club had a JLCR?
Because if I can launch a G motor from a baseball field without anyone complaining about it, I would like to know how.

Last edited:
Basically, I'm wondering how big was the field, beyond the baseball part. Because just saying "baseball field" with a G motor, makes it sound like the launch was against the Codes.

How many non organized ( TRA , NAR , CAR ) flyers follow the 1000 foot by 1000 foot rule for a G motor they can buy off line ?

Remember in the end our organizations write guidelines , not laws like the ATF .

My last comment on this subject. No laws were broken . As long as your baseball field or sports field allows you to fly on their property , and your county knows the difference between a model rocket and a fire work , yes you can fly "H" class motors.

I think one thing to call out is that NAR and Tripoli are effectively insurance organizations as best I can tell. They have rules and dues that cover premiums. They aren’t required by any law I’ve found to purchase a motor or to fly them. Nothing in the CFR mentions either organization and I’m guessing you would be hard pressed to find them in local explosive / rocket ordinances.

Back