5100 feet - from a baseball field

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more interested in what MPR rocket/motor combination gets you to 5100'... obviously it had to be large enough for a JLCR, so it's not a MD 29mm.

I thought I seen the rocket come down without a parachute at the end of the video. Not sure if that was the rocket or something else.

That was the fly away rail guide at the end of the video - I'm still learning on video editing. The rocket landed at the end of 3rd base line.

The rocket is a scratch-built 38mm booster I use for testing electronics. I just threw a cone on it & flew it on a G80-13, my go-to motor

IMG_8911.JPG

Yikes - This was not a brag on altitude or rocket, it was a shout out to Jolly Logic for making an awesome product & allowing me to fly in this tree-infested wasteland of NE PA.
Tree infested indeed, you should see what it's like up here in the Wilkes-Barre area.Trees and wind, this place is where good rockets go to die.The ones up here are always hungry and they're never satisfied .Gonna try Lancaster County down near where my brother lives.

Yikes - This was not a brag on altitude or rocket, it was a shout out to Jolly Logic for making an awesome product & allowing me to fly in this tree-infested wasteland of NE PA.

I believe they were concerned about the legality of your launch. 5100’ on a G80 stretches the credulity of most people.

??? Hell, the fins are square, the spirals are open, and it has flat black paint. 5100 on a G80 is not that hard when you play with Open Rocket enough

??? Hell, the fins are square, the spirals are open, and it has flat black paint. 5100 on a G80 is not that hard when you play with Open Rocket enough

You are making people’s case regarding a G80 taking your rocket to 5100’. You can cheat the numbers all you want in openrocket, but the numbers aren’t REAL. If you had an altimeter in the rocket, that would make your claim more real, but that really isn’t the point. I believe that others had focused on the fact that you needed a high power motor to get 5100’, and that your launch was illegal. That is certainly what went through my mind. I wasn’t there, so I can’t conclude anything.

Oh, I dunno, the Estes Yankee makes 1,700 on a C........that lightweight 38mm tube he has there, on a G......I bet it scoots along mighty well. 🤷

You are making people’s case regarding a G80 taking your rocket to 5100’. You can cheat the numbers all you want in openrocket, but the numbers aren’t REAL. If you had an altimeter in the rocket, that would make your claim more real, but that really isn’t the point. I believe that others had focused on the fact that you needed a high power motor to get 5100’, and that your launch was illegal. That is certainly what went through my mind. I wasn’t there, so I can’t conclude anything.

Who are these "others", "they", and "people" who think a HPR motor was used? Only you are making that accusation in this thread.

A simple analysis with Thrustcurve shows that 5000' ft on a G80 in a 38mm is not out of the question. The rocket would need to be small and light around 300 grams, which his photo indicates. The OP said he is in NE PA, so I also gave him an elevation of 2000' above sea level.

1618887023302.png1618887073127.png

Current NAR altitude record, flying a Pnut altimeter, on the same motor the original poster used (G80-13) is 2071 meters or 6795 feet. So what, exactly, "stretches credulity" about 5100 feet? And what was mentioned in his postings that suggested anything "illegal?"

Lost is my original point. Jolly Logic chute release is a cool tool, that's it.

As for legality, I certainly did not break any rules, as the rocket landed in the launching field.

As for "Credulity" of my stated altitude; I literally could not possibly care any less. With regards to design, altitude, etc., I compete with one person only - myself. When I see something interesting, I post it, hoping maybe someone else finds it interesting as well. That's it.

If I post something you don't believe, feel free to call me out on it. I find it amusing, nothing more. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

Payload,

I understood your point and completely agree with it. Jolly Logic makes great products and the Chute Release is just amazing. Like you, it allows me to fly high flights and still have a reasonable chance of recovering them in my flying field.

And the altitude you said you flew to is completely believable. I have no idea why someone would attack you for it. Just ridiculous.

Nice looking model, by the way. I, too, just started using the fly-away rail guides, which I buy from Apogee. They work great, but I can't believe how far away they fly when they pop off.

You don't need a waiver to fly small H motors even, much less a G. Look at FAR 101, it is propellent weight not Motor Letter in the regulations or altitude expected.

If I Recall Correctly, I "Think" the H128 is under that limit.

You saying a person can launch a rocket 5000 feet up with no regards to air traffic? If so, then I’m wrong.

Hball55, no, that's not what we are saying. You always have to pay attention to air traffic. Even small model rockets on tiny motors should not be launched if an airplane is flying overhead. But if there is no aircraft flying nearby, you can absolutely launch a model rocket to 5000 feet without a waiver from the FAA, as long as it is a class one model rocket.

Reviewing this article may help you to understand the regulations a little better: https://simplerocketry.com/is-it-illegal-to-launch-model-rockets/

Back