50th Anniversary of Model Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockwaveriderz

Reaction score
This post is a little early but throughout the year I plan on posting famous dates in rocketry history, primarily model rocket history, but it may be from all aspects of rocketry.

For example on January 28th, 1957 G.H. Stine received his famous first letter from Orville H. Carlisle, describing his Rock-A-Chute model rocket system.

This letter was the result of a G.H.Stine article entitled,
" The World's Safest Business" which appeared in the February 1957 Mechanix Illustrated.

The rest is "history" as they say......

terry dean
nar 16158

Good date to remember. I'll be at Winter Nationals on the 28th. I'll launch one of my rockets to celebrate the anniversary.

Are you coming to NARCON this year, Terry? They are looking for additional presenters, and I'm sure you could do a great "History of Model Rocketry" session. The theme is "celebrating 50 years of sport rocketry" so a presentation like this would be a perfect fit.

www.narcon2007.org

On this month back in February 1957, G. Harry Stine received his first package of model rocket motors, model rockets, launchers etc from Orville Carlisle.

G.Harry Stine built and flew his first "Rock-a-Chute" model rocket on Feb 5, 1957 in a cotton field in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

just thought you might want to know!

terry dean
nar 16158

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
in a cottonfield in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Way cool........ I went college at NMSU in Las Cruces before joining the Air Force. Never knew it was famous in the rocketry world. Thanks for Sharing.

do a Google Earth on 1100 Circle Drive, Las Cruces, NM thats where G.Harry Stine, his wife Barbara, and their two daughters, Ellie and Connie lived while G. Harry worked at the WSPG

terry dean
nar 16158

In Early March 1957, G. Harry Stine and Orville H. Carlisle INDEPENDENTLY developed electrical ignition for model rockets.

Letters outlining each others techniques passed each other in the mail.

In addtion, in this same time frame , Orville H. Carlisle sent G. Harry Stine some specially handmade -0 motors and showed G. Harry Stine how to do multi-stage model rockets.

terry dean
nar 16158

Back