5 x 29mm Cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewW

Reaction score
I am interested in scratch building something that would allow me to experiment with clustering and air starts. I was originally looking at building something with a 5.5" BT and a 54mm core with four 29mms but was wondering if anyone has done a 5 x 29mm configuration in a 4" Air frame. It looks like it works in OR but appears to be very tight and I wanted to see if anyone has actually pulled it off.

The LOC Ultimate is a 7x29mm in a 4" air frame so x5 shouldn't be a problem.

I have never seen the Ultimate before is it still in production?

Retention is the key. Make sure there is room for however you are going to hold the motors in.

I was thinking about some studs between the motors with a nut and washer for retention

So it looks like I should have no problem with a 5 x29mm pattern. My real goal is play with air starting. I would like to leave the pad with a CTI 29-6XL in the center and then air start the outer motors in two stages a few second apart.

the good thing with most odd numbered clusters is they can be configured to be able to launch on any amountnof motors. the nighthwak i had, i could launch with anything from 1-7 motors at once.
never did get around to airstarting, but working on a scratch built nighthawk and setting it up to try it

LOC used to, and still may, put together an out of production kit.
If you scratch build use plenty of fin area, clusters can get really tail heavy.

M

the good thing with most odd numbered clusters is they can be configured to be able to launch on any amountnof motors. the nighthwak i had, i could launch with anything from 1-7 motors at once.
never did get around to airstarting, but working on a scratch built nighthawk and setting it up to try it

Good point. Any configuration that allows for any number of motors - limited only by the number of motor mounts - is a plus. The Nighthawk is a great example and really cool looking one at that.

Have we seen 1x 29 + 7x 24 in a 3in? Should be just barely possible using the CTI tapered closure to retain 7x g65, say.

One of my most difficult decisions was picking between a 75mm mount with twelve 29mm mounts or a 98mm mount and six 29mm. I had to remind myself how expensive 1x75mm and 6x29mm can be...

Back