5" Wildman Gizmo Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how do you fit a Beeline Transmitter, a Perfect Flight Stratologger and a 9-volt battery into a cylinder that is 2" in diameter? Apparently not with the transmitter and the altimeter side-by-side. While they fit on the sled that way, they did not fit inside of the cylinder. So I had to resort to plan B. I cut the sled in half and placed the two pieces opposite each other, but off-center so the battery could fit as well. Here they are pressed into place. Now I have to figure out how to secure everything.

E-Bay Reconfiguration.jpg

Completed the electronics bay. Now time to finish the electronics/chute pod and install it in the nose cone.

Completed Ebay.jpg

Completed Ebay 2.jpg

Assembling the mounting system for the dual deployment pod. The pod will be held into the nosecone bulkhead with six screws, The nuts are epoxied to the other side of the bulkhead. Right now they are epoxied into place with 5-minute epoxy, but I may have to reaffix them with JB Weld. The 2 holes by the powder cup on the bulkhead will be where the wire leads for the drogue charge. You can see the main powder cup inside the pod.

DD Pod 2.jpg

This view shows the pod with the main chute cap protruding out the aft end. It will shove all the way into the pod. In addition to protecting the main from the drogue charge deployment, it also serves to seal the pod so that the main deployment charge is more effective.

DD Pod 1.jpg

Assembly is complete. For the first flight I think my switch will be a twist and tuck. The DD pod seems very secure with the 6 #6 nuts and bolts holding it in place. The entire configuration weighs 6 lbs. 10 oz. A little more than I thought, but not terrible. Photo shows how the DD will look set in place.

completed DD pod.jpg

Now it is time for the paint. It will be ready to fly this weekend.

First coat of paint. Unfortunately I ran out so I need to get another can. It is going to be yellow with charcoal metalic fins. If I can get to Pep Boys, I'll see if they have any decent decals. Cutting it close to get it into the air Saturday, but we all know how much better rockets fly when they have a good paint job.

First Coat of Paint.jpg

Very nice...

Is that a drogue attached directly to the eyebolt? If so, do you have any concerns about entanglement during the deployment of the main? I would think that in this type of design the best bet would be to have the drogue (if used) attached close to the airframe so the nose would have a good bit of separation from the drogue during main deployment.

The main is attached to 5' of shock cord so it will be above the drogue. As long as it deploys cleanly I should be OK. I thought about the drogue being closer to the airframe but I would rather have it dangling below the nose already instead of the above it. Reduces risk of tangling with the fins and shock cord and also reduces the stress on the deployment pod that holds the main.

Plus, the nose cone has 12 oz. of buckshot in it and weighs about a pound more than the airframe because of the electronics. All in all, it is coming in at about 6.75 pounds. Good stability (about a full diameter from the CG to the CP), but I am concerned that if I go drogueless the main will deploy at about 200 mph. I've seen them get ripped off when coming in drogueless, and the even though they are separated, the nose still can retrieve a nice core sample. With an 18" drogue it is still falling at about 50, but I think the main can handle that.

Last edited:
First coat of paint. Unfortunately I ran out so I need to get another can. It is going to be yellow with charcoal metalic fins. If I can get to Pep Boys, I'll see if they have any decent decals. Cutting it close to get it into the air Saturday, but we all know how much better rockets fly when they have a good paint job.

View attachment 99283

Looks great! Never fly naked!

Fly it Sat. with out decals. Than order a set from Sticker Shock. Mark does a good job for a very great price.
GP

I didn't see anything decent today, so I probably will. Mark did an excellent job for me earlier this year.

Here she sits with the black fins. It needs some sort of decal which I will probably order later. Ken Allen ran out of J760's, so the first flight will be on a J449.

Last coat of paint.jpg

She flew today. The view from the ground was awesome. Because of the weather I opted to fly a J360 that The DD system worked very well. Unfortunately, she landed in a tree. We have a team in our club who does excellent tree recovery, so I am expecting all to be well. Hopefully then I can get the onboard video.

But for now, here is what it looked like from the ground...

[YOUTUBE]MYkoSUTlWis&feature[/YOUTUBE]

One of our MARS Club members took this incredible shot. I can now see why so many people love this rocket. It was a blast to build and flies amazingly.

Gizmo Launch 2.jpg

She flew today. The view from the ground was awesome. Because of the weather I opted to fly a J360 that The DD system worked very well. Unfortunately, she landed in a tree. We have a team in our club who does excellent tree recovery, so I am expecting all to be well. Hopefully then I can get the onboard video.

But for now, here is what it looked like from the ground...

[YOUTUBE]MYkoSUTlWis&feature[/YOUTUBE]

wow, nice vid!!!

Beautiful liftoff pic Evan.

Here is mine on an I300 (courtesy of Liberty Launch Systems):

Bob
TRA6797

gizmo.jpg

Hi,
I'm also planning on building a Dual Deploy Wildman Gizmo. Do you think I can get the open rocket file that you made? I've only been able to find the rocksim file.
Thanks you!

Back