5 Times A Fool scratch build (was Viking upscale)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm almost finished with my Bullpup XL build, I just have to wait for the paint to dry completely and put the decals on. So I've got a length of LOC 3.1" tubing, and a nose cone for it. I've been toying with several upscale designs. Among them a Super Alpha, Sprint XL, old style Hornet, and Goblin. But I've decided on the Viking, for several reasons: I like 5 fin rockets; I've always liked the Estes Viking; and I wanted something simple with no masking. I won't even need to cut the body tube. It's been 2 years since my scratch building heyday, and physically, I'm just not up to anything even semi complex.

With a 34" body tube and 12.5" nose cone, it'll be a couple inches short of the scale length. But I'm okay with that. I even made the fins 10% smaller because I think it looks better that way. I haven't decided yet if I'll go with stock decals, or design my own.

green_yellow.png

View attachment Viking XL.ork

SA_screensot2.png

Goblin_screenshot.png

Hornet_screenshot.png

Sprint_screenshot.png

View attachment decal.pdf

Last edited:
The smaller fins do look better. Such a simple, but elegant, design. Did the original Estes Viking have a cartoon viking like your decal .pdf? I like it!

That's interesting. I didn't know Centuri had a Viking. I noticed it's three fins instead of five.

It was pretty much the same kit with five fins, where you have the option of using three, four, or five on any of the edges.

Glad to see you feel like building again! Maybe I'll be inspired enough to finish some of my old projects.

I'm almost finished with my Bullpup XL build, I just have to wait for the paint to dry completely and put the decals on. So I've got a length of LOC 3.1" tubing, and a nose cone for it. I've been toying with several upscale designs. Among them a Super Alpha, Sprint XL, old style Hornet, and Goblin. But I've decided on the Viking, for several reasons: I like 5 fin rockets; I've always liked the Estes Viking; and I wanted something simple with no masking. I won't even need to cut the body tube. It's been 2 years since my scratch building heyday, and physically, I'm just not up to anything even semi complex.

With a 34" body tube and 12.5" nose cone, it'll be a couple inches short of the scale length. But I'm okay with that. I even made the fins 10% smaller because I think it looks better that way. I haven't decided yet if I'll go with stock decals, or design my own.

That's the little rocket that got me back in to rocketry in 2009 after my prostate surgery.The way the kit is you have choices on what way to mount the fins that are cardboard,no grain direction.What are you going with?The one pictured?

If you open the pdf for the catalog, and scroll down a few pages...
The Viking is there pictured with 5 fins.
I also like the Viking.
I'll probably some day do an upscale with basswood fins.
What size Engine you going with? 38mm?

No, 29mm. The motors are cheaper. LOL

It sims at 1300ft on a G64. That's perfect for the local LPR/MPR field.

This is frustrating... I can't find the Centuri Viking's instructions, nor the fin patterns for it. Scigs30 did post some decals over on YORF though. I didn't know the kit originally had fiber fins. However, I did turn up the Akela (Cub Scouts version) info. Since I'm a Portland State alum (Vikings), I'm now interested in simming this kit up with the little cartoon character.

That's the little rocket that got me back in to rocketry in 2009 after my prostate surgery.The way the kit is you have choices on what way to mount the fins that are cardboard,no grain direction.What are you going with?The one pictured?

I'm going with 5 fins as in my screenshot. But I may rename it, like I told Todd. Everything will be the same except the decal, and maybe paint colors.

Todd! Great to see you're still around!

You reminded me of a scratch build I started designing a few years ago. Maybe I'll rename this one "5 Times A Fool".

Ya simply can't go wrong with scary clowns!

I'm going with 5 fins as in my screenshot. But I may rename it, like I told Todd. Everything will be the same except the decal, and maybe paint colors.
Todd?Looking at those fins,are they going to be TTW mounted?Looks like they could break or chip on landing if it comes down on a hard surface.But knowing you I'm sure they will be thick and strong enough to withstand anything.Decal looks familiar don't you have a rocket with a decal of a clown?I could be thinking of someone else.

Todd?Looking at those fins,are they going to be TTW mounted?Looks like they could break or chip on landing if it comes down on a hard surface.But knowing you I'm sure they will be thick and strong enough to withstand anything.Decal looks familiar don't you have a rocket with a decal of a clown?I could be thinking of someone else.

Yes, TTW fins as usual, 3/16" birch plywood. No, don't have any rockets with an evil clown decal.

Ooooo, "Sinister" would be a good name for the rocket!

I haven't seen Sinister II, but in the 1st Sinister movie the evil clown look'n fella left an insignia scrawled on the wall. That would make a good decal to go along with the name.

Good to see you two "old timers" are still around. Yep, evil clowns rock!! Not sure which of your designs I prefer, but to be honest, I am not overly happy with the Sinister one. But then, it isn't my rocket, so my opinion doesn't count to begin with.

Great idea on the upscale Cap'n. I added 3 nose cones to the pile so I guess I need to get some things rolling in my dungeon as well.

Curious where you find 3/16" ply? All I have seen is 1/8 and 1/4... Are you getting 5mm somewhere?

y"all have fun!!

I still haven't decided on the name, decals, or color scheme yet. I need to get it built first, before those decisions are made. But I enjoy designing the graphics. As for 3/16" ply, I bought several 12x24 and 12x12 sheets a few years ago, from BalsaUSA. It was pretty warped when I got it, but when I checked it for my Bullpup XL build, found it had relaxed somewhat. I also just bought a 24x48 sheet of birch plywood from Lowe's, that looks pretty good. It's actually 5.2mm, so somewhere in between 1/4" and 3/16". I might try that on this build.

https://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/199.htm

https://www.lowes.com/pd/1-4-in-Birch-Plywood-Application-as-2-x-4/1000066175

plywood01.jpg

I've been playing with colors in Open Rocket, and think I have it narrowed down to either red and black, or all black.

all_black.png

red_black.png

As for 3/16" ply, I bought several 12x24 and 12x12 sheets a few years ago, from BalsaUSA. It was pretty warped when I got it, but when I checked it for my Bullpup XL build, found it had relaxed somewhat. I also just bought a 24x48 sheet of birch plywood from Lowe's, that looks pretty good. It's actually 5.2mm, so somewhere in between 1/4" and 3/16". I might try that on this build.

https://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/199.htm

https://www.lowes.com/pd/1-4-in-Birch-Plywood-Application-as-2-x-4/1000066175

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into those sources....

Back