5.5" Nike Smoke... Can I do it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice pics, that flight loooks like it was awesome. How much did yours weigh?

I du+nn+o+ w+hat I am g+oi+ng to fly it on..+. An I357T+ +w+ou+ld be too++ smal++l++, right?+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ho+w+ hig+h woul+d it +go+ on+ a+ J3+50?++++++++++++++
+
+(%#&%&#& Ke+y++bo+ard.... :kill:+
+\
That +rocket look+++++++s great!++ Great p+i++ctures! +Now I+ REA+LLY +wan+t one...++. :D :D :D

If you go easy on the epoxy, an I357T isn't out of the question for this rocket, however it's really cool on the bigger motors, so don't skimp on the epoxy. From what I can tell, Andy's kits are very well engineered to take the flight stresses (albeit somewhat basic), so as long as you're careful you can fly an I357T and a K660 as well :)

I was just wondering cause I got 3 I357Ts sitting in my range box waiting to be burned... :D :D :D

Well, that US Composites stuff isnt all that heavy with the QCells, so it might work... How low would the weight have to be to fly something this size on the I357?

I would not recommend putting Qcells in places that need to be strong....they are best for fillets not load bearing areas.

I dont know about the I357, it is a baby I and if you build it real strong I would think that would be pushing it. I would think the I435 would be okay

Theoretically:

I357T = 357 N average thrust

357 / 4.45 = 80.224 lb average thrust

80.224 lb / 5 = 16.044 lb max weight for an I357T to get off the pad straight.

Problem is, the motor burns for 1.1 seconds. That means that that 16 lb big fat rocket isn't going to get very far... around 265 feet per RockSim (this was a 5.5" rocket). A 9 lb 5.5" rocket will make it 890 feet on an I357T, an 8 lb one 1064 feet, and a 7 lb one 1290 feet. Note that these are loaded weights, and are all estimates per RockSim. According to these numbers, I'd feel safe flying a 5.5" rocket on an I357T if it weighs 8 lbs or less. Use an altimeter though, just in case -- you don't know how accurate a delay time may be, especially at these low altitudes.

If it's possible, put the I357Ts in your 4" rocket and fly it with main chute only, no altimeters or anything. That'll keep the weight down and make the flights reasonable. It sounds like you're overestimating the weight of your 4" rocket, though, so they may fly in it anyways.

I'd build this one strong and fly it hard, and save the Is for your 4" rocket.

In all seriousness, fighting weight is going to bite you in the bum...you have to find the median, you can't over build, or underbuild at the same time. I suggest saving your money and buying a suitable motor for this rocket. A nice I284, I435, or J350 to start. Then move up to J and K motors of larger sizes.

When you get into big rockets, you don't want to fly them as low and slow as mid power rockets, they get dangerous. Sometimes you just have to spend the money or fly smaller rockets.

More power is cooler anyways;)

Originally posted by DPatell
More power is cooler anyways;)

Says he who put the I motor in the Fat Boy!

I guess what it comes down to is this: I'd rather overbuild than underbuild, but I always put in the biggest mount possible. You can't fly HPR on MPR-sized fields, because in HPR altitudes of 1000' and under are just not acceptable (IMHO) -- a parachute almost takes that much time to inflate. If you have an in-flight problem, altitude is time, and on bigger rockets especially, it takes a lot more time for even the most mundane of tasks to happen.

Yes. That definetly sounds like good advice. Not like I have any serious problem with more power or anything.....:D :D :D ;)

So I buy the rocket, build it strong, and buy big motors....

In other words I buy a big rocket, build it big, and fly it big....

In still other words, I have a load of fun!:D :D

Yeah, I did way over estimate the Shadow and Flame finished weight by a ton... Maybe even 5 or 6 pounds off....:eek: The nosecone is very heavy, so that will be an extra bit, but I think it will be 10 pounds once finished. The fincan is 90% done... I got all the stuff on it, and painted it yesterday, and the only thing remaining is to foam the fincan. Or, if it (the expanding foam) still hasnt come by the 27th (3 days before we leave for LDRS), I will put some US Composites fillets in there instead.

It looks like I will be able to get this all done (edit.... I mean the Shadow and Flame) in time for LDRS. I also just finished a PML IO, PML quarter scale patriot, scrath-built 3" diameter bird, and made my Yank 3" Tomahawk flightworth by putting launch lugs on it. I almost doubled my HPR fleet in the past month! Five new HPR birds! So thats 6 old ones and 5 new ones finished right now. If you count the S&F, which isnt done enough to count it as finished, you have 6 new and 6 old!

I am so exited about LDRS.................................................

Your telling ME its a lot of money!? I just bought it... And the nomex option...

$240.

:eek:

How the heck do they justify a $30 shipping charge for one rocket!? I know its big, but Magnum only charges $25 to ship 11" tubes...:(

And if I wanted the "next day" option... It would be $120 just for shipping!:eek: Im terribly sorry, but I dont need my rocket delivered tomorrow morning THAT badly...:rolleyes:

OK. NOw I have complained about the shipping prices... Now to the fun stuff!

So I ordered it.... And I also bought the nomex heatshield option. For $200, you would think they would give me the heatshield for free, but no...:rolleyes: But hey, what can you do? It does look like an exelent kit... It says pre-shaped fins... What do you suppose that means? Did they put an airfoil on them any everything?:) That would make my day! I cant do that very well... Its very agravating... And the 'glass cone... and big piece of glassed tube...

So I guess they can justify the price, if only by a little. For a 13 yer old kid, it is preeety bad though...

But we wanted it my precious... And we got it... BWAAHAHAHAA!!! PRECIOUS, PRECIOUS, PRECIOUS!!!! (he screams while jumping up and down holding the invoice from the hobby shop in his hand)

MY PRECIOUS!!!!!

Congratulations Neil. It sounds like you worked hard to get this rocket. It's much more satisfying when you pay for it yourself and build it yourself.

Take your time and build it nice and strong. You said your dad is planning on going for level 2? Take advantage of that and fly it on a J or a K. I'd like to take the opportunity to recommend the J570W :D . I love that motor.:)

I doubt it will even be here by LDRS...:(

If it comes within 5 days of now, I could theoretically do it... But I dont think I will. Ill just wait untill after LDRS to build it... I shouldent rush it and screw up.:rolleyes:

Yes, my dad is going for L2. His rocket is almost done, exept for the nose cone... We still need to find a way to turn a nosecone for his bird...:confused:

Ive got some pics of it SOMEWHERE around here...:rolleyes:

He did a very good job on it! The US Composites fillets turned out very well. Im proud of him!:D ;)

Well, my dad didnt quite remember what the Smoke I just bough looked like (we looked at it for a while for a possible L2 bird before we decided to scratch-build), so he asked me to show it to him... So I went to the Whatsup hobbies page... Click on the Polecat Aerospace link. The 10" Smoke is at the top. The 29 pound 12 foot tall Nike Smoke. :D I had forgotten this... So I think quick...:D

"Thats the one im getting, Dad!" :D

" WHAT!? "

LOL! So I scrolled down and showed him the one I was REALLY getting. If I hadent I surely would have been in big trouble... :D

So we all got a good laugh out of it, and my dad just about had a heart attack.:D ;) :p

LOL! Yes.

Polecat Nike Smoke: $500

Heatshield: $15

Parachute: $100

The look on your dad's face when you tell him what you are (not) buying: Priceless.

:D

I dunno... Ill check... I hope they did. I like checking those things every two hours...:D

...then you certainly would have killed your father if he'd see the full scale Nike SmokeNike Smoke from Performance Rocketry :eek: :D

BTW, the guy in my club who has the Polecat NS 5.5, successfully cert'ed L2 last Saturday with it on a Pro38 J285.

Taking a closer look at his rocket, I think the challenge is with finishing the kit (namely filling in the 'glass cloth weave). There is little to assemble Polecat kits. They are very well made & designed to be simple to build.

Neil,
Go for it !!!
I am almost finished with the Phoenix 5.5.
Building this kit was alot easier than most of my other models.

Enjoy !!!

Ron

Finishing is my weak spot. I cant do it worth beans.

THis model might come out looking like a piece of crap, but itll fly well...:rolleyes:

Alas, they didnt have that full-scale on the page with the others... If it had been there, I would have done it...:D ;)

Sometime I want to get another Polecat kit... Maybe the Thumper or the Skeeter 5.5...

Or maybe the Saturn V... :D ;) ;) ;) ;) :p

And the full-scale Nike Smoke... I think thats, $3000, right? THat would be... Lets see... 100 lawn mowings!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think I better go buy some more gas... ;) ;) ;):D

Back