4inch Hornet Upscale Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some extra strength, take the piece you cut out and glue it over the joint on the inside of the coupler. Just trim it a little shorter if you are going to have end caps that have an inside shoulder.
I was planning to just glass the inside. I did it on a few other 4" couplers and loved the finish. That is a good idea though.

Not much in terms of progress, but small steps keep the project moving. I sanded down the excess glue that dripped out of the slots with a mini dremel. Super cheap at harbor freight, and works somewhat decent for small jobs like this.
20230221_213804.jpg

Alright, bit more progress. The following was done over the course of last weekend, so I'm a bit late to documenting.

First off, I began laying the first of the external fillets. I didn't really get a good picture, but it still shows the setup. 2 at a time with a level clamped to the body tube to make sure it stayed level. I tried running a micro torch over the fillets to get rid of bubbles as a mini experiment and it worked pretty well. For my next 3 sets, I'll mix microspheres so the epoxy doesn't drip as much and it's easier to sand. That was one regret I had after laying these.
1678430285952.png

Next up was glassing the coupler. I wrapped a piece of paper around the coupler, then used it as a template to cut the glass. Wood blocks to assist with holding the paper in place. Here I'm using some scrap 6oz cloth I had on hand.
1678430434265.png

Glass cutout, epoxy mixed, and working area prepped...
1678430500288.png

Paint the inside of the coupler
1678430550192.png

I tightly rolled the glass and carefully pushed it through the coupler making sure not to contact the epoxy. Once it was properly inside the coupler, I used my fingers to smooth it out against the coupler walls (wearing gloves of course!) and then painted a bit more epoxy to make sure the cloth was properly saturated and sealed. The seam overlaps by about an inch.
1678430690308.png

Once dried, I cleaned up the edge a bit with a dremel and some sandpaper. The white speckles are the unwiped remnants from sanding it.
1678430839556.png

The finish is pretty decent. The edges still need to be cleaned up a bit, but that's a job for another day. Now since someone is probably thinking it, I intentionally did not use the balloon method. The finish still came out really nice, and I'm happy with it. For comparison, I have used the balloon method before.

Next up is laying out the altimeter bay, finishing off fillets, and finally printing the nose cone.

Just wondering if you are planning to glass the OD of the BT or put couplers along the ID? I've found that mailing tubes are not as dense or strong as rocket tubes like LOC. The rockets I built with mailing tubes didn't hold up so well. Of course I always end up putting in the largest motor that will fit, so that doesn't help.

Just wondering if you are planning to glass the OD of the BT or put couplers along the ID? I've found that mailing tubes are not as dense or strong as rocket tubes like LOC. The rockets I built with mailing tubes didn't hold up so well. Of course I always end up putting in the largest motor that will fit, so that doesn't help.
I wasn't planning on glassing the tube. This tube is actually really strong - I would say on the stronger side of the spectrum for mailing tubes. I would agree that it isn't as dense as a LOC tube, but it seems about comparable strength. It's also a fairly short rocket, so there's a lot of reinforcement from the centering rings, glassed Coupler, and nose cone shoulder.

Another set down. This time I've got pictures to document my process:

Scoop up some micro balloons and mix them into the epoxy. I used about 2-3 scoops to get a desirable consistency.
1678687176480.png1678687209711.png

Glue is dabbed along the fin
1678687282236.png1678687299891.png

Shaped with a large tongue depressor
1678687328593.png

And... boom. Sweet fillets.
1678687357406.png

I'm hoping to have some time this week to get the nosecone print started and parts cut for the av bay. The last set of fillets should mark completion of the booster. I grabbed some filler/primer, yellow, and some clear coat recently, so I'm ready to start finishing as soon as it's done.

Back