---

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl is going to be mad you let this cat out of the bag!:mad:...:p :roll:

Good find!

So many kits, so little time!:rolleyes:

Couplea three new Semroc kits listed on the Semroc website:

Centuri Marauder
Spartan
ThunderChief

Interesting that the Marauder is the Centuri Marauder and uses the old Centuri logo, but the ThunderChief isn't named ThunderHawk. Some trademark stuff going on there, I suppose.

The ThunderChief is just another scaled version of the Thunder series originally from Centuri. It is scaled using the Semroc 9 Series BT. It would appear that ThunderStrike and ThunderStorm will follow at some point. The site has the ThunderBird, ThunderHawk, and ThunderRoc as planned. I was able to order all the parts last year to build the series.

I noticed the new kits were ready on Sunday. I placed an order for the ThunderChief plus other kits and parts at 9:09 AM PST on Monday. I got the shipping notice at 10:41 AM on MONDAY!!!!. The level of service that SEMROC provides is absolutely unbelievable. They really do know how to create Raving Fans!!!

--- Ron

T-kits painted.jpg

T-painted-close.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering what was going to happen to Semroc's plans to release the Thunder (fill-in-the-blank) kits because Estes announced that they were going to release the Thunder kits as part of their Classic Series releases (which is delayed until the the end the year at the earliest.

There were several other kits Semroc released (including the Nighthawk) that Estes forced Semroc to pull off the market (I put in my Semroc order while the kits were still available). I am trying to figure out a rhyme or reason as to which kits Estes complains about copyrights. I am also trying to figure out how Estes came up with the list of kits for the Classic Series-- I hope that Estes didn't look at Semroc's list of upcoming kits to try to steal their thunder (in more ways than one :roll:)

Last edited:
The Spartan looks like a Centuri kit from the 70's that used a plastic fin unit. Am I close Carl? In any event, looks like another kit to pick up at NARAM!

The Spartan looks like a Centuri kit from the 70's that used a plastic fin unit. Am I close Carl? In any event, looks like another kit to pick up at NARAM!

Looks like you are partly correct.
Here it is listed in one of the 1975 Centuri Rocket Times.

Centuri Spartan

The publication states that all kits on that page have "pre-cut balsa fins".

Last edited:

Centuri Marauder
Spartan
ThunderChief

Interesting that the Marauder is the Centuri Marauder and uses the old Centuri logo, but the ThunderChief isn't named ThunderHawk. Some trademark stuff going on there, I suppose.
The ThunderChief, ThunderStorm and ThunderStrike will be, like the already released ThunderBee, entirely new models that are done in the same style as the old Centuri Thunder series. Remember that the original Thunder series rockets were the:

ThunderHawk - dia. = 0.759", length = 21.5"
ThunderBird - dia. = 1.0", length = 41.75"
ThunderRoc - dia. = 1.64", length = 61.5"

Semroc's Thunder series models will include one that is intermediate in size between the 'Hawk and the 'Bird, one that is intermediate in size between the 'Bird and the 'Roc, and one that is larger (considerably :D ) than the 'Roc. This is in addition to the already-released ThunderBee, which is a mini-engine model that is smaller than the 'Hawk. If you get all of Semroc's proposed and released Thunder models, and either own or clone Centuri's original Thunder series, you will have a total of seven rockets in the Thunder series that run in length from just under 15" to just over 7 feet. :cool: :w:

There is also the OOP Estes #2002 Thunderhawk (not quite the same as the others, but in the same style, at least as it was shown in the 1989 catalog), and the total would be up to 8. (And then there were the Estes #1429 Thunderbolt and the recently OOP #2192 Thunderstar, but they weren't part of the series. ;) )

ThunderGoon, anyone? (One of Craig McGraw's BARCLONE designs.)

MarkII

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, Ron (e42) and MarkH, I didn't notice that you had already discussed all of this. :eek:

Last edited:
Carl is going to be mad you let this cat out of the bag!:mad:...:p :roll:

Good find!

So many kits, so little time!:rolleyes:
Not mad! We put them online in the cart before the rest of the web pages were readt!

Centuri Marauder
Spartan
ThunderChief

Sorry if some of this is repeated in earlier posts, but I have been too busy lately to keep up!

Estes-Cox over the years did at least three different Marauder kits. Centuri did only one. Ours is closest to the Centuri version. We wanted to differentiate from the Estes line.

The ThunderChief is the third in the series and is ST-8 based. The Thunder-kits are based on the original Centuri three. We did the smallest (ThunderBee) years ago as a composite of the three Centuri kits. They are roughly similar, but used whatever nose cones were similar in the different scales. The two small ones used Centuri parts and the ThunderRoc was Estes BT-60 based, instead of Centuri ST-16, probably because Centuri did not have a long elliptical nose cone, but Estes had the BT-60AH.

When we heard last year that Estes-Cox were going to start shipping the ThunderHawk, ThunderBird and ThunderRoc early last spring, we concentrated on the in-betweens. The ThunderStrike (ST-13 based) will be ready for NARAM. The ThunderStorm (ST-20 based) will be released later if there is enough interest. The T.Hawk, T.Bird and T.Roc have an uncertain future. If Estes-Cox does their usual run of 100,000 of each, it will be pointless for us to do our usual 150 run!:D

The Stellar kits had a short life at Centuri. I have heard they were originally released as mass-merchandised products for 5-10 cent stores, failed, and were then marketed as mail-order only, then the line was dropped. The Spartan was the second in the series and got a second life with a plastic fin can and was renamed the Screaming Eagle. All the leftover balsa fins found a second life in the Flutter-by kit, which was also short-lived, probably about as long as the Spartan excess fin inventory lasted. (Surplus parts elimination vehicle?)

There is some trademark stuff going on.. another post, another time.

...The level of service that SEMROC provides is absolutely unbelievable. They really do know how to create Raving Fans!!!

--- Ron
Thanks so much for your kind words.

Great looking Thunder family.

Thanks so much for your kind words.

Great looking Thunder family.

At the risk of hijacking this thread...when do you anticipate the release of your version of the 1/100 Saturn V???

I have your Saturn 1B and can't wait for the Saturn V!!!

I am also interested in the ThunderStorm particularly if it came with a 38MM motor mount.

I am also interested in the ThunderStorm particularly if it came with a 38MM motor mount.
We are planning a later SLS ThunderQuake that will have basswood, thick tubes, etc. for higher power. The ThunderStorm is designed to keep the weight down and use mid-power engines. It will not be designed for High-G.

Move the ThunderQuake forward on the production schedule please, that should be a lot of fun!

Ugh. Put that stoopid book down now. ;)

That is funny. I read the book at least 10 years ago so I am sure that I have put it down by now :confused:. But if you have ever purchased from Semroc, you have to agree that they have some of the best customer service you will ever encounter.

--- Ron

Carl, since you're reading this thread...

When can I buy a Semroc Saturn V?

Regards,
Mike
We are still working on it. The wrap #5 is presenting problems that is going to take more time. This is a busy time of the year for us. Since we make parts for many other model rocket companies, they become a higher priority than working on our stuff.

We were able to complete 7 new kits that have been in the queue for a long time! The Saturn V will go back to highest priority after NARAM.

And we are not ignoring anybody! We have been working 100 hour weeks for the past two months.

We were able to complete 7 new kits that have been in the queue for a long time! The Saturn V will go back to highest priority after NARAM.

I got wind of a few of the new kits a few nights ago and got them into my basket. Tonight, I was finishing up a parts order and notices the others. They are now safely ordered too!:D

I jsut finished making out the envelope and it goes out in the morning. With a bit of luck, SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED will not notice the extra envelopes stuck out there with the bills.:rolleyes: If she does, well, its still worth it.:bangpan:

Carl and Bruce were caught showing off their goods on the range this past weekend. Besides the Saturn V, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the 1/10 scale missiles that Carl and friends have been working on. I picked up the Iris, Swift BG, and the Trident xKit while at NARAM. Took every ounce of will power not to come home with an Arcas or Brighton, but maybe one day. Keep 'em coming Semroc!

Carl-and-Bruce.jpg

Semroc-Iris.jpg

Semroc-Brighton.jpg

Semroc-Brighton-boost.jpg

Last edited:
Today has been a tough day. I got home and expected nothing good as a continuation of earlier events in the day. Then my wife told me that a box had arrived for me.

It was my order from Semroc. It had the new stuff plus a lot of parts I had ordered.

I knew when I ordered that they were shutting down for NARAM. I was not in a hurry.

My snail mail order form had not even reached them yet when they shipped.

Customer service indeed.

THanks Carl, Sheryl and all the other fine folks at Semroc.

I'll bet that you didn't know that Carl, Sheryl, Bruce & co. were capable of jumping back and forth in time at will, did you? All for the benefit of their customers. Oh, sure, they will get your snail mail order form sometime next week, but don't worry - they have already read it, filled your order, traveled back in time to earlier this week, and put it in the mail to you. Neat, huh? :D

Watch - they will send your next order out before you have even decided what will be in it. In fact, I think that they are filling it and packing it up now. ;) Wow, you will be ordering that? Coool!!! You are going to love building that new ________ ______ kit! Once they come out with it in a few weeks, you will order it, and then you will receive it in the mail this afternoon... :cool:

:D

MarkII

Back