42" Chute?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a 42" chute. I've found a 45" chute. It could technically work, but I was going for optimal decent rate. And I need it like now. Any suggestions? I need it in hand in 7 days or less. Any suggestions? If not, I'll order the 45" tomorrow night.

Well cheaper is always better lol. The Top Flight 45" is 23.95 so anywhere around there.

Spherachute is the right "size" but I'd guess it has a higher packing volume as well as Cd to match the higher price.

What weight & rate?

Spherachute is the right "size" but I'd guess it has a higher packing volume as well as Cd to match the higher price.

What weight & rate?

Right. If you need to dial in a descent rate, then you should be talking in terms of mass, Cd, and A. The latter two are best given by the manufacturer, since chute performance and reference area can vary greatly.

I don't have my rocksim file in front of me currently. The 42" was simmed on an 8 sided flat parachute.

I think you are seriously over thinking this. If you can get by with a 45" just do it. Optimal descent rate is a guess. You can bet you rate of descent will be different than calculated- throw in a little wind and there you go.

Buy the 45". Fly it and see what your descent rate is. If it is a little to slow but a couple wraps of tape around base of riders/shroud lines to choke them up a little.

True. I may be over thinking it. But on a 50" it floated. Moved almost 3 times further sideways than it descended. I'm also going to lower the deployment from 700' to 500' to help it out. I thought about going lower, but under 500' seems to be pushing it.

Gary at TopFlight will make custom chutes. He's quick to respond to emails. Not sure if Pat at DinoChutes can go that big or not. You may can try an appropriately sized X Type chute to achieve your perfect descent, seems their payload range is narrower.

Mikey D

I've never worked with x form chutes. I've heard you need a much larger chute to get the same Cd. And I have no experience folding them.

I've seen a 42" listed somewhere. Thought I had it bookmarked. Guess not though.

How about using a JL Chute release with the 50" chute? Keep it closed until 500' or so?

The rockets are already redundant dual deploy. When I flew mine, I open the 50" at 700' and it drifted laterally for about 300 yds before landing in the top of pine trees.

The XT chute are very easy to fold. Most of the time go up 1 size larger than a flat chute.

I just looked at your profile. I feel like an idiot. I never put together that you owned Top Flight. Well you sold two chutes today lol. I'd like to learn more about x form chutes. They look nice coming down. I have another build I'll be starting for Southern Thunder. I may look into an x form for it.

I just looked at your profile. I feel like an idiot. I never put together that you owned Top Flight. Well you sold two chutes today lol. I'd like to learn more about x form chutes. They look nice coming down. I have another build I'll be starting for Southern Thunder. I may look into an x form for it.

I have two of Gary's X-form chutes. I find they're easy to pack, and don't take up extra space. I like the look of them too-- wish I had more :)

Received my 45" chutes today. Looks like we'll be testing their effectiveness on my rocket during a shake down flight this weekend.

Just made this 42."

Slow shift here at Medic 4.

Later!

--Coop

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486253461.681717.jpg

Last edited:
Now you tell me. I places an order for two 45" chutes from Top Flight.

Sorry, I posted as soon as I saw your thread. I've bought a lot of chutes from rocketchutes.com over the years, great product, great service.

Just made this 42."

Slow shift here at Medic 4.

Later!

--Coop

View attachment 311007

Coop's a show off! Just cause he can make chutes and I can't, he's rubbing it in my face.

I'm not sure I'd even have the patience to make a chute. I don't even have the patience to sew shroud lines back on my 24" chute.

Last edited:
Coop's a show off! Just cause he can make chutes and I can't, he's rubbing it in my face.

I'm not sure I'd even have the patience to make a chute. I don't even have the patience to see shroud lines back on my 24" chute.

Heheheh. Nah.... Just thought it was a neat bit of synchronicity, that I'd completed the above chute, then shortly thereafter saw this thread.

That one will go in my much beloved (and abused) King Kraken. No more experiments or streamers in her --from here on out, she gets to come down on her own matching chute. After all this time, she's more than earned it.

Later!

--Coop

Heheheh. Nah.... Just thought it was a neat bit of synchronicity, that I'd completed the above chute, then shortly thereafter saw this thread.

That one will go in my much beloved (and abused) King Kraken. No more experiments or streamers in her --from here on out, she gets to come down on her own matching chute. After all this time, she's more than earned it.

Later!

--Coop

Very nice work Coop!

Thanks! I'm pleased with how she turned out.

Later!

--Coop

Back