40W CO2 laser engraver & cutter - US source - $529 shipped

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your sent messages folder, it could be that you have a bunch of sent messages sitting there wasting space.

Check your sent messages folder, it could be that you have a bunch of sent messages sitting there wasting space.
Yep, that now fixed, too. Forgot about that folder.

I found this interesting:
"Kevlar can be laser engraved and laser cut. However, Kevlar does give off extremely hazardous fumes (cyanide gas) when it is vapourised"

So if you use a laser on kevlar, please use a carbon filter on/in your extractor.

George.

I run Several Laser cutters at my Day job.. anywhere from 40 w to 180 watt co2

Yes lasers have a limited lifespan (co2 type) according to Epilog its about 4 to 5 years. at that point you cna replace the laser tube OR you can RECHARGE the tube.. (about 1/3 the cost)

So for the first one that was offered to you you might want to check in with the Manufacturer and see if they offer recharging services..

as a Co2 laser looses its charge the laser light does not react as quick as it used to..

so what you will see Mostly in RASTOR type usage is blurred images. tracking not straight etc but only at higher print speeds.

For Vector cutting you will see a need for increased cut POWER or a decrease in cutting speed to get the same job done. AND you will see again an inconsistancey in cut strightness. the top line will seem correct but as you cut deeper it will tend to no be straight. as if your laser is not centered or focused correctly.

We have one laser at the shop that has not been charged in almost 12 years. I should be able to do a rastor type print at 100% speed and lower power settings. but It just wont do it and look good. I run it for rastor prints (only in an emergence) at about 20% speed and lower power setting and still get a decent PRINT out of it. Vector cutting is fine as long as I am not cutting anything more than 1/2" thick. but I still run it at half speed..

Why dont we recharge it?? we have SEVERAL other machines that work perfect. this machine is very outdated, but in a pinch or if you need something and the other machines are taken... I can make it work..

So to the original poster. YES a 40watt laser is nice you might be able to cut as thick as 1/4" plywood in a single pass with it..if it is all at 100% if not you can run it twice and still cut 1/4" ply and maybe more.

They are a great tool to have in your shop!

You sound like you might be the person I need! I just bought a C02 Laser engraver from China (same as thread starter by the looks of it) and have so far only managed to get the damn thing to engrave into 3mm plywood. My problem is that I can't get it to cut through. It will only cut up to 1.5mm deep, even when I repeat the cut slower. I have tried the cutting on the lowest speed and it just burns the wood.

I am currently trying to liaise with 'China' for some trouble shooting but as you can imagine...it ain't easy. To be honest, I'd pay someone to come and check this thing out for me but I don't even know where to start. Any tips straight off the bat with this issue? Everything seems to be working ok although the 'current regulator' doesn't seem to do anything when I adjust and I thought it was supposed to make the engraving/ cutting deeper or more powerful??? Help please! I am a laser cutting dumbass

Below are some photos of my attempts to cut out the engraved 'diamonds' - you can see that the edges are charred black and not cut through enough even to snap the wood off cleanly. :-(

IMG_2421.JPGIMG_2420.JPG

Seems you focus might be off, those lines are awfully thick

The best situation would be laser cutters that can be used like a "printer".

This is exactly how the quality western-produced laser cutters work. I have the good fortune to have access to a $20K 100-watt Trotec laser cutter, and it accepts files from both Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator. As I had some proficiency in Illustrator the learning curve was pretty manageable and I was able to get up to speed quickly. Proficiency in a drawing program is a MUST before a laser cutter will be of any practical use to you.

I'll make this comment about laser cutters: access to one will change everything about how you approach your hobby. At first I focused on simply making parts, but as I learned how to use the tool that focus quickly shifted to making assembly jigs and alignment tools.

James

Seems you focus might be off, those lines are awfully thick

The lines are thick in part because I had to repeat the cut 3x times. I adjusted the speed each time to make it slower in the hope that it would cut through. In the end it just burnt and blackened the wood and left a think black line. If anyone has a suggestion about where this issue may be originating from so I can try to sort this out with the supplier in China it would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, if someone has a suggestion about who I could pay to come out and help me set this machine up? ie. electrician, general genius, wizard..... I just want to cut wood :-(

Has anyone used one of these with success?
When my local library started a free-to-use makerspace with a multi-thousand-dollar laser cutter, I decided I didn't need one of my own.

That is a great idea. I found a local maker's space to try a laser cutter.

Thanks

You sound like you might be the person I need! I just bought a C02 Laser engraver from China (same as thread starter by the looks of it) and have so far only managed to get the damn thing to engrave into 3mm plywood. My problem is that I can't get it to cut through. It will only cut up to 1.5mm deep, even when I repeat the cut slower. I have tried the cutting on the lowest speed and it just burns the wood.

I am currently trying to liaise with 'China' for some trouble shooting but as you can imagine...it ain't easy. To be honest, I'd pay someone to come and check this thing out for me but I don't even know where to start. Any tips straight off the bat with this issue? Everything seems to be working ok although the 'current regulator' doesn't seem to do anything when I adjust and I thought it was supposed to make the engraving/ cutting deeper or more powerful??? Help please! I am a laser cutting dumbass

Below are some photos of my attempts to cut out the engraved 'diamonds' - you can see that the edges are charred black and not cut through enough even to snap the wood off cleanly. :-(

View attachment 260814View attachment 260815

The lines are thick in part because I had to repeat the cut 3x times. I adjusted the speed each time to make it slower in the hope that it would cut through. In the end it just burnt and blackened the wood and left a think black line. If anyone has a suggestion about where this issue may be originating from so I can try to sort this out with the supplier in China it would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, if someone has a suggestion about who I could pay to come out and help me set this machine up? ie. electrician, general genius, wizard..... I just want to cut wood :-(
You laser lines do look out of focus, or the laser power is much lower than it should be and you just are not developing enough power to cut the wood and you are just burning it.

You mentioned that the current regulator does not appear to be doing anything. If you are correct, that would explain the problem. Once lasing, the power output is proportional to the current, so if you can't adjust the current, you can't change the power. Does the manual mention what the current versus power is?

I've used CO2 lasers since the 1970's ranging from a few watts to over 100 KWatts. And built and rebuilt them. If the manual is somewhat descent and I had a copy of it I would probably figure out what's wrong with your system.

Bob

Back