40 E Squared - A modified Estes 36 D Squared

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl98

Reaction score
About 8 years ago I acquired a box of miscellaneous parts, which included a BT 70 to BT 60 transition. There was also a part that was BT70 diameter on the ends but the middle of the part was flattened. Eventually, I determined these parts were the transition and tube skirts for an Estes 36 D Squared. I had the necessary body tube and nose cone; I purchased the centering rings from BMS. Then the project sat around until recently.

I cannot build stock; it is not in my blood. So why is it called 40 E Squared? The stock model is 36 inches long and sports 2 D engines. My version is 40 inches long and can accommodate E engines. I also did a variation on the fins. I did not like the original fin design and knew it would be impossible to cut the original fins shape by hand. I've also made mine dual deployment capable as well as added a nose cone AV bay for a FlightSketch or Jolly Logic.

Why dual deploy?

1. Why not.
2. Because I wanted to see how I could come up with a light weight AV bay.
3. I ultimately plan on flying the F62-FJ AT 24/60 reloads.

Not a build thread but I do have a few photos of how I adapted the transition to make it an AV bay for an Eggtimer quark. I can also fly it motor deploy without the quark.

Photo Apr 23, 17 45 08.jpgPhoto Apr 23, 17 45 16.jpgPhoto Apr 23, 17 47 08.jpgPhoto Apr 23, 17 48 18.jpgPhoto Apr 23, 18 01 41.jpgPhoto Apr 23, 18 02 13.jpg

Last edited:
I love my 36D squared! Such a great kit, and excellent flyer. I also put E length mounts in mine...haven't had the guts to fly it on E loads yet, but maybe someday.

I love my 36D squared! Such a great kit, and excellent flyer. I also put E length mounts in mine...haven't had the guts to fly it on E loads yet, but maybe someday.
Geez, Mark, if I can do it, how scary can it be?
Estes Toxic Masculinity_Moment 2.jpg

Well, at our HPR field it would be easier...but I usually don't have it with me there...lol
I don't remember the altitude being all that extreme. Based on the above picture, I can't even say for sure that both engines lit. I wouldn't hesitate to fly it at the football field.

I don't remember the altitude being all that extreme. Based on the above picture, I can't even say for sure that both engines lit. I wouldn't hesitate to fly it at the football field.
I've flown mine on Ds at Rip Rap, but the altitude was up there. Would have to be a very calm day to fly it on Es there.

Back