4" Talon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... but don't worry because the coarse look will fade away as it dries:

I usually coat it 3 or 4 times (with buffings in between), then apply the second, most important release agent: PVA. Please accept my advise and do not skip it! You're free to skip the parting wax but not the PVA!!! Ask me how I know! I apply it with the same kind of brush (a new one please) in a single coat (quite thick).

The PVA dries slower than the parting wax so you'd better leave it alone overnight. The result is as follows:

Cloth may then be wetted out with epoxy and conformed directly over the mold: use a loose fabric if it is to follow compound curves and add as many layers as needed to provide a strong enough product. I used 3 layers of 70 gr fiberglass plus one layer of lighter cloth (50 gr) for finishing (less filling required) purposes.

May you express your personal preference between the two proposed color schemes? I'm asking almost everyone and they're still 50%... Thank you!

If I were you, I would choose the top one. They both look great, but the top seems like it'll stay cleaner, and the darker looks meaner. Looking sweet!

Hi Giacomo!

The Talon looks great so far!!

Hhmm, hard decision.. what about combining the two paint shemes?
Ok, it would probably be an act to do with the masking tape but worth the work..

!?
Marxi

Originally posted by DPatell
If I were you, I would choose the top one. They both look great, but the top seems like it'll stay cleaner, and the darker looks meaner. Looking sweet!
I prefer the top one as well... thanks!

Originally posted by Marxi
Hi Giacomo!

The Talon looks great so far!!

Hhmm, hard decision.. what about combining the two paint shemes?
Ok, it would probably be an act to do with the masking tape but worth the work..

!?
Marxi
Thanks, Marxi! Will I see you at the MIR?

What do you mean by combining? Do you mean to continue with the lighter background and the narrow darker lines?

..wow.. there are many ways to go ;-)

I meant to paint the nosecone in the two colors, too.. but.. hmm

Don´t worry.. I´m sure it will come out just nice in the way, you´re gonna paint it!!

I have been thinking about getting the GLR Talon for some time
but have not got around to it.

The original kit has a 54 mm MMT. I am assuming that you
modified the rings, fins, and more importantly the boat tail
to fit the 75 MMT in place. How did you modify the boat tail?

William

Will, I built mine from ... scratch :p ! The boat-tail is a LOC 3.90 nosecone and most of the components are LOC as well; only the MMT is PML phenolic.

Originally posted by g_boxwood
Will, I built mine from ... scratch :p ! The boat-tail is a LOC 3.90 nosecone and most of the components are LOC as well; only the MMT is PML phenolic.

That explains a few things.
I thought you just had the kit.

Pretty good scratch building.

William

Looks very good so far!!

I`ve just started planning a stretched 3" version, should weigh about 2kg with a 54mm motor mount for the hypertek I motors!

cheers,
Roman

Giacomo, Looks great! I prefer the bottom of colors#2. I prefer a greater amount of darker colors on the airframe. Would make your 75mm version easier to spot at high altitudes.
My 4" GL Talon is finally painted and I look forward to posting pictures in a seperate post soon. BTW if you are still looking for the stickers email me. I am about to check the pricing on a new decal for mine as I want the same color I used on the fin tips to be on the decal. I can get another set the color of your choice made and sent over, if practical. I imagine you can do the same in your city? - Peter

Gentlemen,

the Talon was finally brought to the sky by a 75mm AT K560W on Saturday... flight was amazing... first K, first 75mm... many first timers for us all!!!

G-wiz MC says max alt was 4416 ft, max airspeed 320 mph and that the K560 burned for some sweeeeeeeet 4.88 seconds (that's why I chose it instead of the K700W). BTW, I got the adapter in time but really wanted to launch a 75mm reload :D :D :D.

Few pictures right now, none of the lift-off (hopefully someone caught her)...

The Day After on the boat-tail...

I'll try to dig infos about who may have got her... I saw a video for sure but it will take some time.

Have a nice week!

lookin very nice. now I wish that I lived Europe. I wanted to see that thing fly! Great job!

Thanks Gordon! Your cone held something like 3 pounds of noseweight to limit the altitude!!!

Here she is lifting off... the only flight picture for the moment... saw a video of the entire flight, need to get it in hi-res then will extract some frames... seems everyone was watching rather than taking pictures :D :D :D :D ...

Back