4" Punisher - (KCCO/The Chive themed) - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All important step of ordering the decals is done. Booster will be green, vent band white, and nose cone black. Both decals will be white (placed on the green booster).

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

I shot some primer on the P4 on Tuesday. There are some spots that will need some work, but I'm not going to go nuts making the finish perfect. Good enough will be fine for a rocket that I hope to fly often.

DSCN0607.jpg DSCN0608.jpg

I also built up some more disposable charge wells and prepped the bay for flight this weekend. Primary drogue charge 1.7, back-up 2.0, primary main charge 1.3, back-up 1.5

DSCN0610.jpg DSCN0611.jpg DSCN0612.jpg DSCN0615.jpg DSCN0616.jpg DSCN0617.jpg

I looked back but couldn't find... Justin, what are the silver areas on the lower av-bay coupler?

I looked back but couldn't find... Justin, what are the silver areas on the lower av-bay coupler?

The avionics coupler was tight for the main nose cone side, so I had to sand some material off the top of the coupler in order for the CTI cone to fit. Conversely, the bottom of the avionics bay coupler had a slightly loose fit in the booster airframe. The silver areas on the lower portion of the av-bay coupler is aluminum duct tape. I stole this swell idea from Griffin. The aluminum duct tape turned out to be the perfect thickness to eliminate coupler wobble, but not make it too tight on the booster.

Speaking only of my own experience:

Looks like duct tape...aluminum.
I use real aluminum duct tape, to get that perfect coupler/airframe fit. It's thinner and can be used places where most other tapes won't fit/too thick.

Same stuff I use for minimum diam. motor retention.

Edit: typing while Justin posting.

I flew my Punsiher 4 on a first flight with an Aerotech J-800 T over the weekend. Flew great, dual deployed nominally, and landed in a really tall tree of to the West in Three Oaks, MI. It took some doing, but I was able to get the P4 out of the tree. No clue how high it went, altimeters were off by the time I got the rocket out of the tree and I have not had a chance to open the bay and power up the units. I'll get to that this week...

DSCN0631.jpg DSCN0653.jpg DSCN0654.jpg DSCN0655.jpg DSCN0656.jpg DSCN0668.jpg

[video=youtube;Y7l_go_E37E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7l_go_E37E[/video]

Last edited:
Nice first flight, Justin! Sorry to see it land in the tree; bummed we weren't able to get it down right away on Saturday!

Very happy to hear that you got it down with some ingenuity on Sunday morning. Now onto that K or L at MMWP!:cool:

Bad news my friend, my P4 on the 3700 equals busting the Princeton waiver. :(

I like the CJ idea of flying a six pack, which also means you have refreshment for the hike back from recovery.

Of course space may be a little limited in the Punisher 4.

I had to wet sand off some of damaged primer on the booster and nose cone from being swiftly removed from the trees last weekend. This week and weekend was spent wet sanding, priming, sanding, and painting the P4 in the intended KCCO theme. I think it turned out pretty well... we must now go mind the gap...

20160424_171726_resized.jpg20160424_172109_resized.jpg20160424_171228_resized.jpg

Back