4" Punisher - (KCCO/The Chive themed) - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing fun to report other than doing some filler work.

Current to do list:
- Fill, sand, primer, sand entire rocket
- Ground test
- Eventually paint (after 1st flight?)

DSCN0559.jpg

Last edited:
Really clean, nice , neat work Justin...
This is coming out on the money,,,
I'd hope I'll get to see it fly at MWP ??

Teddy

Spherachute drogue arrived as well as the (2) RRC+ altimeters. Didn't get much done other than mounting the altimeters in place on the 3D printed sled and gathered up some stranded wire to wire up the altimeters and switches soon... More to come over the weekend (I hope...). :)

DSCN0566.jpg DSCN0565.jpg DSCN0564.jpg

Got the altimeter switches wired and and both altimeters bench tested.

I also tried the "false positive" test of removing the avionics bay/nose cone while the RRC2+ was armed and I was not able to get the altimeter to fire, which is good. I wired up (2) e-matches only (no BP) in a charge well. The charge well with the blue tape contained the e-match, the other charge well was simply bolted in place and sealed. I also capped the top of a CTI 75mm motor case to ensure the rear of the rocket was sealed as it would be for flight. Instead of taking a ton of photos of the process, I filmed it and will be posting the video as well...

DSCN0572.jpg DSCN0580.jpg DSCN0579.jpg DSCN0578.jpg DSCN0577.jpg DSCN0576.jpg DSCN0575.jpg DSCN0574.jpg DSCN0573.jpg DSCN0581.jpg

Great that works... Just never do that with a Transolve P6+ (if any are still around).

Justin,

Did you wrap tape around the top of the motor tube, to seal the kevlar bridle or just coat it with JB Weld? If it's tape what kind?

Leo

Last edited:
Justin,

Did you wrap tape around the top of the motor tube, to seal the kevlar bridle or just coat it with JB Weld? If it's tape what kind?

Leo

I used regular West Systems to bond the kevlar to the motor mount tube. During lamination, I wrapped regular black electrical tape around it 2-3 times. Once it was fully cured (and before it was glued in the airframe), I removed the electrical tape.

Justin,,
I really like those charge wells...
I make super beautiful wells out of copper pipe and Cu pipe caps sweated on...
I've always loved the way mine look and how robust they are
but I've always been concerned about the e match wire going over the top edge...
When I make them I take great care to round and smooth the top edge so it can't cut the wires insulation...
But these wells should last plenty long with a coat of epoxy, maybe a wrap of glass cloth
and there is zero concern of shorting the match wire..........

Very very cool idea......

Teddy

This last Sunday it was 60 degrees out, much warmer than the 17 degrees when I woke us this AM. :facepalm:

Over the weekend, I shot some primer on the booster fin can during the short window of time conducive to painting. I was able to wet sand some of the high spots down with 600 grit as well... I need to get this thing fully put together and ground tested before I prime/paint much more.

DSCN0584.jpg DSCN0586.jpg DSCN0587.jpg DSCN0588.jpg DSCN0589.jpg

Got the recovery cords put together and the avionics bay wired up for a ground test. More to come after the weekend...

DSCN0591.jpg DSCN0592.jpg DSCN0593.jpg

Last edited:
Justin,

As always, you're doing a fine job! I'm truly enjoying riding along. Because of your fine work, I *had to* purchase Glen's Punisher 4 kit he had for sale. Thanks a lot!:wink:

Can't wait to see it fly on that M3700 at MMWP!:cool:

Lol.... it was a little brisk this morning, so my wife was inside the house. That was my mother in law Kris that was happy to lend a hand. :)

Both charges seemed to have plenty of fire in the wire. :bangbang:

Just did charge testing on mine today as well... Weather was great! Too bad Michiana cancelled... :-(
Got enough dog barf in the main?

JF
Do you place the charge on the the Av-bay lid for main charge or place charge up in tip of the nose cone? I sure hope you didn't burn up that nice TFR custom chute.

Do you place the charge on the the Av-bay lid for main charge or place charge up in tip of the nose cone? I sure hope you didn't burn up that nice TFR custom chute.

Gary,

Short answer: BP charges are attached directly to the main (upper) bulkheads. They are not routed to the tip of the cone. I tried to pack the chute and cord as tight and compact as reasonably possible. I found the chute to fit comfortably towards the tip of the cone since it packed into a small volume. I had no doubt a relatively small amount of BP would kick the cone off as there is very little volume there to pressurize. If I was using a bulkier chute, it is likely that the charges would have to be routed to the tip of the cone.

Back