4" Madcow Tomach for L2!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure that the Tomach from Madcow will be my L2 build.
It will give me DD experience and a beautiful rocket on top of that.
It comes with all of the required hardware. I just have to add laundry, my Eggtimer Classic I just built, and a drogue chute.
The Tomach seems like a great L2 build. It has a nice 12" A-Bay for electronics and the sort.
At 7.5 ft. tall and over 14 pounds, it'll be my biggest rocket yet. The mmt is 75mm, so that'll be a blast!
It's actually going to be on sale starting Friday on their website with a few others at 25% off, so right around $225 ish.
I'm in no rush to get it other than the sale price because I have my second kid due in six days.
I'll probably be a little busy for a while.
Anybody have any experience with the Tomach?

It would make a fine L2 rocket. A bit large/expensive for just starting with electronics. I like starting smaller with electronics so you can do it more- say a 54mm or 2.6" rocket. Reps are good.

The Tomach would also be L3 I do believe. Build well and document it.

The Tomach would also be L3 I do believe. Build well and document it.

+1.

Let a TAP or L3CC know, document the build, and install redundant electronics and you have your L3 rocket too. It'll do around 12-13k feet on a small M.

Go big or go home. :)
I did look at the 2.2" 54mm one as well.
I think I'll put for the larger one anyways.
I didn't even think about the Lv. 3 cert as well...
That'll be a long ways out. I'll for sure take my time with this one.
I already have the electronics for the DD setup.
The next purchase would be a GPS tracker.
There was one recommended to me on here for around $365 including the receiver and transmitter.
Seems doable to me to gather all of the parts over the next 6-7 months of no fly weather here in MN.

If you just want simple location finding, Eggtimer is having a sale right now. You can get a GPS transmitter and LCD receiver kit for $100. If needed, Conman will do all the soldering for a small fee.

Honestly, on a 4", 14 lb rocket, you might not need electronics at all. On a decent 54mm J like a CTI J355, it'll go around 2700 feet. You should be able to see it the entire time (as long as you aren't landing in midwest crops), and unless you're on a small field you can use motor ejection, single deploy.

I still sometimes do DD on those low flights for practice. But it may not be necessary. Rocket however you like, just wanted to make sure you're aware of the options you have.

Go big or go home. :)

Well if yo really feel that way. Is the 54mm version the MD one? If so build that one out for your L2 and depending on your waiver and your philosophy on the cert flight, slow and low or try to challenge yourself on a flight where it counts, make a game plan.

Than save your 4" for your L3 because you may want to build it a bit different as you progress through the technologies. If so it is nice to have the option to execute based on your new experiences instead of being committed to how you see things now.

Have a look at the TeleGPS for a tracker. Contact Chris https://www.csrocketry.com/electronics/alltus-metrum.html

It's the 75mm version. I plan on adapting it down to 54mm for my L2 cert.
Our waivers are 20,000 ft. So I have plenty of room.
I'll check out the Eggtimer GPS. I just built a Eggtimer RevD. It was a blast!
I did see that they were on sale. The DX3 also looks like a fun build. Can't wait!

It's the 75mm version. I plan on adapting it down to 54mm for my L2 cert.
Our waivers are 20,000 ft. So I have plenty of room.
I'll check out the Eggtimer GPS. I just built a Eggtimer RevD. It was a blast!
I did see that they were on sale. The DX3 also looks like a fun build. Can't wait!

The Tomach should be great for L2. I wouldn't worry about doing L3 with it. By the time you've played enough at L2, you'll probably want to build a whole new rocket for L3 anyway.

Good Luck

Back