4 inch polcarb nose cone recall

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks much Tim. I was going to hold back on my build until your new 4" cone was ready. It just makes no sense, the shipping costs to send it both ways is more then the cone is worth.

OK guys I have seen enough .
CTI has handled this poorly from the start and it has just gotten worse .
If they have not taken care of you to your satisfaction please return your cone to us and when our new 4" filament wound cones are done hopefully later this month Wildman's will replace the CTI cone with a Wildman Filament wound cone when they arrive. And We will deal With CTI'

Awesome sauce. Thanks Tim!
PS... Take care of that shoulder!!

Quick update for anyone waiting. Received the following email from Sandi earlier today after I made a "soft" inquiry:

"Yes your nose cones have arrived I have replaced the cones to new ones. I have not sent them out yet we are in the process of creating coupons to send out with the replacements.

We were also considering to have a list of hardware the customer can select from, where the value is the same as the return postage. However I did not received this list from Jeroen prior to the incident. So I might just go ahead and submit the coupons with the replacements.

Thank you for your understanding, its been a very emotional month here."

As it's been more than a month since I had any communication from CTI regarding the replacement nosecones, I shot off a short email yesterday asking for a quick update. I received a reply from Sandi saying the nosecones (at least my cones) were shipped late last week. Hopefully I'll receive these later this week or next week.

Anyone else receive their replacements yet? I'm curious to see how they compensate us for the shipping.

My poor 4" Punisher has been waiting months for its nose. Hopefully I can get it all set up to fly at the end of this month.

I got an email from Sandi about needing my Ph # for customs, but have not received shipping notice yet. But they had to send me 4 cones... :blush:

Yeah, I bought too many Wildman kits... And I could have sent in one more cone...

Adrian

Received my two nosecones back over the weekend. Looks like they sanded or ground-out the inside of the cones to make them round. I'll take a picture when I'm back home, but it definitely was machined somehow - very clean and precise. The cones' shoulders fit nicely on the fiberglass couplers now. The re-shaping did create a small difference in the shoulder thickness: non-ground part is about 1.55mm thick and the ground parts vary from 1.4 - 1.45mm. Not a big difference and I'll assume that's all within spec still.

Received my two nosecones back over the weekend. Looks like they sanded or ground-out the inside of the cones to make them round. I'll take a picture when I'm back home, but it definitely was machined somehow - very clean and precise. The cones' shoulders fit nicely on the fiberglass couplers now. The re-shaping did create a small difference in the shoulder thickness: non-ground part is about 1.55mm thick and the ground parts vary from 1.4 - 1.45mm. Not a big difference and I'll assume that's all within spec still.

My NC walls were thin to begin with. Glad I didn't send mine back. I'm going to sand or machine the coupler instead as those have very thick walls.

I am just going to give mine away. I picked up one of WMs FWFG 4" cones at the last launch. You can get them in red or black.

Here's the fixed nosecone

WP_20160606_18_23_12_Pro (2).jpg

Here's the fixed nosecone

View attachment 293247

So the fix was apparently to sand/grind down the inside of the nosecone. Thanks for the info and pic!

FWIW - I'll likely just take care of this myself...should be less time and effort than to send it back and mine don't seem too bad...I'll just be very careful not to sand down too much and will likely sand the coupler at the same time and test fit as I go.

So the fix was apparently to sand/grind down the inside of the nosecone. Thanks for the info and pic!

FWIW - I'll likely just take care of this myself...should be less time and effort than to send it back and mine don't seem too bad...I'll just be very careful not to sand down too much and will likely sand the coupler at the same time and test fit as I go.

Two and a half month later.....Although I will admit that it's a nice, even machined job. I took my calipers to it and the amount ground off is consistent from the edge to top of the shoulder. Definitely not some Dremel tool job. It was along time to get it done. If mine hadn't already been in the mail when he made the offer, I probably would have exchanged at least one of them with Tim (the one for my Punisher) instead of sending it back. But now I have them, I can complete the build.

Got my 4 cones back today in the mail, along with a nice thank you from CTI. The cones all fit perfectly now on my couplers, so I think it was well worth the wait.

Adrian

Back