4 D's in a Estes Fat Boy ???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fat Boy is a BT-80.

The BT-80 is 2.6" in diameter.

Big Daddy is 3.00"

sandman

I've given the C11 thing some thought .... BUT .... I'm probrably gonna lose it first time up anyway so I may as well make it a good one !!!

Two of the tubes are blocked for D's and the other two are open for E's

this end:

I've finally gotten back at the 'ol Fat Boy. I kindof got stalled for a bit ..... but that's another story.

Whaddaya guys think of this ?.. I am still gonna use the TTW setup provided as is with the kit .... To stengthen the fins I trippled the thinkness of the fins by laminating balsa to each side ... then I sanded them to an awesome airfoil ... I am gonna use Weldbond to glue 'em on ... and eventually wood filler to really get the fillets looking good.

Fore Check .... could you redo your figures for nose wieght for me ???? You have it at 3.5oz's for the 4 D's .... how much less for the 3 D's ? I'm sure the tripple thinkness fins are gonna add a little bit of weight to the rear but I don't think as much as a D engine.

WOW , Bye Bye!!! That thing is gonna fly HIGH! I remember there being a review on EMRR about a clusterd FatBoy , take a look!
-Karl

I have had an unfinished fat boy modified for 24mm motors floating around the house all winter. It's naked as I have been waiting for warm weather to paint. My three year old boy took it upon himself to test the hardness of balsa by sinking his teeth into the free edge of two fins.

I know... a little wood filler will go a long way, but I think I will just leave the impressions and paint it as is...would certainly make for a unique finish, No?

I'm just lookin' for an excuse to buy and mod another FB anyway...hmm...perhaps 3 D's....

Here's a sweet little FB mod that I did about 5 years ago.

...and a launch pic.

Booster (on the one in the photos) has a 4x18mm cluster - one centered, 3 outboards. Upper stage is a single D12.

The second version (no pics available) has a core D12 and 3x18mm outboards in the booster, and a D12 in the sustainer.

I have 8 flights total between the 2 versions (5 and 3 respectively), and tempting fate, I've had 100% cluster ignition and 100% upper stage ignition. Altitudes reach between 1500 and 1800 feet. Both versions use three 12" parachutes for booster recovery.

Latest posts

Back