4" All fiberglass Cherokee D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Well, I started on an all fiberglass 4" diameter 3" MMT, G10 3/16" fins, Bulkplates, CRs, and MMT all fiberglass. It should really rock and roll! The drouge deployment will be Rouse Tech CO2 and the mains will be standard Bp. Its got 50 feet of 3/8" fiberglass for drouge and 15 feet of 3/8" Kevlar main. I am going to get a nice red and white parachute and drouge for it.

I will post some pics as I get farther with it. I have alot to do on it but the nosecone has its bulkhed in it and I am going to start working on finishing it and etc. I have also ordered some awesome vinyl from Sticker Shock that should be in next week. Can't wait to see it!! This rocket will be finished by a body shop and should really cook on a 4 grain L motor!!

More and pics to come!!

Ben

Hey Ben!!! wondered if you were still among us. Wondered where you've been.

Good luck on this one and......FINISH it please. LOL

Hey Ben!!! wondered if you were still among us. Wondered where you've been.

Good luck on this one and......FINISH it please. LOL

Oh it will be finished. Don't worry. Its going to be shining and have a nice ART with GPS package on it. So I can do fast/high and get it back!!

Ben

Well, our TRF member K&S rockets got the parachute bid. He has a great price on a KS-1 for drouge and KS-7 for the main. Both in red/white with red/white nylon bags for them :D

Mark at Sticker Shock is going to to make the decals and they will be here with a 5.5" Nike Smoke nosecone (thats another build thread) sometime next week :D I can't wait to get this thing done. I will post pictures of my progress tomorrow night. I have been so dag on busy!

Right now one fin is 5min tacked on and all the CR's are on with the aeropack. I am going to tack the 2nd fin and put a set of fillets on.

Ben

Well, our TRF member K&S rockets got the parachute bid. He has a great price on a KS-1 for drouge and KS-7 for the main. Both in red/white with red/white nylon bags for them :D

Mark at Sticker Shock is going to to make the decals and they will be here with a 5.5" Nike Smoke nosecone (thats another build thread) sometime next week :D I can't wait to get this thing done. I will post pictures of my progress tomorrow night. I have been so dag on busy!

Right now one fin is 5min tacked on and all the CR's are on with the aeropack. I am going to tack the 2nd fin and put a set of fillets on.

Ben

Ben,
Thanks for the order. I will have all the material on tuesday and will cut everything out weds. If all goes well I should have it done by the weekend.

Thanks

Ben,
Thanks for the order. I will have all the material on tuesday and will cut everything out weds. If all goes well I should have it done by the weekend.

Thanks

Cool!!! I tacked on one of the fins tonight and I will JBweld on another tomorrow. I am going to put some 1/2" chopped fiberglass in the fillets for some reinforcement. There will also be some 3oz fiberglass added to the fins after they are scuffed up. Just to make finishing a little easier.

Ben

Cool!!! I tacked on one of the fins tonight and I will JBweld on another tomorrow. I am going to put some 1/2" chopped fiberglass in the fillets for some reinforcement. There will also be some 3oz fiberglass added to the fins after they are scuffed up. Just to make finishing a little easier.

Ben

Ben,
Also your chutes will be marked under our new numbering system. Your small chute will be a KSR-3 and your large chute will be a KSR-12. The chutes are same info I told you just our new numbering system is based on the canopy size.

Well, I started on an all fiberglass 4" diameter 3" MMT, G10 3/16" fins, Bulkplates, CRs, and MMT all fiberglass. It should really rock and roll! The drouge deployment will be Rouse Tech CO2 and the mains will be standard Bp. Its got 50 feet of 3/8" fiberglass for drouge and 15 feet of 3/8" Kevlar main. I am going to get a nice red and white parachute and drouge for it.

I will post some pics as I get farther with it. I have alot to do on it but the nosecone has its bulkhed in it and I am going to start working on finishing it and etc. I have also ordered some awesome vinyl from Sticker Shock that should be in next week. Can't wait to see it!! This rocket will be finished by a body shop and should really cook on a 4 grain L motor!!

More and pics to come!!

Ben

Ben,

Please do keep us updated on this. I have some experience with upscaled Cherokees. Did my L2 with a 4" Cherokee, and my L3 with a 6" Cherokee.:D

May I suggest a major composite lay-up on the fincan. The Cherokee is a great looking bird, but let's face it... A 4 grain L is going to be tough on those big ol' fins.

Can't wait to see this puppy...

James

Ben,

Please do keep us updated on this. I have some experience with upscaled Cherokees. Did my L2 with a 4" Cherokee, and my L3 with a 6" Cherokee.:D

May I suggest a major composite lay-up on the fincan. The Cherokee is a great looking bird, but let's face it... A 4 grain L is going to be tough on those big ol' fins.

Can't wait to see this puppy...

James

I am deffinitally thinking about beefing this thing up. Since the smallest this will fly on is a 3 grain 54mm J I can make it weigh up to like 16lb.

I am going to put a 5 oz layer on the fins going part way up the fin and then glue the can in and put another 5oz layer all the way up the tips. I am going to drill a set of small holes through the fin so when they get Fg'd the epoxy should soak in and bite.

Ben

Ben,
Your chutes are done and boxed up. Let me know if you still need a deployment bag.

Well, here is the first set of Pictures. Here is the upper body tube after priming, sanding, and the first light coat of white that will be wet sanded with 320.

Also is a pick of the upper BT wrap from Stick Shock. It looks awesome!! I can't wait to get it put on!!

Ben

0301090915.jpg

0301090915a.jpg

well, here is the tube westsanded and smoothed to 2000 grit. Then the decals applied. I will let them dry and clear coat them tomorrow night.If I can get the fins fiberglassed I will fly it this weekend on a J something.

Ben

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

here is the tube with the nosecone on. The tube has 3 coats of clear on it and a coat of Johnsons Paste Wax. The nosecone only has 3 coats of red and that will get wetsanded tomorrow and then 3 more coats and then 1500 grit.

Ben

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

This is not some photoshop trick. I saw these my self. Ben is actually painting his own rocket.

We did spend about 10 minutes to determine the orientation of the fin decals (which aren't glued on yet)... I think he built the electronics sled first - working from the inside out and top to bottom I guess.

here is the tube with the nosecone on. The tube has 3 coats of clear on it and a coat of Johnsons Paste Wax. The nosecone only has 3 coats of red and that will get wetsanded tomorrow and then 3 more coats and then 1500 grit.

Ben

Very nice!

This is not some photoshop trick. I saw these my self. Ben is actually painting his own rocket.

We did spend about 10 minutes to determine the orientation of the fin decals (which aren't glued on yet)... I think he built the electronics sled first - working from the inside out and top to bottom I guess.

yeah, living proof. First rocket I have painted since my FIRST rocket 3 years ago!!!

I need to finish the top BP in the sled and then put the GPS and ARTS on and see how it runs. Make sure I get GPS lock so I can get this thing back!!!

I am going to work on the fiberglassing tomorrow. I figured I can get it all done tomorrow night and fly it Saturday.

Ben

Very nice!

1500 grit makes it smoother than a babies bottom.

I do suggest getting som 1500 or 2000 grit because if you put on 5-6 coats and then wet sand it with 1500 or 2000 it will knock the bumps off and make a great finish.

Ben

ok, I wil post the pics tonight. The rocket has all 3 fins on with West fillets and 1/2" chopped FG.

Ben

Ben,

You promised us pictures "tonight", and that was three days ago!:confused:

Are you going to be at Culpeper tomorrow? Forcast says sunny, clouds +12,000ft, 56º, winds @ 3 mph. A little warmer on Sunday for research, and 4 mph winds.

Ben,

You promised us pictures "tonight", and that was three days ago!:confused:

Are you going to be at Culpeper tomorrow? Forcast says sunny, clouds +12,000ft, 56º, winds @ 3 mph. A little warmer on Sunday for research, and 4 mph winds.

yeah yeah yeah. I don't think I will make it tomorrow. We are mixing Sunday and I need to clean up the garage tomorrow and take care of some other stuff.

Ben

Great flight with the D on that "L". I should have went ahead of you, I think the wind picked up 5 mph by the time you finished and mine got off the pad. Good thing Ed loaned me the transmitter and Mike had the Walston today. Finally found it hiding in the ditch along the landowner driveway.

Still can't believe I got higher on the K then you did with your L. I didn't think that fiberglass is that heavy and would make that much difference.

Were you still there for my second attempt on the J420R? I got my L2 on that one, it only went 2,604 ft so we could watch it the whole way. Tied the nosecone on right that time.

I think I left right as you were taking it to the pad. I saw you with it loaded up. I thought you got the L2 ths first time. Oh well!!

The Cherokee is built like a rock. It can take up to a 4 grain 76mm L and It weight about #15 empty. 3/16" G10 fins will do it!!

I think a 4 grain Orange Sunset will put that in the 10k foot mark I want! And I also think 4 grain Torch motor will get me the mach I want! I am going to try and kill 2 birds with one stone at Red Glare.

Ben

I think I left right as you were taking it to the pad. I saw you with it loaded up. I thought you got the L2 ths first time. Oh well!!

The Cherokee is built like a rock. It can take up to a 4 grain 76mm L and It weight about #15 empty. 3/16" G10 fins will do it!!

I think a 4 grain Orange Sunset will put that in the 10k foot mark I want! And I also think 4 grain Torch motor will get me the mach I want! I am going to try and kill 2 birds with one stone at Red Glare.

Ben

Any Pictures or video?

Back