3rd Stage for my Corona

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcsalem

Reaction score
Finally made some progress on the third stage for the Fliskits Corona. I've really enjoyed flying the two stage Corona (very high, straight flights) and I've been wanting to build a third stage for some time.

The third stage uses a 6" diameter slice from a phenolic coupler for the bottom ring fin. It's designed for 24mm motors.

The pictures below show the nearly completed stage dry fit and ready for paint.

Can't wait to try it out!

Jim

Stage3OnlySmall.jpg

CoronaSplitSmall.jpg

CoronaAssembledSmall.jpg

One question:
To make for reliable staging, I'm planning to drill a vent hole at the top of the motor tube. Will this work reliably? There is about 3/4" between the top of the 24mm 3rd stage motor and the bottom of the 18mm 2nd stage motor.

The vent hole should certainly help with reliability.

Very cool, by the way :) The sexiest multi-stage rocket gets even sexier :)

Are you going to have it out at the launch Saturday???

jim

Very cool:cool: Recovery with a streamer? I hope..One that is very visible(shiny mylar would probly be best)..First thought in seeing this was 'color that one gone with 3 stages':roll:

Hoping for a successful flight..and recovery!

Very cool:cool: Recovery with a streamer? I hope..One that is very visible(shiny mylar would probly be best)..First thought in seeing this was 'color that one gone with 3 stages':roll:

Planning on tumble recovery for the new booster -- it's quite light and I think it'll be unstable.

Luckily, I have a C11-0 pack I've stashed away. First flight will be C11-0 to B6-0 to A8-5 to have some chance of recovery. However, I'll definitely be wanting to flying it full out sometime (D12 to C6 to C6!) I've heard the BeeLine transmitter can be shaved down to fit in a BT-50 so maybe I'll try that!

Are you going to have it out at the launch Saturday???

It'll be ready. Paint is done, just need to glue on the bottom ring (which I painted separately).

However, I'm picking up my daughter at camp that day. I may try to swing by afterward but it's unlikely. I think you'll see it at the August 1st CMASS launch in Acton. However, I may wait for the big field at NERRF to launch it, especially if it's windy in Acton.

Any flight pics of this?

I'm just starting on the Corona/Corona-2, but that is one cool addition.

Back