3D Slicer Settings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
OK, I am starting this thread as a place to put 3D Printer Slicer settings. When you respond, please start the post with the printer, software, and filament used. For example, "PETG, PRUSA, CURA".

Printer: PRUSA
Material: PETG - eSun or Hatchbox
Slicer: Simplify3D

PRUSA 3D Slicer Settings:
Start with the standard PETG Settings. Then,

Extruder tab;

Extrusion multiplier -> 110 (was 100).
Coasting Distance -> 0.05 (was 0.20).

Layer tab;
Outline direction -> Outside-In (was Inside-out).
First layer height -> 75 (was 100).
First layer speed -> 50 (was 60).

Advanced tab;
Allowed perimeter overlap -> 26 (was 25).

This setting helped me reduce stringing.

I find even different colours of the same material will require some tweaks. We had the set up for transparent blue PLA. When we switched to the funky solid red, and I got gaps a the start of my layers. (needed less 'retract') so I now tend to tweak based on a new roll..

Mine above has only been used with white and transparent red.

Some considerations:

Nozzle dia:
Fan Speed:
Layer Height:
Bed Temp:
Nozzle Temp:
Infill % :
Infill Type: (Lines; Triangles etc etc)
Top Layer:
Bottom Layer:
Perimeter/Shell:

I will go better after I get my printer back up in the next couple of days.

I thought I would provide instructions for those with a Prusa i3 MK3, MK2/S and MK2.5 who would like to try Cura. So after a bit of digging I found a "How-to" article on Prusa's site, but it's a bit fuzzy, or at least I thought it was when trying to follow it. Here is a link to Prusa's instructions https://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/How+to+import+profiles+to+Cura/703.

For a high level simple overview, that I used on a Mac running MacOS Mojave 10.14, Cura 3.6 and firmware 3.5.0-1749 on a Prusa i3 MK3, read on.
  • First download Cura, it's free https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software
  • Next download the Prusa files , MK3 here https://prusa3d.com/downloads/others/mk3_cura_profiles.zip and MK2/s and MK2.5 here https://prusa3d.com/downloads/others/mk2s_mk25_cura_profiles.zip
  • Unzip the Prusa files and install Cura.
  • Run Cura. You need to run it otherwise the directory structure that is referenced next is not created as it is created on first start. When you first run Cura the wizard will try to set-up the printer, you can either select a random printer and complete the wizard or simply "force quit" the application. Don't worry if you force quit the app the wizard will pick back up when you restart and you can always re-run it. The important thing is that the folders were created as soon as you started it.
  • Go into the directory where the Prusa files were unzipped, by default this will be your download folder, mk3_cura_profiles, mk3_cura_profiles, yes I know it's a repeat redundant path that is due to how it was zipped. Inside the last mk3_cura_profiles folder you will see 5 folders and a readme. In the first folder "01_Cura_printer_definitions" copy the "json" file. json is the file extension, which is a JavaScript Open Notation file that contains the printer settings. You need to place this copy here /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/cura/3.6/definitions. The "YOURUSERNAME" is a place holder for your profile name, the 3.6 will vary based on the version of Cura that you installed
  • The rest of the files in 02,03 go in the following directories:
    • The files in the "02_Cura_printer_extruders" folder go here "/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/cura/3.5/extruders"
    • Right-click on the Cura icon "Ultimaker Cura" in your applications folder and from the context menu select "Show package contents", then place the *.stl file in the "03_Cura_platforms" folder here, "Contents->Resources->resources->meshes"
    • The remaining files in the 04 and 05 folder have to be imported
  • Open Cura and go to Settings->Printer->Add printer and select your printer, which is labelled as "Original Prusa i3..."
  • Go to "Settings -> Profile -> Manage Profiles", Click on the Profiles and Import the profiles in the
    folder 04_Cura_layerheight_profiles. Unfortunately, Cura doesn't support multiple profiles import at once so you will have to do one at a time.
  • In the Manage Printers and in the left column select "Materials". Import the files in the 05_Cura_Prusa_materials folder. Again you will have to import them one at a time.
  • The Manage printers section is also here you can "Activate" printers, materials and profiles.
This is pretty much all you need to do to use Cura with your Prusa i3 printer however Cura has a lot more settings that you will no doubt get into depending on the material and project you are working on.

Wow, thanks for the Cura instructions, clearly not an intuitive process. The link has a lot of great info as well.

Tony

Back