3D Printing 3D scanner?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Holverson

Reaction score
I'm daydreaming out loud about getting a 3D scanner. Is there a hobbyist priced one that will scan something as transparent as the plastic parts set in the Centuri Fighter Fleet, as white and shiny as the Strato-Blaster and Sweet-Vee fuselages, as black as the old Quest dress-up kit, or even something as extra shiny as Studebaker chrome pieces?

It is likely very rare that an affordable scanner will handle transparent items, high gloss/reflective items also might be a barrier. You could however give something like that a light coat with a flat primer before scanning it.

I have not seen one in my price range that will do what I want.

Has anyone inquired into sending a part to a professional to have the part scanned? I suppose costs would be shipping to/from, service charge, and preparation of the 3d file for download. I'm curious as to what the cost would be on scanning. Thanks.

I've had good success with my iPhone scanning objects and turning them into .stls. The process is "photogrammetry" and there are a few apps out there that will do it. If you are not familiar, you take about 60-80 pictures of the item at different angles and then upload for "stitching" the file together. Granted, it works better on rough textured items than smooth items (I had a killer time with a Bf-109 belly tank). It works and if it's only a few items to scan, worth the effort.

https://all3dp.com/2/best-3d-scanner-app-iphone-android-photogrammetry/

I get your daydreaming about getting a 3D scanner, it sounds like a lot of fun! When it comes to scanning transparent or shiny objects, it can be a bit tricky. But don't worry, there are definitely hobbyist-priced 3D scanners that can do the job. Have you checked out the smart engines? It's a popular choice for hobbyists and it can handle a variety of object colors and materials. This is one of the best applications for scanning that I've ever used. Another option could be the Einscan SE, which has a function specifically for scanning transparent objects. Hope this helps and happy scanning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back