3D renderings of my favorite model rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffk813

Renderer of Rockets
Reaction score
Since I got a 3D printer a few years back, I've been messing around with various 3D modeling programs to design...well, things. Nothing serious or professional, I'm more of a tinkerer. After a brief respite, I dusted off the computer again the other day in an attempt to clear out the cobwebs and learn more about the software I'm using (Autodesk Fusion 360). I started by modeling a nosecone for a rocket I'd been working on, and it kinda snowballed from there. I modeled more and more of the components for the kit until I had the entire rocket built in the software. Then I saw the "Render" button and clicked on it and I was stunned to see the output. I pretty much spent my whole weekend and put together the following three rockets, which were some of my favorites as a kid. I think I'm hooked on doing this (what better way to spend time while waiting for glue, sanding sealer, and paint to dry?) and will likely be doing every rocket I ever had or wanted as a kid.

The bonus is that for a lot of these, I'm redrawing the decals in vector format so I'll be able to reproduce them and even scale them up or down as I need to.

ASM_3D_Render.jpg

The Estes ASM. I loved this model as a kid. So much so that a few years ago I cloned it, and did an upscale. Then recently Estes re-released them so I bought about 5 kits. :) I redrew the decals for this 3D model including the tiny print, and even included the typo.

Goblin_Render_1.png

The Estes Goblin. Always like this one as a kid but never built one. I have one now on the bench, waiting for sealing and painting. Hoping to fly it this weekend.

Asteroid_Explorer_3D_Render2.jpg

The Estes Asteroid Explorer. I had this one when I was a kid and loved it. I cloned it a few years ago and promptly broke off one of the landing struts so it never flew. Time to repair. Anyway this was the last render I did this weekend and there's some weirdness going on with the roll pattern decal so I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll be posting other renders as I do them. Just because. :)

Those look great. When you model nosecones in Fusion 360 what is your process? I'd love to know how to do this with a mathematic function if such a way exists.

Those look great. When you model nosecones in Fusion 360 what is your process? I'd love to know how to do this with a mathematic function if such a way exists.

I generally do a sketch of half the nose cone's profile, and then revolve it. As for the shaping of things like the ogives, it's a bit of guesswork. TLAR (That Looks About Right) engineering LOL. For example, the nose of the Asteroid explorer has a trimmed circle at the top with the approximate radius of the tip from my physical model, and a tangent arc to the base radius point. The dimensions I plug into the software are all measured from the actual parts whenever I have them.

I generally do a sketch of half the nose cone's profile, and then revolve it. As for the shaping of things like the ogives, it's a bit of guesswork. TLAR (That Looks About Right) engineering LOL. For example, the nose of the Asteroid explorer has a trimmed circle at the top with the approximate radius of the tip from my physical model, and a tangent arc to the base radius point. The dimensions I plug into the software are all measured from the actual parts whenever I have them.

Thanks. That is what I figured, but I was hoping there was a hidden place to input an equation.

Now, where do I get that software?

If you go to the Autodesk website, you can sign up for a student license. It's good for three years supposedly. You may have to tell them you're a student of course. I signed up for some unrelated courses at the local community college so... :)

Well I modeled a couple more today but I'm having some issues uploading them. I suppose I'll have to try from the office tomorrow. 😁

So apparently the file uploader on the forum likes Chrome on my PC (work laptop) but not Chrome on my home computers (Mac). Good to know. Here are two I did yesterday:

Estes_Astron_Sprint_Render2.jpg

The Estes K-49 Astron Sprint. Had one back in the day. I always loved the clean lines and the simple color scheme. I’ve got pats to clone the K-49 as well as three of the new Sprint XL kits in the stash. The elliptical shape of the Sprint’s fins was taken from the WWII British Supermarine Spitfire, which had what some called the most perfect wing shape ever. I re-drew the original decal for this one.

Estes_Constellation_Render.png

The K-35 Estes Constellation. My uncle gave me this kit when I was 9. The teardrop fin tips were a bit of a challenge but I loved the rocket. I've got a Semroc clone kit sitting in the stash waiting to get built.

Knocked out another relatively simple one today, the K-1 Scout. The first kit I ever bought because it was cheap! :)

Estes_Astron_Scout_Render.PNG

I might do a couple different color schemes for the Alpha. This is one of the classics though:

Alpha_K-25_Render.png

So this one took some time... 3D Modeling the rocket itself was fairly straightforward though the canopy required some trial and error on my part. The big issue was the decals. I had redrawn them a few years ago when I originally cloned the kit, but I lost the original vector files and only had the JPG that I sent over to Rocketshoppe.com, which has been up on the web for download. It was meant for printing regular scale. I did a full redraw on these again as vectors in Illustrator. Also, there are a LOT of decals on this rocket, so it took a few hours to place them all.

Anyway, the rocket itself is the Estes Starblazer X-20. My Dad and I built this one together and it brings back lots of fond memories for me. As I mentioned, I cloned it a few years back, and I really want to do at least one upscale of it.

Starblazer_X-20_Render.png

Okay I went nuts with the gloss on this one, but I think the DRM look awesome with a high gloss finish. To me, when I think of model rocketry, this is the first kit that comes to mind. (I do have another render that's less shiny, but I like this one a little more).

Der_Red_Max_Render1.png

That is some nifty work you're doing there.

The Starblazer X-20 is a model that I was unfamiliar with. I like it, looks like it'd be fun to upscale.

That is some nifty work you're doing there.

The Starblazer X-20 is a model that I was unfamiliar with. I like it, looks like it'd be fun to upscale.

I've seen several upscales of it so I know it's popular. They were gorgeous. I wept. :)

So, busy weekend. I finished my Goblin, started my Constellation clone kit, and dug out a partially-built Centuri Centurion Semroc clone kit that is now ready for primer. Helped my youngest build a Hi=Flier and my wife wanted to build a rocket so I helped her build a Baby Bertha. Got a bunch of family time in, and still managed to bust out a few more renderings!

Estes_Condor_Render2.jpg

Patriot_Render.jpg

Wasp_Render.png

Starship_Vega_Render.png

Alien_Invader_Render.jpg

Of these, I think my favorite rendering is the Alien Invader. I think it came out pretty good. The Starship Vega would be my second fave of the bunch. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Condor, since it was a kit my Uncle gave me when I was a kid. Heck I like all of them or I wouldn't be doing these I guess...

Great work! Waiting to see a Bandit and/or MaxiBrute series.

You have the beginnings of your own Estes Catalog.

Centuri had some winners as well, like the Laser X and Quasar.

Greg

Greg

Believe it or not, I'm doing a Bandit as we speak. :)

So, busy weekend. I finished my Goblin, started my Constellation clone kit, and dug out a partially-built Centuri Centurion Semroc clone kit that is now ready for primer. Helped my youngest build a Hi=Flier and my wife wanted to build a rocket so I helped her build a Baby Bertha. Got a bunch of family time in, and still managed to bust out a few more renderings!

View attachment 324407

Ahh, the Vega. The first rocket I ever painted properly. Built it while in bed after an appendectomy. Loved that rocket. It was beautiful, and I'll never forget that flight. Ejection charge didn't fire and she arrowed straight in, the nose was forced into the airframe. I screamed...and quit rocketry. Reborn about 25 years ago.

Best,
Terry

Greg

Finished this one yesterday, but as mentioned previously, I can't upload the images from my Mac at home, and have to use my PC here at work. :) I was already working on it when you asked, Greg! While I love the "exotic" type rockets, there's something about the clean lines of a simple, but well designed "standard" rocket that catches my eye. The Bandit was always one of those for me.

Bandit_Render.png

I had a request from a member of the Model Rocketry Fanatics!!! Facebook group (where I cross-post these renderings) for the Estes Renegade. At first I thought he wanted the newer version, but he actually wanted the older kit #1271 rocket. This is actually one that I always skimmed past in the catalogs, but after doing the 3D model of it, I have a new appreciation for it's lines and color scheme.

Renegade_Render.png

Back