3D renderings of my favorite model rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are sweet!

as a seasoned Mech Desktop & Inventor user (now currently on Creo), you've outdone yourself! Let's see some exploded views!

We run our models thru 'keyshot' afterwards for some really cool renderings.. (cuze Creo kinda sucks for rendering!)

https://www.keyshot.com/

Questions for you:
Are you building them component by component?
Are you building library files for some of the components, wherein you can import a part, and enter one or two parameters, an the part is then automatically adjusted to those dimensions? (that's where a parametric 3D program like this, really pays off!!) I believe some of these need to be table driven; reading off an excel sheet..
Are you applying formulas to your dimensions? To answer one of the replies, you should be able to enter a formula for the line of the NC, to get ti tot generate as needed, then revolve the profile. And, if done right, you should only need enter dia & length, and the formula / spreadsheet will work itself out.

Questions for you:
Are you building them component by component?
Are you building library files for some of the components, wherein you can import a part, and enter one or two parameters, an the part is then automatically adjusted to those dimensions? (that's where a parametric 3D program like this, really pays off!!) I believe some of these need to be table driven; reading off an excel sheet..
Are you applying formulas to your dimensions? To answer one of the replies, you should be able to enter a formula for the line of the NC, to get ti tot generate as needed, then revolve the profile. And, if done right, you should only need enter dia & length, and the formula / spreadsheet will work itself out.

Yes, I do build them component by component. I generally don't put in a recovery device, but the motor mounts are complete.
I would like to learn how to build a library of components by the part number, but so far I'm not having much luck. I attempted to build a PNC-60AH as a component, for example, and then copy / paste it into a new design, but it's not working. I have more learning to do. :)
As for formulas, no, I'm not doing that. Yet. Again, I'm just learning the ins and outs so the more automated processes will come later.

Thanks for the kind words!

Okay, as promised... here's the Estes Rogue. I had it completely built and ready to render, but when I went to save it, the software locked up and I lost everything so I had to start over. Anyway, Here it is!

Rogue_Render.png

So way back when, I was a member of the Estes Aerospace Club. As part of the membership pack, they sent you the EAC Viper kit. Loved the design, but was less than crazy about the proposed paint scheme. I think I painted mine all black. But it was still a great rocket. Someone in the FB group I cross-post these to mentioned that it is actually a BT-50 based model with a mini engine, but I mistakenly modeled this one with an 18mm engine mount. I suppose that's what I get for being distracted. Anyway, here it is...

EAC_Viper_Render.jpg

I never ran across this rocket in any of the local hobby shops around me when I was a kid. I drooled over it in the Estes catalogs though. Not a big rocket (Mini engine powered) but begging to be upscaled. Now that I redid the decals for the 3D rendering, I might just do it Although I think Stickershock may have them (?). I need to finish my 1:1 scale clone I started a few years ago first though. The Estes Pegasus (0806):

Pegasus_Render.png

Got a few more done last week but couldn't post them from my Mac. First up was a rocket that I just finished building and painting, though I accidentally used the wrong instructions for painting (I lot the originals and downloaded the others from Estes), and so ended up with about 2" more orange than I should have. The rocket still looks good though. Here's a (correctly) rendered 3D model of the Photon Disruptor II:

Photon_Disruptor_II_Render_2.png

Next was a quick and simple rocket, but one that always caught my eye. Simple lines and a cool graphic, kinda like the Goblin decal, but stretched out a bit. The Estes Scamp:

Scamp_Render.png

And finally for this batch, one of my all-time favorites, and a favorite of seemingly everyone else too, the Estes Orbital Transport. Note that this rendering was done from the original instructions, and used the more rounded nose cone on the booster. The re-release had a more pointed one.

Orbital_Transport_Render.png

You are doing god's work there, sir.[/QUOTE}

LOL, Thanks!

Any plans for an Interceptor?

Actually, yes. I'm still trying to work out how best to model the nosecone. I've got a preliminary but I'm not totally happy with it so I'm holding off on that until I get it just right. At that point the Interceptor will be done as well as the Vindicator!

Last weekend the wife, and I took our youngest (15) to our first NARAM ever. We spent an afternoon there watching lost of cool rockets and meeting awesome new people. One of those people was Randy Boadway of eRockets / Semroc. Randy and I had some interesting discussions and I traded him some money for some rocket kits... One of which was the newly released Semroc clone kit of the Farside-X. Very cool rocket form way back with beautiful lines and an eye-catching color scheme. I never bought one because they were out of production the year before I was born. Besides, as a city-dweller, I barely had enough room to launch single-stage rockets if I ever wanted to see them again!

Anyway, I was inspired to render this model by the Semroc clone kit, but I modeled it with the Estes decals.

The Farside-X:

Farside-X_Astron_Clear_Decal_Render.png

It seems that while everybody likes the flashy, complex designs, it's the simple ones that everyone really has a profound reaction to.

I did this one in a relatively short amount of time yesterday and after posting to the Model Rocketry Fanatics group on FB it's generated a significant amount of likes and replies. I suppose it's because LOTS of people over the years have built and launched (and lost) the Mosquito.

Mosquito_Render.png

Got this one done yesterday. Seems like it's a very popular rocket. I always thought it was a really cool design.

The Ram Jet:

Ram_Jet_Render.png

Back