3D printing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good 3D printing program that I could use to design parts? I want to order some parts from shapeways but I dont know any good programs out there.

Does anyone know of a good 3D printing program that I could use to design parts? I want to order some parts from shapeways but I dont know any good programs out there.

123d, Onshape, OpenScad, Tinkercad

Tinkercad is great for starting out. The team is working on it a ton right now too, so it gets new features all the time. It's really easy to use too.

Fusion360 is another one you can use from Autodesk. If you're a hobbyist or student (i.e. non-commercial), you can get a free license. It's much more capable, but takes a little more to learn. Both are really nice.

Tinkercad is an incredibly easy way to get started. Just go make a free account and look at the tutorials. You'll be designing your own stuff before you know it.

Later you can move onto the more powerful tools as desired.

Thanks. Im not really looking to design something too complicated, just some fin jigs and nose cones.

You may want to contact some people on the forum to print it for you. It will be a lot cheaper than Shapeways.

The new format of Thingiverse seems nice, but it's really screwed up in one major respect. I have a lot of collections. When you find a Thing that you want on the main window and select 'save to collection' the drop-down selection box will only show 30 collections max - I have at least double that. If you select the Thing and try to 'collect thing' from its page, same thing: only 30 collections. I've only found one way to get to all of my collections, and that is to select the designer of the Thing, go to his/her page of designs, and the Things displayed there will have the old 'select a collection' drop-down that will show more (I assume all) of your collections. This is a big nuisance and an abject failure in web page design. I only hope that they don't 'upgrade' the designer page to a similar fail.

Tinkercad is great for starting out. The team is working on it a ton right now too, so it gets new features all the time. It's really easy to use too.

Fusion360 is another one you can use from Autodesk. If you're a hobbyist or student (i.e. non-commercial), you can get a free license. It's much more capable, but takes a little more to learn. Both are really nice.
I second the Fusion 360.
You can also get cheap on line courses on how to use this one and it also does your slicing.

Latest posts

Back